What was you first true mt bike

rone

Eats Squid
Muddy Fox Courier Comp. Bought new in 1988 from Watson Cairns motor and Cycle shop in Leeds. It was the business - Exage Mountain 21 speed groupset with biopace rings and chainstay mounted U brake with 4 finger levers. There is a photo somewhere of me riding it up Mt. Snowdon in North Wales (1080m). 3.5 hours up - 25 minutes down. Ended up ovalising the headtube (fixed with lump hammer, paint touched up and sold) Ah, the memories...

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
2000 Raleigh RS5000. Rigid, 21 speed. Great bike and I still have it—just way too small for me now.

floody

Wheel size expert
Early 90s Mongoose IBOC team, I upgraded the forks to RS Mag 21 - it took me 2 summers worth of slavery to save up the coin when I was 13
Mad, one of the crazy triangular profile top tube ones? Like this

Wacky, by jeebus they were s-s-s-s-s-t-t-i-f-f-f-f-f bikes though.

Last edited:

ja_har

Likes Dirt
92 GT Corrado - CrMo fully rigid.

Back doing about 100km a week as a commutter after a few years rest...

macca_1972

Likes Dirt
1997 Shogun Trailbreaker 1, fully rigid. Had all the good gear like 18 speeds, centre pull brakes and indexed Shimano thumbshifters (no triggers) with the little rotary gear indicator dials. Had such a basic spec even compared with my next bike that I bought only three years later, a Schwinn Moab 3 hardtail.

Still have both, the Shogun frame has been repainted and is currently being built up into a commuter. As I upgraded the Schwinn over the years, a lot of the old parts from it (wheels, v-brakes, derailleurs, etc) are going into the commuter build.

Adrian

Junkie (not the adrenalin type either)
Old-school Apollo Cheetah black and purple, size way-too-large. Second hand.

Bent the frame on the back of a car.

And then a Malvern Star Cobra SS (Y frame hardtail), with RST 182's and shimano 'megarange'.

Gave it to my little brother. It's been stolen twice, got it back twice, and he still rides it.

wazzaa

Likes Bikes
2001 Kona Caldera

If anyone ever rides the two creeks track, the frame (or a piece of it anyway) is hanging in a tree halfway along

FoxRidersCo

Sanity is not statistical
1996 Spooky Cycles Metalhead, Hope bulb hubs, psylo forks, hayes comps, D521's, profile racing bars/stem, profile cranks

Then:

2001 Norco 250cc

Sherman firefly, profile cranks, 24" doublewide rims, hayes purples, protaper bars, azonic shorty stem etc...

Till it got stolen and vanished never to be seen again :(

Last edited:

Warwick

Likes Dirt
The first one I bought to ride on the dirt was...old bike.jpg. I thought others were mad riding carbon hardtails, or anthems. The cannondale was good for me, but in retrospect, hardly the best bike available.
Gordo may disagree as he won some 24 hour thingy on one, but....

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Comes down to what you define as 'real'. My first ever bike was a 2000 Specialized Rockhopper FSR, but I don't really count that...
First bike was probably a Norco A Line, closely followed by a Giant XTC C1, closely followed by a Jamis Dragon Team. All within the space of 6 months so I've never really had a second bike for each discipline...

Passed on the Specialized to my younger cousin to get him shredding, still thrashing the XTC (now with Dragon Team spec) and single speeding the Dragon!

Last edited:

DWNHLR01

Likes Dirt
mine was a...98? Mongoose Pro NX8.0

Rock Shox 'Jetts', Deore drivetrain, 3 chain rings, reaaaaaally long stem, flat bars, etc. Rode the crap out of it and then someone took me to a DH track.

Few weeks after I got my first real bike, Orange Patriot. Was a huge step up!

jumpers

Likes Dirt
'93 - Appollo Everest - top line at time,paid $950 cash - rigid. Was fun but then began ride it "dh" - crackd it after year and gave up.

Last edited:

kona_kona

Likes Dirt
2002 Kona Stuff for my 13th Bday. Rocked up for the local shop ride and Darcy (owner) wheeled it out and said "here's your new bike". I thought he was taking the piss ;)

Still have the frame hanging up. Served me many years of great riding, I wish I could build her up again but I just have more important things to save for.

Mr Kurt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A 2007 giant yukon, still got it, and still ride it. Its been in better condition, the brakes are shoty, the crank makes noises that a bike shouldn't. But its got FANTASTIC tyres, that are almost brand new.

camo71

Likes Dirt
95 or 96 ? 2nd hand Metallic green GT LTS 4000 All terra... not a bad frame ,had pretty crappo components by todays standards though...its long gone now though, now its an 07 Rockhopper ,i like it, good bike for the money i paid....