Whats the best beer you've had & why?

Pete J

loves his dog
I have been enjoying a bit of Gambrinus beer lately, there is a shop just up the road that sells 500ml cans for 1.59e (which is bloody cheap here!) and i am stoked on it. This beer beats all the local stuff by a country mile and is also cheaper by a sizeable margin. Gotta be happy with that. :D

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
2 Brother's Pear Cider on tap at the brewery. They have somehow managed to get a good balance of dry and sweet, very crisp and refreshing.

Ryan

Radministrator
I have been enjoying a bit of Gambrinus beer lately, there is a shop just up the road that sells 500ml cans for 1.59e (which is bloody cheap here!) and i am stoked on it. This beer beats all the local stuff by a country mile and is also cheaper by a sizeable margin. Gotta be happy with that. :D
Gambrinus is Czech and super-popular in the Czech Republic, maybe even more so than Urquell or Budvar. Those guys know a thing or two about beer. I could go a few right now.

Pete J

loves his dog
Gambrinus is Czech and super-popular in the Czech Republic, maybe even more so than Urquell or Budvar. Those guys know a thing or two about beer. I could go a few right now.
Yeah, Czech it is.
I didn't know anything about it when i first bought it but after the first one i knew i was onto a good thing. Hopefully the shop i get it from keeps it as one of their regular lines, i will miss this beer alot otherwise cos i haven't seen it on sale anywhere else.
To top it off you get 15c back from every can so that drops the price to 1.44e for 500ml which is unbeatable!

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Coopers pale + scotch and soda at The Fox after a shit Friday at work. It's not the beer that makes the best beer, it's the context in which it is enjoyed.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There are simply some beers that you don't try because you know what the result will be before you try them, so you don't, but then curiosity gets the better of you.

Meet two of the lowest rated beers I've ever had the displeasure of tasting.

Cruiser Hummingbird Blonde 4% and Cruiser Hummingbird Blonde with Passionfruit 4%.

Normally I would go through appearance, aroma, flavour etc but it would simply be a waste of time. There is one reason alone that crap like this exists and that is to make money from women and effeminate young men, this stuff is rubbish.

On the upside,

Great Divide Brewing Co. Hercules Double IPA 9.1%abv.
I was a little intimidated by this one so it took a while to purchase, it sounded like an extreme brew and the price tag of $15 for a 330ml bottle was a little excessive to say the least. Also at a massive 85 IBU's it had the potential to blow one's head off or at least cause your face to cave in, some American beers I've tried of late seem to go one way or another, pissweak or OTT with few in between.
Upon opening it is clear coppery honey amber with a few flakes of sediment and a soft beady head. The aroma is terrific, sweet malt entwined with herbaceous hops. The bottle is sitting empty in the room I'm in now and I can still smell it. The flavour is amazingly smooth and malty with a hoppy bitter finish, not nearly as aggressive as most IPA's and not what I expected at all. This one gives no inkling of the powerful alcohol within just rich sweet malt goodness. It's a lovely drop but I still think $15 a bottle is absurd.

skivi

Likes Dirt
Home Brew Cider

yep got me an OzTops Brew Kit from here: www.oztops.com.au and 2L of Berri preservative free Apple juice from woolys for a $1.90, the paper says it's going to hover around 25°C for the next 4 days so I've got the yeast and a heaped spoonful of good quality honey (for some kick ;) ) in the bottle and the special cap on, into the laundry cupboard and i'll drag it out in about 4 days then into the fridge for 48 hours. from people i know that have used the kits before reckon it's relatively fool proof, incredibly easy to do and provides a big scope for experimentation. i'll post up my results next week.
ok well batch #1 was drunk last night, pretty crisp and fruity, the honey helped a lot but it really lacked more punch alcohol and taste wise, still very sweet and not hugely complex or anything. gonna let the next lot ferment for longer and probably double the honey and try a stick of cinnamon in there too.

Adamski

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I picked up a case of 5 Seeds for $45 the other night, i didn't mind it to be honest, quite refreshing!
As mentioned Fatman, could you recommend a few other ciders around that price range if possible?
Just bought a 6 pack seeing as it's quite a hot day and I feel like drinking at 2pm.

Pipsqueak Cider is Little Creatures' effort. I like it, but I don't know much about cider. It's widely available, I picked it up in Liquorland for about $13 for a 4 pack.
Pipsqueak is a wonderful cider, has much more bite than 5 Seeds.

5 Seeds is much sweeter than Pipsqueak too.

On Sunday I went to the Little Creatures Dining Hall in Brunswick St and had lunch with my girlfriend. I went to order a pilsner and the waiter chick recommended I try this limited run 'Little Creatures Special Bitter' which she said was similar to the Pilsner. The brewery had run a comp for all the local home brewers to come up with the best recipe and in turn LC would brew a run of it. The LC Dining Hall only got 10 kegs of it for the whole month.

First impressions...very woody. Three hops combined gave it almost the exact taste of walnut, particularly the palate flattening taste of the husky skin on a walnut. Very easy to drink and something different! Get in there while you can Melbournites!

Adamski

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Boag's premium for a aussie beer
I've never under any situation opened a bottle of that and said 'blimey that's an average beer'.

Great drop and internationally acclaimed.

Boags Pure on the other hand is a little underwhelming...interesting at first but lacks a finish...almost like you just had a sip of water. Very strange.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Now here's an odd one, we went to the Local Taphouse in Darlinghurst this afternoon and stumbled upon the Absinthe Salon in Albion St on the way home and ended up many hours late for an appointment.
I never realised it was such a ritual and a misunderstood tipple, this is a discovery for the more mature out there and not accentuating the high alcohol content. Not at all cheap but what a trip.

On the beer front we did have an excellent APA by the name of Feral Hop Hog IPA. I had a number of pints of this wonderful stuff but the Absinth just took us right over. Thankyou to Joop and the crew at the Absinth Salon for a blinding evening.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Coopers Clear anyone?
The official launch was yesterday, we've had it in for about a week and the feedback has been mixed.
Personally I'm not fond of it, just another insipid low carb. As the 62 proved, just because it's Coopers doesn't make it good.

LJohn

Likes Dirt
The 62 was pretty awful. I preferred water over Boag's Pure too.

I'm still an ale man, so anybody know where to get some White Rabbit in SW WA?

skivi

Likes Dirt

• Having a pint of this with Dad to accompany our pepper Steak dinner tonight, it's been a few months since i've had an English ale, it's certainly the darkest beer i've had in months as this heat doesn't get me too excited for it and neither has the steak. pretty creamy with a lot of subtle flavours there but i can't really distinguish them from the food, should have just had it on it's own as it's far from unpleasant, it just deserves some space i reckon.

• i had some of New Zelands own Monteith's new new 'Crushed Apple Cider' last night after work, i'm quickly becoming a cider nut and summer just fuels my love for the stuff though i was left a bit disappointed with this, the Apple just had no presence, the power of the lemon/orange zest made me think there was a peel left in the bottle which was great but way to dominant, dry finish and a lingering citrus burn. probably wouldn't buy it again for a while, let them refine it first.

Binaural

Eats Squid
Somewhere, in the evil twin of this thread "what's the worst beer you've had and why" would be most English real ales. Where I live in the UK they're mad for them, and they're normally pretty awful. I stick to the palatable few, but even they are not good. Problem is that the alternative international beers are really bland. What I'd give to get hold of German beer more easily. Sorry, this is not a favourite beer, but I had to rant somewhere ;)