What was your first mountain bike

SilverSP

Likes Bikes
My first was a Avanti Montari that I brought secondhand.
I think it was around early 90's when I got it but unsure of it's age.
Black large frame with blue/green specks in paint. 18 speed I think.

Sold that for my first front suspension which was simply called a YAK, 21 speed and was also made in NZ.
I loved it was it was bright red and did everything I wanted it to. I missed that bike when I sold it and moved to Oz in the late 90's.
I have to find some photos as I'm sure I'll have both bikes somewhere.

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
2010 Mongoose Tyax Sport. Served its purpose and taught me the basic mtb skills to feed my addiction now!

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
My first MTB was a second hand 24" Graecross MTB, used to take it camping with the family and ride around on the fire trails wherever we camped with the fishing rod across the handlebars. My first proper 26" MTB was a Raleigh RS5000 (2000 model). 21spd Shimano Acera, Suntour cranks, Joytech hubs, a great bike and still in use today with a few upgrades.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
First real MTB I wanted was a Giant ATX 360 (not sure if 360 is the right model number.. could have been 860), then a bit later my dream bike was a Norco Nitro, it was at a time when the names Cadel and Tomac graced the pages of AMB magazines from memory! But anything except my Dunlop (which got stolen and replaced by another Dunlop) was just a dream.

Eventually I got a real mtb, Specialized Hardrock Comp 2001 model, no disc brakes and before that line went more towards fatter alloy tubes etc. Disc brakes were just starting to appear on bikes then. If I'd gone with the other choice it would have been a Giant Iguana instead.

It's kind of funny that recently I've pricked up a year 2000 Brodie Kinetic frame.....don't really regret not keeping the Hardrock at all :D

Xmetal

Give this man a job, we want pics!
First bike - a 'Holstar'.

First real bike - Evolved from a Cell to a Specialized Bighit.

rolandproducts

Cannon Fodder
1978, hand-built Breezer.

Helmets had not yet been invented.
this is just about the most spectacular bike i have ever seen - still got it?

I used to get around on this (rigid) Giant ATX840 for schoolboy XC - used to always run behind smarter guys on road bikes: the courses were not overly challenging.

giant-atx-840_1.jpg

(protip: not me :) )

after a 15 year absence i have picked one of these up to ease myself back into mtb:

IMG_1203.jpg

(2011 Specialized Camber Elite 29er - stock)

Looking at/thinking of ways to make it a touch lighter and more nimble.