Whistler 2012

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Yeah hopefully AC will be good with this. The last couple of times I've flown to Maui via Sydney they haven't checked my windsurfing gear right through and I've had to lug it on the bus which is annoying for everyone concerned. It's because it's connecting from domestic to international with different carriers.

Has anyone else had this problem with AC or do they sort it for you?

grimzentide

Likes Dirt
Hey guys, I moved to Canada last July and its bloody awesome. Make sure you check out the North Shore in Vancouver too. It is public transport accessible with your bike for $2.50 each way on weekends and $3.75 on weekdays.

If you want some accommodation a little more up market with great facilities, check out the HI Whistler. Around $35 a night, but they have discounts if you are a member (cheap as) and weekly rates which are cheaper again. It is the old Olympic village from the winter games.

If you want to check out the North Shore trails and other trails and bike parks in British Columbia, check out http://www.trailforks.com .

If you have any local questions, let me know.

Cheers

P.S. Add 12% tax to all advertised prices in B.C.

Genius Josh

Likes Dirt
When I was there there was a company doing shuttle runs of Seymour? The one on the right as you look
at them with CBC at the top. CBC trail is awesome. Think it was 5 or 10 bucks a lift or some sort of multipass. My favourite trails were on Fromme which is all fire road push/ride back up bus goes right to the trailhead though. Upper oilcan to lower oilcan :) definite standouts in my memory.

grimzentide

Likes Dirt
When I was there there was a company doing shuttle runs of Seymour? The one on the right as you look
at them with CBC at the top. CBC trail is awesome.
There is still snow on the peaks, so no shuttles yet.

My favourite trails were on Fromme which is all fire road push/ride back up bus goes right to the trailhead though. Upper oilcan to lower oilcan :) definite standouts in my memory.
Fromme is my favourite too. I can see all 3 mountains from my front door and it always makes you want to ride. Some black and double black diamond fun on the oilcan trails.

I like ladies only... Plus Bobsled is a great trail to bomb down for one last run.

Ladies Only Trail (not me)
[video=vimeo;11070222]http://vimeo.com/11070222[/video]

CoUtTa

Likes Dirt
Great Thread and some great tips.

I plan to make my first trip to whistler between the 13/8 and 7/9 approximately a month. Catch the last week of Crankworx and then it should get quiter?
Has anyone ordered parts and equipment to there accomodation eg. Off CRC and had spare tyres and pads etc there ready to go? As I heard tyres can be up to $100 each?

whiteman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm looking to make my first trip to Whistler for the entire month of July.
I've done a bit of research so far in regards to costs etc. It seems like a budget of ~$5000 (inc. flights, lift ticket, etc.) for an entire month is pretty much what everyone is telling me I will need.
Does this seem right to all you seasoned Whistler goers? I really don't want to under budget this trip and have to come home early!

grimzentide

Likes Dirt
You can do a lot with $5k, but it all depends on what sort of night life you're into. Whistler can be a big party town and alcohol can more expensive here compared to Australia for certain items.

Flight $2400
Transfers $50
Excess baggage $?
Accommodation $1000
Lift Ticket $550
----------------------
Total $4000

That leaves you with $1000 for a months food, drink and parts. If you cook your own food, you can easily live off $35 a day.

cluster

Likes Dirt
Hey i'm going end of May/start of June for 3 months - anyone know when the garbanzo zone is usually ready to ride? just hoping ill have enough trails to keep me entertained till that opens whenever it is...?
Great thread BTW lots of useful tips in here; thanks to everyone who's contributed

Last edited:

whiteman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You can do a lot with $5k, but it all depends on what sort of night life you're into. Whistler can be a big party town and alcohol can more expensive here compared to Australia for certain items.

Flight $2400
Transfers $50
Excess baggage $?
Accommodation $1000
Lift Ticket $550
----------------------
Total $4000

That leaves you with $1000 for a months food, drink and parts. If you cook your own food, you can easily live off $35 a day.
Awesome, thanks!
That's basically what I've budgeted for, except I completely forgot about going out. I'll head out a bit, but I am there to ride after all. So hopefully that's not going to break the bank.

Getting pretty keen for this trip now!

grimzentide

Likes Dirt
Reminder

Add 12% tax to all advertised prices in B.C.
Tipping.. you should do it.. especially because Aussies have a bad reputation for being shit tippers.

Poor Service - 10%
Good Service - 15%
Great Service - 20%

So a $3 beer is actually $3.86 with tax and a good tip.

Genius Josh

Likes Dirt
I worked as a cab driver and definitely bore the brunt of and saw first hand our shit tipping reputation second only to NZ.

We could see the north shore mountains from our verandah too but we were deep I'm the crack denniest part of east van... Definite eye opener for my wife who had lived at home and led a sheltered life up until then. At 600 per month for a 1 bedroom with locks on the doors and a view like that it ticked the boxes though.

I spent 3 months getting there via Africa and a little more of Europe so I was flat broke when I got there, just had enough for a 2nd hand Banshee Chaparral :). When I go back I will factor in a new or even another late model 2nd hand into the price only need to worry about getting your bike home then and you get a new bike. Went intoCove at Deep Cove and drooled all over there floor along with On Top (banshee dealer) owned by Dangerous Dan.

Last edited:

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Damn, I think I may have left it too late with airfares. I've been juggling a few things including dates I can get off work and have prolonged committing to booking flights for perhaps that little bit too long. Last week I was looking at flights that went via LA for about $2,200 (1st July - 15th July ish) and tonight I have looked and all those flights seem to be gone with the cheapest option being via Manilla for $2,580. Is the window of opportunity closing out on me or is webjet just being retarded today?

Also, is there any reason to book with travel agents these days? What can they offer that we can't get using something like webjet? I always used to think that the great advantage of using them was that they could book a flight and hold it with a deposit for a week or two, but now it seems that everything needs to paid in full within 24 hours which makes them seem kinda redundant... And what do they use to find their flights anyway, is is just webjet or do they have some fancy internal access that shows more options?

WynterPlace

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I booked through Flightcentre, I like that that look after it all for me, they found the best flights, if things change they let me know and unless the flights are a special deal that finishes on a given date, I have never had to pay up front or soon after booking... just a deposit and then the balance later on.

I went through a girl caller Kristy Osbourne at Flightcentre Prahran. She's been awesome, we booked our honeymoon through her too.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
unless the flights are a special deal that finishes on a given date, I have never had to pay up front or soon after booking... just a deposit and then the balance later on.
That's good to know, I think I may have been speaking to the wrong people as they always want full payment within 24 hours which makes it hard. I think I need to speak to Kristy.

Awesome thread guys, this has got me through the evil Monday morning at work and now im planning a trip for next year - BRING IT ON!!!!

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Thanks to a great find by the Flight Centre I finally booked and paid for my ticket so it's really happening! And Korean airlines allows 2 x 23kg, so no problems getting my bike over there.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Has anyone stayed at the Alpenglow Condos in Whister North Village? Looking on a map it seems close enough to the bike park. It's definitely the cheapest I've found in terms of a self-contained studio with kitchen facilities, I'm wondering if there's a catch? I've read some bad reviews, but it's just pedantic stuff from people who expect everything to be brand new... For $50 per night I'm not too fussy...

And what's the deal with the staff housing? Do you really have to be working there or will they give anyone a room? I've sent them an email, but it would be good to hear from others what the deal is.