Who's running Coil over Air?

moorey

call me Mia
look at the date.....Thats over 3 years ago bro..Ive tried my share of airs here n thair but mehh, doesn't do it for me. Good deet work though. I don't even remember having that type of guide on my knolly, must of been a testing period.
Always is always. It’s ok, I still love you, Ian.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
I run coil rear on my dualies (ccdb coil and ohlins ttx22m) and a coil fork (cc helm) on my HT. Super impressed with the rear. So much support when bombing down descend yet still very poppy over jumps. The latter is only applicable to ccdb, the ohlins not so much, but most likely it's because of the overall frame designed more for super enduro/dh.
I like the cc helm. It's very plush, but I wouldn't say it's much much better than the air forks (rs lyrik) that I had on it before. However, I only had it for few weeks, ridden it at most 3 times. So need to spend more time tuning it better for final conclusion.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Running a fox rear and pike with acs on the front. On the bigger bike.
And fox rp23 and air pike on the smaller bike.
Geo close enough on both bikes.
The coil helps when the day is getting a bit long and I’m starting to fatigue. It’s a shame the pike chassis keeps creaking though. I’ll just get an mrp next time I think. :cool:

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
I like the cc helm. It's very plush, but I wouldn't say it's much much better than the air forks (rs lyrik) that I had on it before. However, I only had it for few weeks, ridden it at most 3 times. So need to spend more time tuning it better for final conclusion.
A mates got a 170mm CC helm custom made direct from CC, amazingly nice fork and at a very competitive local price. When they release a 170mm for regular peeps I shall be buying one.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I posted in this thread a while ago and wasn’t convinced of the merits of a coil shock on my old Specialized Enduro due to the regressive linkage. Had to run max compression damping to dial out bottom out, and really took the fun out of the bike.

Have now had the benefit of running it on a bike more suited to a coil shock (Evil Insurgent with a dual progressive linkage), and there’s a marked difference. Emailed Evil and they provided me with some base setting to work from which weren’t far off, just required a little more HSC and LSR.

It’s so sensitive off the top, that it leaves the Lyrik on the front feeling a little wooden. Much easier to dial out bottom out all but the biggest hits.

I suspect it’s the progressive linkage which means it still has ‘pop’ and dials up the fun factor which was missing on the coil spring Enduro.

I wasn’t sold before but I’m aboard the hype train now. Next step is an ACS3 conversion for the front so the fork can keep up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I wasn’t sold before but I’m aboard the hype train now. Next step is an ACS3 conversion for the front so the fork can keep up!

I've just ordered the new Vorsprung Smashpot. Went on sale yesterday.
Some nice benefits over the Push ACS3.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd like to try one on my '18 Range but running max tokens in the air now to get it to ramp up so it doesn't bottom with the right sag, so I'm suspicious that a coil will bottom and not be suitable. I'd like to give it a go but it's a pricey experiment.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've just ordered the new Vorsprung Smashpot. Went on sale yesterday.
Some nice benefits over the Push ACS3.

Oh damn. Would love to hear a review once you’ve given it a run.

Did you order direct from Vorsprung?
Can’t seem to find any guide with respect to spring rate for a given rider weight on their website.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Oh damn. Would love to hear a review once you’ve given it a run.

Did you order direct from Vorsprung?
Can’t seem to find any guide with respect to spring rate for a given rider weight on their website.

I ordered direct. Not a cheap upgrade, about $520 with expidited shipping.

Spring rate chart here.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Smashpot installed and ready for the maiden rip today!
Lovely bit of engineering.
Feels unbelievably plush off the top during a quick around the block test run.

Very keen for updates on this!