Whats the best beer you've had & why?

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. 2012 Bigfoot Barley Wine Style Ale. 9.6%abv. Deep clear amber with a thick uneven foamy head. Huge complex aromas of chocolatey malt backed up with piney hops and some candied fruit. Big malt but also a large dose of hops gives this a full and creamy body tempered with a tongue smacking bitterness. It's another slow sipping beer, the alcohol is well masked but the astringent bitterness more pronounced and the finish is similar to some peaty whisky. It actually seems hoppier than the Hoptimum. I admit I like this one a lot, I'm going back for a few more tomorrow. It needs further study to identify all the flavours, that and it is quite nice.

itsajoke

Likes Dirt
The Quiet American

First go of Little Creatures Single Batch. The hype is to be believed. A touch bitter but it is generally a pleasant LC experience. Packs a punch too, just quietly.

Calv

Likes Bikes
Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster in this thread. Have enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts on various beers, especially Fatman's opinions and very informative descriptions! Still training my palate to notice more of the flavours, etc. Right now I'm more of a "I like the taste of that, No I don't like that one" kinda guy :)

Some current faves of mine include Deschutes Black Butte Porter, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, and Deschutes Red Chair NWPA.

Fatman - Thanks for your opinion on the Sierra Nevada 2012 Bigfoot Ale. I have a bottle given to me by a mate, that I'm keen to try! Will let you know what I think of it.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Some midweek sampling.

Karl Strauss Brewing Company. Red Trolley Ale. 5.8%abv. (Irish Red Ale) Light clear copper with glassy fine bead and an uneven crumbly brown head. Rich sweet toffee and fruity caramel aromas with some background spicy hops. Light bodied and thin but it grabs the back palate, flavours are a little subdued and the malt overwhelms everything but it isn't thick and chewy. I must admit this is one of my least favourite styles and this one has done nothing to improve that. There is definately some great flavours in this beer, I want more but the beer can't provide. Maybe six or so might do it but I'm not compelled to spend any more on this.

Karl Strauss Brewing Company. Tower 10 IPA. 7.0%abv. (US IPA) Clear light honey amber with a fine lazy bead and a dense foamy head. Light pineapple and sappy piney citrus aromatics with some sweet malty undertones. Thin and bitter with some well masked but large alcohol, it lacks the backing malt of many an IPA but the flavours are great. No big malt means greater intensity of the hops but it buggers up the balance, chew on a Camphor Laurel leaf or eat some ear wax and you have the idea. Finish is dry and lingering.

bellsy

Likes Dirt
Not cheap ($75-80 a carton) but I tried this a couple of weks ago and it was amazing. Straight to my top 3 fave beers.
I found it a bit bland at first (after drinking Squires 150 lashes) but after a few mouthfulls it brought out a really full flavour, not to sweet, not too bitter, and it was super super smooth...

Balmain Brewing Pale Ale - http://www.balmainbrewingcompany.com.au/pale-ale

"THE BALMAIN PALE ALE WAS LAUNCHED IN MAY 2010 IN CELEBRATION OF TRADITION, MATES AND PUB CULTURE. A DISTINCTIVE FULL FLAVOURED ENGLISH–STYLE ALE, THE BALMAIN PALE ALE DISPLAYS A RICH MALT CHARACTER UPFRONT WHICH IS DERIVED FROM A BLEND OF TWO BASE AND THREE SPECIALITY MALTS. USED IN CONJUNCTION
THE RESULT IS A BEAUTIFUL GOLDEN-COPPER COLOUR WITH HINTS OF SWEET CARAMEL ON THE PALATE. MALT IS BALANCED WITH A MIX OF 3 COMPLEMENTARY HOP VARIETIES THAT GIVE AN ASSERTIVE YET CLEAN BITTERNESS, ALONG WITH AN AROMA PROVIDING HINTS OF CITRUS HUE AND MILD SPICE NOTES. THE BALMAIN PALE ALE IS ALL NATURAL AND UNFILTERED, AND AT 4.9% ABV, IT’S PERFECT TO ENJOY ON ITS OWN OR PAIRED WITH YOUR FAVOURITE LOCAL DISH. BALMAIN PALE ALE IS BEST ENJOYED AT 6-8°C TO BRING OUT THE COMPLEXITY AND BALANCE. IT HAS BEEN DESIGNED FOR THE DRINKING PLEASURE AND ENJOYMENT OF BEER DRINKERS
AND CRITICS ALIKE."

4.9% ABV

Kosiuszko Pale Ale and White Rabbit Dark Ale are also up there. Both full favoured and super smooth.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Despite the title you don't always have to review good beer.

