Whisky!

stirk

Burner
This muat be the before photo or you are taking your time to open it. Sure it must be a nice drop

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
Yeah, very perceptive of you. That first photo was taken on father's day but the recent post on the whisky thread promoted me to show off the new bottle in my stash.

Look like this now, father's Day was a while ago yeah?......:behindsofa:

IMG_20170915_211943759-751x1335.jpg

stirk

Burner
That is my favourite of all the whiskys.

It is exceptional.
It is xceptional ;)

Zero burn, smooth and with my limited experience drinking whisky it is on my top shelf.
If it had a slight peaty smoke of an Islay it would be unbeatable.

In saying that, I still have alot to learn and try.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
The beautiful and slow descent into casual alcoholism.....

Thanks gents, I'll have to put this one on my future shopping list.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Following advice from this thread, I got me a bottle of Ardbeg 10 to wrap the tastebuds around....

Ho

Lee

Fuk!!!

Super smooth dram, lovely rich honey-edged smokiness, where the Talisker has a more rugged weather-beaten gutsiness. Will need to try the two head-to-head to try to determine a favourite, but this definitely shares a perch high on the list with both the Talisker 10 and Storm.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Following advice from this thread, I got me a bottle of Ardbeg 10 to wrap the tastebuds around....

Ho

Lee

Fuk!!!

Super smooth dram, lovely rich honey-edged smokiness, where the Talisker has a more rugged weather-beaten gutsiness. Will need to try the two head-to-head to try to determine a favourite, but this definitely shares a perch high on the list with both the Talisker 10 and Storm.
You're quite the peat soaked Island-loving whisky fan huh Duck? Good to see not everyone just wants the nice polite Speysides & Highlands.
The salty peat monsters are for the truly devoted!

Ardbeg is one of my all-time favs. It's unapologetically Islay. When you really want to drink "a forest fire in a shipyard"....(or maybe that was Laphroaig...?)
Years ago my sister & I went to the Ardbeg distillery (and others). What a road trip that was.

Have you tried Coal Ila ?? I think it's probably the best of all the island whiskys.
And if you're feeling wealthy Kilchoman Machir Bay is on another level for attention to detail & controlled peat.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Must be the yachtie in me that gravitates to that grunty maritime Islay & other island whisky. Speysides & Highlands are nice, but a bit dull. Have yet to try Laphroaig & Caol Ila, but they're on the list.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Ardbeg is one of my all-time favs. It's unapologetically Islay. When you really want to drink "a forest fire in a shipyard"....(or maybe that was Laphroaig...?)
Years ago my sister & I went to the Ardbeg distillery (and others). What a road trip that was.

Have you tried Coal Ila ?? I think it's probably the best of all the island whiskys.
Ardbeg 10 is one of the best and high on my list. The Duck describes it well.

I've invested in Caol Ila but haven't cracked it open yet. I have to travel next week so will be hanging around duty free again.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Speysides & Highlands are nice, but a bit dull. Have yet to try Laphroaig & Caol Ila, but they're on the list.
Speysides are a bit dull and taste like a more 'manufactured' whisky than the Islay offerings. Laphroaig have a great line up too. You can't really go wrong and each is just different - it is all down to personal preference. I think we need to have a whisky road test day some time :whistle:

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Speysides are a bit dull and taste like a more 'manufactured' whisky than the Islay offerings. Laphroaig have a great line up too. You can't really go wrong and each is just different - it is all down to personal preference. I think we need to have a whisky road test day some time :whistle:
...might be a short day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Can't recall consciously trying a Speyside, in context of hunting one out for the specific purpose of trying a Speyside, but I've probably had one somewhere along the way. Certainly not memorable either way.

Boss gave me a bottle of Dalwhinnie Highland for my birthday last year, and although a quite decent dram, it plainly lacked the big character of a solid Islander.

Last edited:

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Can't recall consciously trying a Speyside, in context of hunting one out for the specific purpose of trying a Speyside, but I've probably had one somewhere along the way. Certainly not memorable either way.

Boss gave me a bottle of Dalwhinnie Highland for my birthday last year, and although a quite decent dram, it plainly lacked the big character of a solid Islander.
Some speysides are sensational-BUT that region is also where so much of the mass produced shiite comes from too. You have to research a little more to find the boutique distilleries that offer interesting drams.

I drank islay whiskys almost exclusively for years...but a couple of years ago I started collecting a few un-peated hand-made whiskys thru The Whisky Club. Some were good, and a couple were amazing. There is a sweet, rich smooth style that can be just as enjoyable- but utterly different from the islay whiskys. (Jura is a good place to start down that style...)

Benromach are speyside, but their drams are all distinct/unique & always great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock

I have a Glenlivet 12 here which is pretty nice. I don't mind Speyside but always reminds more more of Johnny Walker. Islay sure is distinctive but I can understand why some people wouldn't like it.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I have a Glenlivet 12 here which is pretty nice. I don't mind Speyside but always reminds more more of Johnny Walker. Islay sure is distinctive but I can understand why some people wouldn't like it.
Yeah for sure.....the islay whiskys are definitely an acquired taste. I think if you don't like them first time....you prolly won't grow to like 'em....

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Yeah for sure.....the islay whiskys are definitely an acquired taste. I think if you don't like them first time....you prolly won't grow to like 'em....
The smoky, peaty taste sure is something unique. Does taste like they spilt the barrel on the floor and sponged it up into bottle for you. Once you get he hang of it then it is damn good.

Islay makes me feel like viking riding in a long boat down the fjords for a while which has to be a good thing.

stirk

Burner
When I crack my bottle of Laphroaig open it coincides with posts in the Blue Mountains Facebook groups, "is that a fire I can smell?" "Anyone know if there's a bushfire about?"

Will have to try the above mentioned, cheers for the info!

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
The smoky, peaty taste sure is something unique. Does taste like they spilt the barrel on the floor and sponged it up into bottle for you. Once you get he hang of it then it is damn good.

Islay makes me feel like viking riding in a long boat down the fjords for a while which has to be a good thing.
HaHa....yeah I know exactly what you mean. I reckon the new nickname for a glass of whisky might be "Viking Juice" !

When I crack my bottle of Laphroaig open it coincides with posts in the Blue Mountains Facebook groups, "is that a fire I can smell?" "Anyone know if there's a bushfire about?"

Will have to try the above mentioned, cheers for the info!
Yeah! Whenever I open Laphroaig my wife clocks it from the other room before I've even poured it. It's like cough syrup & bilge water right up your left nostril. Bewwwdifull.