What is your photo setup?

justletgo

Cannon Fodder
First post for me :)
hahaha straight to the camera section haha im always keen to see what other people run on their photo trips and see what works and what doesnt.

Im currently running -
Nikon D300
24-75mm f2.8 Tamron
70-300 VR Nikon (not the f2.8 version)
11-16mm f2.8 Tokina
50mm f1.8 Nikon

2x Nikon SB600 flash
some cheap as ebay triggers

broken tripod haha

im usually at the race track shooting cars, but im keen to come out and snap some bikes, i love the expresions you can get on the riders face haha

song

Likes Dirt
Anyone still on this thread? That I could bother for thoughts on comparing the 3100 to the 1100D or 550D?
550D for sure, its worth the money. 1100D is great for begineers but after a month of taking photos its gonna limit you in what you can do. Nikon D3100 is a good camera very close with the 550D or 600D, but like the 1100D it's gonna limit you in the long run. The canon 550D is the best choice for Video, and photo in the way, it helps you to understand your camera as a begineer but when you become a more experienced photographer videopgrapher it will not limit your possibilities. Try stretch your budget and get a 600D.

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
550D for sure, its worth the money. 1100D is great for begineers but after a month of taking photos its gonna limit you in what you can do. Nikon D3100 is a good camera very close with the 550D or 600D, but like the 1100D it's gonna limit you in the long run. The canon 550D is the best choice for Video, and photo in the way, it helps you to understand your camera as a begineer but when you become a more experienced photographer videopgrapher it will not limit your possibilities. Try stretch your budget and get a 600D.
Think 550D might be the limit budget wise, depends on how much the family will chip in for the 21st! Dropped in to my local camera store and they said similar things, nice to know it wasn't just sales jargon :) thanks for the hints!

song

Likes Dirt
Think 550D might be the limit budget wise, depends on how much the family will chip in for the 21st! Dropped in to my local camera store and they said similar things, nice to know it wasn't just sales jargon :) thanks for the hints!
A cheap option would be buying overseas, thats when you realise the amount of tax the Government charges! but compare your store prices with this store http://www.d-d-photographics.com.au/ i buy most of my stuff here, its slightly more expensive then overseas prices, but it comes with a shop back warranty for a year, free shipping on order over $100, they have a shop in North Sydney and Brisbane. Good Luck.

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A cheap option would be buying overseas, thats when you realise the amount of tax the Government charges! but compare your store prices with this store http://www.d-d-photographics.com.au/ i buy most of my stuff here, its slightly more expensive then overseas prices, but it comes with a shop back warranty for a year, free shipping on order over $100, they have a shop in North Sydney and Brisbane. Good Luck.
Was going to get the GST back on TRS before I go overseas, I was worried about international warranty when I'm travelling, does such thing exist for DSLRs? Will check the site out cheers

TKRS25

Squid
Heya,

Hanging for the VIC DH Series to come around again so I can start taking some more pics...good fun :)

Current setup for me is..

Canon 7D
Canon 15-85
Canon 70-200 f4

Personally love using the zoom lens the most (best lens I've ever had) and like to be able to try and throw something in the foreground that's blurred out with DOF.
Unfortuntelyt the 15-85 is a variable aperture so it's struggles a bit at the long end (only goes f5) so I'm thinking if Santa is good to me this year I'm aiming for a 24-70 2.8 that I'll use for most of the series for 2011/2012.

If you want good inspiration for MTB shots check out Gary Perkin and Sven Martin (these guys contribute to vitalmtb.com a lot)..awesome work.

Macr

Likes Dirt
Nikon D700

My current set up is:

Nikon D700
Nikkor 50mm f1.8
Nikkor 17-35mm f2.8
Nikkor 24-70mm f2.8
Nikkor 70-200mm f2.8 VRI
Nikkor 24-300mm f3.5-5.6
Nikkor 28mm f2 Ai-s (I think)
2x Nikon SB-900 Strobes
Nikon SB-28

I photograph a broad range of topics and styles, but shoot concerts for a local rock magazine. I want to photograph mtbing, but haven't done much, yet. Well not with this camera. But I am confident, that I have progressed since then.

Last edited:

shakes

Likes Dirt
I'm rocking an old canon eos400d few years old now but gets me a few nice shots.

have the two shitty kit lenses on the shelf gathering dust.
90% of what I shoot I use the canon f1.8 50mm prime lens

and a tamron 11-18 f4.5 which I got super cheap second hand. Get some nice distortion going on with it.

I've also started using film, scored a Pentax "asahi s1a" mid 70's slr with a true f2 35mm lens have ran some vintage film through that with great results.

I've just picked up a nikon f4 for nothing that I need to sort out a couple of minor thing on has a 80-200mm lens of unknown origins. If I like that will more than likely trade in my canon for a newer nikon SLR as a couple of mates use them and being able to trade/borrow lenses would be nice.

The next place I move to a major consideration will be it having a room that I can convert to a darkroom to process film as it's goddamn expensive to get printed!!!!

Chamakazae

Likes Bikes
My current kit:

Canon 550D
Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6
...and an unused kit lens

Looking at a 430ex II and some Cactus v5's. Or maybe a few cheaper Yongnuo flashes.

Maybe a 70-200mm f/2.8L in the future.

Also, not sure what body to get next, 50D or 7D? 50D is half the price of the 7D, not sure if I can really justify the price.

Feel free to check out my page: Sean Lee Photography

patto_15

Wheel size expert

Bag Check....

Canon EOS 40d
Canon EOS 630
Olympus Trip 35
Agfa Prontor Super Silette SVS

Canon EF 15mm f/2.8
Canon EF 28mm f/2.8
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Canon Speedlight 580EX II
Achiever TZ250
Cactus V4's

Ilford XP2 Super 400 B/W film
Kodak High Definition 200 Colour Film

Speedlight gels, batteries, tripod, Canon CB5L charger, Ipod, Vetrap (Amazing stuff, and good for strapping bad wrists when out riding), Leaf stickers, Coins (always handy), Passes for The Shed & Rampit.

Joshi95

Likes Bikes
What I currently run:
Canon 500d
18-55mm lens
55-250mm lens
12mm lensbaby fisheye lens
and an old velbon tripod

I could do with a flash though but ill have to save up!

srsbsns

Likes Bikes
So glad there's a photography thread. My current gear-check is:

Canon 7d

Canon 24-105L f4
Tamron 10-24
Tamron 60 f2 macro

2x 430exII
Remote triggers
Manfrotto tripod
Various grads and CPLs

2x lightstands
Various snoots, softboxes and umbrellas

Havn't actually taken that many riding photos recently but I'm looking to get back into it a bit more. Should be investing in a 70-200L f4 hopefully in the next week or so before I head to Whistler

Andrew Benson

Likes Dirt
Updated gear from my Old 550d and 18-55

Now have

Canon 7d
Canon 17-40mm F/4 L
Canon 70-200mm F/2.8L (Ordering next week sometime)
Canon 55-250mm F4-5.6 (selling very soon)
Canon 50mm F1.8 II
Canon 430 EX II
Manfrotto tripod

Stepped up my equipment alot from only about a year ago when I first posted in here haha.