Unknown Brewery (made for Woolworths).Tun Bitter. 4.0%abv. (Lager, USA)
Clear light golden straw with a lively bead and rapidly dissipating crunchy head. Light yeasty aroma with a little malt and possibly some weak citrus but really there's not much at all there. Soft and smooth with a crisp finish and a hint of bitterness but theres something missing here, hard to put my finger on but it turns out that flavour is the ingredient this is missing. 30 cans for a little over 30 dollars, imported from the US and Woolies are making big margin on it should give you some idea of this brews calibre. Theres little to dislike or like about this stuff, it's definitely cheap but not too cheerful. This is just another of their own brands to take on the big brewers, while I have no fondness for many of the big brewers I like this sort of thing even less. Pretty poor.

Cerveceria Modelo SA De C.V. Negra Modelo. 5.4%abv (Dark Lager, Mexico) Deep clear reddish coppery amber with a fine bead and soft pillowy head, hardly the black as the name would suggest. Sweet roasty malt aromas, not much in the way of hops and theres a little yeast in the background and some feint nutmeg and apricot. Smooth and medium bodied it drinks well, this stuff would session very easily. The alcohol is noticeable in that it warms the back palate a little, theres something about it I quite like but at the same time there's a bit missing. The aftertaste is a bit yeasty but not like bad homebrew and there are no lees left in the bottle. Not bad considering they make one of the worst beers in the world - Corona.

Last edited:

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. 2012 Bigfoot Barley Wine Style Ale. 9.6%abv. Deep clear amber with a thick uneven foamy head. Huge complex aromas of chocolatey malt backed up with piney hops and some candied fruit. Big malt but also a large dose of hops gives this a full and creamy body tempered with a tongue smacking bitterness. It's another slow sipping beer, the alcohol is well masked but the astringent bitterness more pronounced and the finish is similar to some peaty whisky. It actually seems hoppier than the Hoptimum. I admit I like this one a lot, I'm going back for a few more tomorrow. It needs further study to identify all the flavours, that and it is quite nice.
Went to Leura Cellars today and picked up one of these. Unfortunately they'd sold out of the Hoptimum but I did get a bottle of Boogoop and a couple of Mountain Goat limited releases, in amongst some more IPAs and a couple of red ales. Spent too much money.

Arete

Likes Dirt
Went to Leura Cellars today and picked up one of these. Unfortunately they'd sold out of the Hoptimum but I did get a bottle of Boogoop and a couple of Mountain Goat limited releases, in amongst some more IPAs and a couple of red ales. Spent too much money.
SNBC's Torpedo IPA is their best American IPA offering IMHO, but there's much better out there.

Suggested locals from here in New England from me:

New England Brewing Company Ghandi Bot Imp. IPA, and their Sea Hag IPA
Southern Tier's 2xIPA and IPA
Coronado's Idiot IPA (this is especially tasty!)
Victory Brewing's Hop Devil.
Harpoon's Leviatan Imp. IPA

From the midwest my favourites were:

Stone's Ruination IPA, and
Bells Two Hearted.

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
SNBC's Torpedo IPA is their best American IPA offering IMHO, but there's much better out there.

Suggested locals from here in New England from me:

New England Brewing Company Ghandi Bot Imp. IPA, and their Sea Hag IPA
Southern Tier's 2xIPA and IPA
Coronado's Idiot IPA (this is especially tasty!)
Victory Brewing's Hop Devil.
Harpoon's Leviatan Imp. IPA

From the midwest my favourites were:

Stone's Ruination IPA, and
Bells Two Hearted.
I like Stone Arrogant Bastard more than the ruination. Haven't had either in a while but from memory the carbonation in the Arrogant bastard was more appropriate than the amount of gas in the ruination. Both are beers I miss though.

Arete

Likes Dirt
I like Stone Arrogant Bastard more than the ruination. Haven't had either in a while but from memory the carbonation in the Arrogant bastard was more appropriate than the amount of gas in the ruination. Both are beers I miss though.
The Arrogant bastard is a great beer - but a strong ale rather than an IPA :) http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/147/92

If you can get it the oaked arrogant bastard, double bastard and lukcy basartd (that's actually how its spelled) are great too.

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
The Arrogant bastard is a great beer - but a strong ale rather than an IPA :) http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/147/92

If you can get it the oaked arrogant bastard, double bastard and lukcy basartd (that's actually how its spelled) are great too.
True. Still the better beer!

I've had the double bastard and I wasn't a massive fan. The extra alcohol didn't seem to carry enough extra flavour-the aftertaste had that vodka fume flavour.

The oaked bastard is excellent, I would do some unsavoury things for a case of that in Australia. I haven't heard of the luckcy bastard but next time I'm in the USA I'll check it out.

