Whistler 2012

Nautonier

Eats Squid
After way too long off the bike due to injury I've decided to not only buy a new DH rig, but to head out to Whistler and make up for lost time over winter. I've done some preliminary research and found some great info on here, thanks especially to Whitey for his excellent post. Unfortunately the only time I can go is between the 1st of June through to the 20th July, so from what I've read I hope that if I go for 2 weeks in July the snow will have cleared and all the runs will be open. So I have a few questions for people who have been there last season:

1. Airfares - is $2600 (ish) reasonable for July flying with Air Canada with only 1 stop in Sydney?

2. Accommodation - given that I will be travelling alone, what is the cheapest accommodation I would be able to find without having to sleep in a dorm (too old for that)? Apartments sound awesome, but only if you have a crew.

3. Are seasons passes still around $500? If so this would definitely be the cheapest way to ride for 14 days or so.

4. Are there enough trails in the bike park to keep a rider happy for 2 solid weeks or does one need to venture further afield?

5. Is a total budget of $5000 realistic for a 2 week trip?

6. Do I need bear spray :) I was in Banff a few years ago for work and took a bike and all the locals were totally freaking out about bears. I felt like a total knob riding down trails yelling out "hey bears" (as the locals do)...

Any tips greatly appreciated.

jrewing

Eats Squid
Yes to all of it except bears...5000 will be plenty. you will tire of bikepark after the 1st week and a bit and want rough natural stuff. i stayed at a self contained studio in the heart of the village, did my own cooking saved heaps. bears are rad get the early bird pass to save cash.
You will get post-whistler depression when you get back and ride the first trail.

WynterPlace

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rob, i'll be there from August 23 - September 10th. just after Crankworks finishes.

My missus may be coming too, but is well aware that this is a riding trip, not a romantic getaway. but if she pikes i'll be looking for someone to share accommodation with.

I'm flying Qantas both ways for $2400 (booked months ago).

I've found apartments for ~$1500 for the time i'm there they're 1 bedroom but most have a sofabed, or two dudes can spoon ;)

Season tickets are/will be around $500 and if you ride for most days it's better value.

2 weeks and you'll barely scratch the surface from what i'm told. But I have a mate over there who is keen to take me down to Squamish for a day or two, so if you're there at the same time, there may be a spot available.

The $5k budget is reasonable especially if you're sharing an apartment with someone, but add to that a little more for food/booze etc,

DO IT!!!!!!

dunndog

Eats Squid
Rob, i'll be there from August 23 - September 10th. just after Crankworks finishes.

I've found apartments for ~$1500 for the time i'm there they're 1 bedroom but most have a sofabed, or two dudes can spoon ;

DO IT!!!!!!
You could also top and tail, I think there's a number for that??:very_drunk:

Genius Josh

Likes Dirt
Hi Rob,

In summer there is usually plenty of vacancy in the whistler blackcomb staff accommodation which you can rent by the week or night pretty basic though. My wife and I stayed there for a few months which was way cheaper than anything else you are likely to find.

The bike park will keep you occupied and the novelty of chair lift accessed mtb never wore off for me, but check out trails on the other side of the valley and they are everywhere really. I rode Gargamel before seeing any of the collective movies and there are quality trails everywhere not figuratively, literally.

The bike shops will have maps available. I worked as a cab driver for resort cabs (yellow minivans) in the winter and some of the other drivers spoke of running shuttles in the summer.

You will have an awesome time!!!

Josh

s.dogg

Likes Dirt
Early bird pass was $485 plus tax last year, and usually go up a little each year. So id be guessing $500 plus tax.
For accom check for studios at alluradirect.com they sometimes have some cheap places come up. Try stay as close to the village as you can afford. As others have said, make sure you can cook in it!
Staff housing can be a bit of a getto but cheap, If you are on your own you will only be there to sleep anyway.

The later you come in the season would be better, If this snow ever melts the new Peak trail and the rest of Black/Blue Velvet might be finished by then.

