What's up with Parents these days?

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
What the hell is wrong with parents these days?

Woman in the cafe with a two and a half year old and a bub on the breast. She orders the pasta special for the two and a half year old so I let her know she might like to share it as it's more substantial than daughter could manage.

She calls me over a few minutes later and asks "can you putit on two plates please? She won't let me have anything off her plate."

TELL the damn child how it's going to be FFS!

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
LOL have you ever tried telling a 2 year old how it's going to be?

Most of the time it's not worth the inevitable tantrum

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Woman in the cafe with a two and a half year old and a bub on the breast. She orders the pasta special for the two and a half year old so I let her know she might like to share it as it's more substantial than daughter could manage.

She calls me over a few minutes later and asks "can you putit on two plates please? She won't let me have anything off her plate."

You don't have children do you? sometimes you let the little things go and save your energy for the arguments that matter. Compromise.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
What's up with customer service these days?

Not having a go, but I agree with above about avoiding a meltdown, especially if she is trying to feed a #2 as well. Did she ask nicely?

Boom King

I've got three kids, all of whom had boundaries set from the beginning.

Children need boundaries, in fact they thrive on them, knowing what is and isn't allowed.

The child in question was running the show and doing so with experience I might add. Ate about a fork full if that as well.

moorey

call me Mia
You don't have children do you? sometimes you let the little things go and save your energy for the arguments that matter. Compromise.
He sure does....but Gordon Ramsay gets a little toey now and then. I own a daughter who is a little that way inclined. Nothing we did caused it, nothing we do changes it. Cuntstomer is always right, nigs.

Pastavore

Eats Squid

Have another double espresso BK to help settle your nerves :)

Seriously though, I do agree with you a lot of kids do not have enough boundaries. Parents, your children will not grow up with psychological damage from hearing the word "no" every now and then. I would put this incident in the junior leagues, though.

Boom King

Have another double espresso BK to help settle your nerves :)

Seriously though, I do agree with you a lot of kids do not have enough boundaries. Parents, your children will not grow up with psychological damage from hearing the word "no" every now and then. I would put this incident in the junior leagues, though.
True, this was just the one that prompted a thread.

I did what was asked without fuss but can't believe how many kids set the agenda these days.

I see it all the time in here and also with kids that my youngest (grade 1) is friends with. The best behaved and most well adjusted are those that no the meaning of the word NO!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I am often surprised how many parents think their kids likes sitting in a cafe. some do, but they are in a minority.

scblack

Leucocholic
I am often surprised how many parents think their kids likes sitting in a cafe. some do, but they are in a minority.
Maybe its the parent who likes sitting in the café. If so, the kid has to like it or lump it.

At times I will do what I want to do with my kids along. Also at times I have to be dragged along to stuff they want.

Goes both ways.

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've got three kids, all of whom had boundaries set from the beginning.

Children need boundaries, in fact they thrive on them, knowing what is and isn't allowed.

The child in question was running the show and doing so with experience I might add. Ate about a fork full if that as well.
I get what your saying, and defiantly agree with you to an extent. I was more referring to that it may not happen all the time, 2 yo's are not really fond of sitting in Cafe's haha

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Maybe its the parent who likes sitting in the café. If so, the kid has to like it or lump it.

At times I will do what I want to do with my kids along. Also at times I have to be dragged along to stuff they want.

Goes both ways.
I'm sure it does, but you persist with imposing g your child's desire to leave (expressed through a powerful tantrum) on everyone else? Or do you have enough manners to know when to quit it?

I don't mind if kids have to sit there and look bored senseless colouring in, staring at the wall, or even having their brain sucked out by device abuse...its when they run rank and mum/dad pretend it isn't happening that shits me. Get a take away and fuck off to the park already!

angrybadger

Likes Dirt
I know where you're coming from and generally you're probably right about lack of boundaries. But you're lacking empathy here.

I was in that situation a year ago, and have done almost exactly what you described. Our baby was up 6-10 times overnight, plus having a new member of the household made our previously sweet 2.5 year old go a little crazy. We were sleep deprived and struggling. I pick my battles, and always win those I pick. Sometimes I just needed to get a coffee and a couple of forkfulls of food in me without marching a screaming infant to the car and going home hungry, tired and miserable. This plate thing sounds like a battle I wouldn't have bothered with at that point in my life.

scblack

Leucocholic
I'm sure it does, but you persist with imposing g your child's desire to leave (expressed through a powerful tantrum) on everyone else? Or do you have enough manners to know when to quit it?

I don't mind if kids have to sit there and look bored senseless colouring in, staring at the wall, or even having their brain sucked out by device abuse...its when they run rank and mum/dad pretend it isn't happening that shits me. Get a take away and fuck off to the park already!
We also taught our kids that having tantrums is not on. Part of that is being prepared somehow so they are not bored out of their skull.

Tantrums in cafes or wherever is the height of rudeness. Sort your kid out parent!

Pastavore

Eats Squid
We also taught our kids that having tantrums is not on. Part of that is being prepared somehow so they are not bored out of their skull.

Tantrums in cafes or wherever is the height of rudeness. Sort your kid out parent!
Nah, can't agree with you on that one. Once a proper tantrum is underway, the only way to stop it is to give in or let it burn out. When you let them burn out often enough, the kid learns that it is not an effective means of manipulation. So sometime, somewhere, every parent trying to teach their kid how to behave needs to sit through a really awkward and embarrassing tantrum. It's kind of a right of passage.

I always try to give some support when I see a parent going through it.

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
I can see this thread getting big......real quick. I used to think like that, then we had a lil lady come into our lives, who is now pretty much 2. Boundaries in this instance would do SFA for our kid. All it would do is bring out the screaming banshee. Testing little fu@kers, they are. So yeah, I'd ask for a plate too.....

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Sometimes a sly pinch is all you need. That and a dark lockable cupboard at home. Negative reinforcement for the win.