Last edited:

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Little Creatures Brewing Company. Single Batch 'Day of the Long Shadow'. 8.9%abv Spiced Ale.
Clear coppery amber with a firm but pillowy head. Rich malt but predominantly spicy creaming soda/sarsaparilla with undertones of gingerbread and clove. Properly warming with cinnamon and high alcohol this is smooth and perfectly weighted, just delicious, I have missed ales like this since moving back from the UK. After a while the aromatics fade to beery hop and yeast goodness but a quick swirl brings the head back up and the aromas come on strong again. Didn't refrigerate this one at all, straight off the shelf at about 12 degrees is just right. Not the best spiced ale I've ever had but it is very good. Made with allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg and dark muscovado sugar with UK Sovereign and Challenger hops.

Last edited:

nonch

Likes Bikes
Probably get laughed off the forum for this, but I like Smith & Clyde (available at Aldi).

Maybe not the best beer I've tasted, but it's good, and it's under $30 a slab!!!

scblack

Leucocholic
Probably get laughed off the forum for this, but I like Smith & Clyde (available at Aldi).

Maybe not the best beer I've tasted, but it's good, and it's under $30 a slab!!!
Well, posting your latest cheap beer in a thread about the best beer we've ever had, yes that will get you laughed at. Not harshly though mate. We want good beer in here, not cheap slabs.

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Little Creatures Brewing Company. Single Batch 'Day of the Long Shadow'. 8.9%abv Spiced Ale.
Clear coppery amber with a firm but pillowy head. Rich malt but predominantly spicy creaming soda/sarsaparilla with undertones of gingerbread and clove. Properly warming with cinnamon and high alcohol this is smooth and perfectly weighted, just delicious, I have missed ales like this since moving back from the UK. After a while the aromatics fade to beery hop and yeast goodness but a quick swirl brings the head back up and the aromas come on strong again. Didn't refrigerate this one at all, straight off the shelf at about 12 degrees is just right. Not the best spiced ale I've ever had but it is very good. Made with allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg and dark muscovado sugar with UK Sovereign and Challenger hops.
As soon as i saw this i ran down to the bottleshop love little creatures single batches and this is no exception, brilliant winter drink.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Malt Shovel Brewery Mad Brewers 'Ginger Chops' 4.2%abv. Ginger Beer.
Pours lively clear orange amber with a soft uneven white head. Sweet spicy ginger and barleysugar aromas. Dry and cleansing, not at all like a regular sweet ginger beer but that is a little unfortunate because it lacks the bite and warmth of big ginger beer but does have a lingering lightly peppery finish. This would be great in summer and would session well, it just feels a little under done. The best I can describe it is a third of a glass of regular ginger beer topped up with soda water. Oh well, there are a large number of good ginger beers around right now to make up for this one.

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. 'Southern Hemisphere Harvest' 6.7%abv.
Clear burnt orange with a slight bloom, lazy bead and an uneven foamy head. Delicious fresh New Zealand hop aromas backed by some luscious American malt. Herbaceous tropical fruit and citrus, it has some fantastic complexity of aroma but the flavour is amazing. Not overly aggressive but it is big enough and takes a break from the standard new world hops. Fresh New Zealand hops are shipped to California about a week after harvest and packed into this ale, so much so I'm picking the cones out of my teeth. Very well presented, they get the concept of balance and manage to present some very well crafted beers. I picked up the 710ml bottle and quite glad I did, as I said it isn't a huge beer but is very tasty stuff.

Last edited:

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Was introduced to one of the 'monk beers' last night - Trappist Quadruple.

Would love to give you tasting notes but after 2.6 std drinks in a bottle, I passed out after work after only one bottle! Still very lovely, I'd recommend the Blond too

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Green Flash Brewing Co. West Coast IPA 7.3%abv. IPA (US). Lots of the new world in here, Simcoe, Centennial, Cascade and Columbus hops to give this a real complexity and depth of flavour and aroma. Pours quite lively burnt cloudy orange with a billowy honey cake head. Pretty standard fare these days, rich piney citrus that is a little more pungent than some, grapefruit and sweet pastry tucked in there too. Initial bitterness hits and fades a little to a dry herbaceous flavour, it is a little thin and could use more malt but it is quite tasty. It would get lost in a tasting amongst similar beers, there are so many like this one kicking around at the moment, mind you this is what I was dreaming of several years ago when all that was available were a few abbey beers and a glut of bland German lager. Craft beer has come a long way and the bar has been lifted somewhat, over this brew anyway. I read back on this thread to what NCR wrote about this one, maybe the recipe has changed a little but in general I agree but I thought Hopwired was vastly over rated. Again it reminds me of why there are so many different beers and the wide spectrum flavours for all the beer lovers out there. Hold it I'm digressing, anyone would think I have been drinking, best stop writing and get back to it.