Whisky!

stirk

Burner
Opened a new chapter in my whisky journey.

w.jpg

Very nice and quite dark with a depth more like a peaty whisky without the smoke.

Recommended​ by Stirk.

waldog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Opened a new chapter in my whisky journey.

View attachment 336858

Very nice and quite dark with a depth more like a peaty whisky without the smoke.

Recommended​ by Stirk.
I'm a fan.

Would agree with your description too. There's something about the Japanese gear that always has a very clean and open flavour palate.

.....and the bottle is cute.

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
Not cheap though is it?
I have tasted that before and it is lovely, their gin is top notch too.
Numerous giggles at last year's work Christmas party, venue had Big Black Cock as one of their whiskies, and workmates were waiting to see me head up to the bar and ask for a Big Black Cock.

Very good whisky too.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Not cheap though is it?
I have tasted that before and it is lovely, their gin is top notch too.
It is a quite exxy yes... Just ordered another $140 bottle from Nicks last night in fact, accidentally drank all the last one which was itself one I'd bought to replace the one SWMBO bought when we were up in Atherton.

She thinks I'm just a whisky thief, I reckon she is an enabler though...

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I just want it to be known that Laphroaig Quarter Cask is a fine drop that I'll never get sick of. I will have to visit my plot of land at Islay one day.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Got me a bottle of Talisker Port Ruighe port cask-matured. Not as overtly smoky as the regular 10yo and Storm, but it's still there. Sightly softer, supposedly fruitier flavour from the port casks, but I can't really pick that. It's good, but not as good - if you like the real bonfire-on-the-beach grunt - as the other brews; maybe if mega smokiness isn't your thing you'll appreciate this more. For me though it's not worth the $30 premium over the Storm, which remains my benchmark..

grayzeee

Likes Bikes
So, I realise I'm very late to this party but it holds a lot of interest for me.
I got a great introduction into whiskey with the Laphroag quarter cask and have since then , been on a discovery mission.
A few may balk at this , but I've been going through a fair few of the $50 bucks max bottles of blended whisky ( mainly so I dont feel bad when I rarely do mix them).
I have managed to get into a few single malts in this price range too.
The surprising thing to me was just how good some blends are, and I can't bring myself to mix/ruin them.
(some seem to go better with a couple of ice cubes and some with a little water)
Reading from earlier comments though, I have come to realise I must have bad taste.
I find nothing wrong with JW black or DB and wouldnt mix either. Same with the Chivas.
The ultimate blend so far has easily been Ballantines 12 blend. superb stuff.
The biggest letdown - Glenlivet 12 single malt. (maybe some bad batches)
Will need to try stepping up to a few more smokey Islay bottles, and also keep hearing a lot about Highland Park , so thats def on the list.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
So, I realise I'm very late to this party but it holds a lot of interest for me.
I got a great introduction into whiskey with the Laphroag quarter cask and have since then , been on a discovery mission.
A few may balk at this , but I've been going through a fair few of the $50 bucks max bottles of blended whisky ( mainly so I dont feel bad when I rarely do mix them).
I have managed to get into a few single malts in this price range too.
The surprising thing to me was just how good some blends are, and I can't bring myself to mix/ruin them.
(some seem to go better with a couple of ice cubes and some with a little water)
Reading from earlier comments though, I have come to realise I must have bad taste.
I find nothing wrong with JW black or DB and wouldnt mix either. Same with the Chivas.
The ultimate blend so far has easily been Ballantines 12 blend. superb stuff.
The biggest letdown - Glenlivet 12 single malt. (maybe some bad batches)
Will need to try stepping up to a few more smokey Islay bottles, and also keep hearing a lot about Highland Park , so thats def on the list.
The Ballantines and Chivas are a cut above the other mainstream blends. Once you go up their ranges they are also pretty special. The 21yo Chivas Royal Salute in particular is stellar.

Nikka from the barrel is a great japanese blend that is also affordable.

The star of the Glenlivet stable is the 18 its hard to believe that its related to the 12. The glenlivet 18 along with the Lagavulin 8 are my benchmarks.

But to be honest I'm enjoying collecting oddball whiskeys like King Car from Taiwan, Nikka Coffey Grain and Coffey Malt, and some of the vintage Glenrothes.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

mullan2304

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you enjoyed the laphroaig then the next step would be talisker 10 and lagavulin 16. Both can be sourced for under $80 at sale times if you can stretch your budget a little

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
If you enjoyed the laphroaig then the next step would be talisker 10 and lagavulin 16. Both can be sourced for under $80 at sale times if you can stretch your budget a little
Both the Talisker 10 and Lagavulin 16 are great. I have both. I'm not big on the Talisker Storm though, it tastes a bit too strong to me. Jura Superstition is another fine drop.

My short list of can't go wrongs are Talisker 10 and Lagavulin 16, Laphroaig 10 and Quarter Cask and Ardbeg 10. If you have the chance to pass through duty free then stock up big since the export bottles are all 1l and about $100-ish.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
7am whisky post, hardcore Mr Crudley

thanks for the tip re duty free, I am going next week
I had a big day lined up yesterday where I had to do things. My mind drifted to whisky on the couch and singletrack in the middle of nowhere at 7am to escape the upcoming doom. Both sure sounded good :)

stirk

Burner
Another Japanese addition to the liquor cabinet, The Yamazaki 12 year single malt. This is super smooth nice and neat. Best father's day present to date.

IMG_20170903_104240140_TOP-751x1335.jpg

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Another Japanese addition to the liquor cabinet, The Yamazaki 12 year single malt. This is super smooth nice and neat. Best father's day present to date.
This muat be the before photo or you are taking your time to open it. Sure it must be a nice drop

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk