What's up with Parents these days?

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I know where you're coming from and generally you're probably right about lack of boundaries. But you're lacking empathy here.

I was in that situation a year ago, and have done almost exactly what you described. Our baby was up 6-10 times overnight, plus having a new member of the household made our previously sweet 2.5 year old go a little crazy. We were sleep deprived and struggling. I pick my battles, and always win those I pick. Sometimes I just needed to get a coffee and a couple of forkfulls of food in me without marching a screaming infant to the car and going home hungry, tired and miserable. This plate thing sounds like a battle I wouldn't have bothered with at that point in my life.
She only came in because the 2 yo wanted pasta. The baby was asleep in a pouch on her chest.

I've got empathy, I've been through it all. This was just a mild case of the tail wagging the dog.

A freind of my youngest is nearly seven. She is incapable of going to sleep without stroking her mother's hair. This has been going on every night for over 4 years. She also wakes up every night and ambles on in to the parents bed. Hubby moves off to a separate room. None of this is the childs fault!

Just put up with some screaming for a day or three and your life will be much more joyful.

Boom King

I can see this thread getting big......real quick. I used to think like that, then we had a lil lady come into our lives, who is now pretty much 2. Boundaries in this instance would do SFA for our kid. All it would do is bring out the screaming banshee. Testing little fu@kers, they are. So yeah, I'd ask for a plate too.....
Damn straight, they test everything. Be strong, you can outlast them and the pain will be but a distant memory (Banshee's are so hot right now).

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From my recollections as a child I never recall getting a choice, there was only one option and I did what I was told!

Some kids I know get the option to do whatever they want, almost endless options! (I'm talking about a 2.5 year old as an example) Then the parents can't understand why they can't do anything they want to do. The kids own the parents, it should be the other way around, it was for me!

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
She only came in because the 2 yo wanted pasta. The baby was asleep in a pouch on her chest.

I've got empathy, I've been through it all. This was just a mild case of the tail wagging the dog.

A freind of my youngest is nearly seven. She is incapable of going to sleep without stroking her mother's hair. This has been going on every night for over 4 years. She also wakes up every night and ambles on in to the parents bed. Hubby moves off to a separate room. None of this is the childs fault!

Just put up with some screaming for a day or three and your life will be much more joyful.
I'm with you but unfortunately I remember with my daughter once you she started crying/ screaming you had 3 minutes before she'd puke. Right from tiny, tiny. I tested it a few times then got in quick. I hate puke. Shitty nappies, no problem but once she was off milk, chunky puke made me shudder...

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
Not always. I'm glad I tested that BEFORE I took my daughter on a flight. She's one of the lucky ones it hypes up...
Jesus, dodged a bullet there! We went to Hawaii last year, the flight over it worked a treat and she slept for 5hrs. On the way home though, fu@k me. It didn't work, or she fought it, and kicked, screamed, squealed ALL THE WAY HOME...... it's an 11hr flight! I felt sorry for her, just not at that point of time. Worst way to end a sweet holiday.

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
Damn straight, they test everything. Be strong, you can outlast them and the pain will be but a distant memory (Banshee's are so hot right now).
It's the CONSTANT tests that is killing me now! I'll take your word for it, and stick fat.

DMan

Jesus, dodged a bullet there! We went to Hawaii last year, the flight over it worked a treat and she slept for 5hrs. On the way home though, fu@k me. It didn't work, or she fought it, and kicked, screamed, squealed ALL THE WAY HOME...... it's an 11hr flight! I felt sorry for her, just not at that point of time. Worst way to end a sweet holiday.

Yep. I thought I'd try it when she was 2.5 before a flight to NZ. Like I'd fed her red jellybeans intravenously. Threw the bottle in the bin while forming a crucifix with my fingers over it....

Boom King

It's the CONSTANT tests that is killing me now! I'll take your word for it, and stick fat.
They are persistent but surprisingly pragmatic. They just have a knack of finding a new test once they abandon the previous one.

Trust me, I've a 19, 16 and 6 yo. The youngest is the worst of the three, wants to be the boss all the time. She never wins though, as we made all our fuck ups with number one.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Setting boundaries with kids is fine. Enforcing said boundaries with a kid at an age where the first thing that comes out of their mouths is generally NO!!!! (I've had two go through the terrible twos, although I think it's another one of those parenting con jobs as I'll call it more like the terrible two and a half(s) to four and a half(s)) in an enclosed space, with paying patrons in close proximity, plus a sleeping baby that's got you out of bed multiple times the night before would not be my priority, when an extra plate is all it takes for some resolution.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Your a legend boomking, they certainly threw away the mould when they made you. People don't realize, you let young kids rule the roost and all of a sudden you have a teenage kid out of control with no boundaries. No one is going to cotton ball your kid and let them do what they want in the real world not unless you are going to employ them and wipe their arse for the rest of your life.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I like it when I get comments on how polite and we'll behaved my son is, it's a small reward for alot of "parenting" to bring him up that way. I find alot of ratbag kids that I come across have lazy parents that can't be arsed and just give in. It's difficult to blame the kid.....although sometimes....
Like the phone call I just had telling me my 10yr old is in sick bay because some kid threw a rock at his head....to top it off the staff made excuses for this kid and how he is going through a rough time as his parents are splitting up. I asked "is it as rough as having your head split up?"
Not happy Jan.

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
I like it when I get comments on how polite and we'll behaved my son is, it's a small reward for alot of "parenting" to bring him up that way. I find alot of ratbag kids that I come across have lazy parents that can't be arsed and just give in. It's difficult to blame the kid.....although sometimes....
Like the phone call I just had telling me my 10yr old is in sick bay because some kid threw a rock at his head....to top it off the staff made excuses for this kid and how he is going through a rough time as his parents are splitting up. I asked "is it as rough as having your head split up?"
Not happy Jan.
Not sure if I'm about to open Pandoras box here, but........hearing things like that makes my blood boil, that some little piece of dog shit did that. The wife and I have agreed that we're going to teach our daughter to stick up for herself, and not be a victim. If she feels threatened or is being bullied, to unleash hell on these little pricks. Bullies have had their own way for too long IMO, fu@k them! Stand up for yourself, otherwise people will take, take, take. Only my opinion, flame on if you will.....

DMan

Not happy Jan.
As much as I feel your kid don't start making judgment calls on the other kid yet people. Separation would be a huge thing to deal with at 10. I'm not condoning the kid throwing rocks but get the full story first. Luckily my separation was amicable and the prime focus was to make it as easy as possible for our daughter. Doesn't always go that way though...

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
+1 for boundaries, and clear limit setting.

My 4 year old never had a public tantrum or told me how things were going to be. From the word go he has always been told what's appropriate and what isn't. He clearly craves this type of guidance and is happier for it. Some of my friends give their kids a LOT of free run, and they have poorly behaved and miserable kids as a result. Step up to the plate adults and be proper parents! You want to be your child's friend? Then show them how to behave.

DMan

Not sure if I'm about to open Pandoras box here, but........hearing things like that makes my blood boil, that some little piece of dog shit did that. The wife and I have agreed that we're going to teach our daughter to stick up for herself, and not be a victim. If she feels threatened or is being bullied, to unleash hell on these little pricks. Bullies have had their own way for too long IMO, fu@k them! Stand up for yourself, otherwise people will take, take, take. Only my opinion, flame on if you will.....
You are. Unless you've been separated you're talking about a world you HAVE NO CONCEPT OF. Especially when it involves children.

DMan

The problem with parents these days is that they won't shut the fuck up about being parents.

Especially where Facebook is concerned
Lol. Just one of the reasons I gave up FB 2 years ago and have never looked back...