Where to buy liquid ammonia in Sydney?

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The household ammonia variety will work for the task at hand, it just can take a while - maybe not as long as this discussion have been going for...

Maybe try it and report back?? ;)

bhooper

Barfarker
I saw some in Cambells Cash & Carry the other day. But you need a business card thingo to be able to buy stuff from there as it is a wholesale outlet, but you can only buy 1 item, you just need the card.
-Ben

dave3107

Likes Bikes

I doubt you will get your hands on Liquid Ammonia as there are only a couple of companies in Aus with a license to produce the suff as it is mainly used in fertelisers and is also used in Refrigeration. I don't think it is something that would be available to the public.[/QUOTE]

Crack open a fridge??!!:rolleyes:

GrubNut

Likes Dirt
Techno,

Any luck? I've got a badly stuck alloy post in an alloy frame and am considering the Ammonia route.

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
At the risk of sounding like the anti-Christ here... I don't really care if Sheldon Brown's site recommends ammonia, because most alloy seat post to steel frame bonding/sticking isn't as the result of oxidation so much as lack of lubrication, small amounts of dirt/grit in the interface and subsequent spooling up of the alloy post when it's "twisted" in and out of the frame.

Hint here... do NOT twist your seat post in and out!

We've removed a couple of hundred seat posts from frames (this is a remarkably common thing and shops all over the country send frames to us for this... learn to lubricate, people! :rolleyes:) and the ammonia has never once worked. It needs to be pressed out... STRAIGHT out (remember... no twisting) and in 90% of cases your seat post will be toast so factor in the cost of new one.

Cheers