If you are like some people and only ride DM to lower aline for 2 weeks you might get bored. There are so many different trails and different ways to ride those trails that you shouldn't get bored with two weeks. I got over 500 laps last year and still wanted more.
Always more fun to ride with a crew so when you get on the chair just chat with everyone you can, most people are happy to ride with others. PM me if you want someone to ride with.

It would be worth going to squamish, pemberton or the northshore if you can. Not because you bored with the park, just to ride some really good stuff!

No need for bear spray, we dont have the grizzlys here. Just awesome black bears that are usually more scared of you. Just keep your distance. You will see them almost everyday.

Dont go to hard in the first few days, lots get injured that way.
Get good insurance.
Dont go to Longhorns for beer.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Thanks heaps for the tips and encouragement - I'm so amped!

So I assume the early bird pass is a seasons pass you can buy online before you get there? When does it have to be purchased by? Is it much more to buy it over there?

I'm not adverse to ghetto accommodation, but i draw the line at spooning (unless it's with girls)... Can you cook your own food at the staff quarters?

Garth - unfortunately I'll be long gone by the time you get there, I have a work contract that starts on the 23rd of July (damn it).

Last edited:

WynterPlace

Likes Bikes and Dirt
BAH! That sucks dude, it would have been awesome to spend a few days bombing whistler with you... We may have to settle for some runs at Warby/Narby soon.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Yeah Rob, gave that giving up DH idea the arse!! Apollo Bay Saturday? Going down with a group, good place to get a feel for the new rig..
Yeah, stupid injuries are no reason to give up the best sport in the world. I would be up for Apollo Bay over Easter, but unfortunately the new rig (which I'm getting from Mansfield) won't be available until the Monday. Hoping that Mike will be doing some more days after Easter as you're right, it's a perfect place to get used to a new bike.

So you got your replacement bike then? I hope the paint job is as sexy as the last one!

Genius Josh

Likes Dirt
Hi Rob,

Can vouch for the staff housing ghettoness, yes you can cook there. Some units will have more cooking equipment than others a build up of what gets brought and left behind, but if you are wanting to fry meat and boil potatoes/ pasta you should be fine.

jgdj18

Likes Dirt
I would recommend Bearbackbiking for accomodation etc. Its a little more expensive, but by the time you factor all the things in that it includes, I thought it was a great deal. Very nice guys and a great way to find people to ride with.

It was also great to concentrate on riding and have everything else sorted.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Hi Rob,

Can vouch for the staff housing ghettoness, yes you can cook there. Some units will have more cooking equipment than others a build up of what gets brought and left behind, but if you are wanting to fry meat and boil potatoes/ pasta you should be fine.
Thanks, that's good to know. Simple and cheap is what I'm after, hopefully I'll spending most of my time on the bike - not in my cell!

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I would recommend Bearbackbiking for accomodation etc. Its a little more expensive, but by the time you factor all the things in that it includes, I thought it was a great deal. Very nice guys and a great way to find people to ride with.

It was also great to concentrate on riding and have everything else sorted.
Cheers, I'll look into this as well.

beardi

Likes Dirt
If you are like some people and only ride DM to lower aline for 2 weeks you might get bored.

Dont go to Longhorns for beer.
I reckon I could ride DM to Aline for 2 weeks and not get bored! Lots's there for only 2 weeks - i'd be staggered if you got bored.

2nd that one scotty....lots of good bars besides the evil empires at the bottom of Whistler.

WynterPlace

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For those seasoned vetrans on here... Is an apartment near the corner of Blackcomb way and Lorimer Rd too far from the lifts to ride/push to and from the lifts each day?

The added bonus of the place i've found is that it's right next to the medical centre, which i'm certain i'll be visiting at least once.

beardi

Likes Dirt
It's right in the thick of it....prob about 400-500m uphill to the lifts....downhill all the way home though! Great spot