Why is armour soooooo expensive?

Simo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Was just looks at/trying on body armour and just upper halves in the bike shop.
Why do they have price tags of around $400 or more?

MrPlow

TMBC
Got my Dainese mesh suit for $160.00 :D Elbow, Soulder, Back brace, Kidney belt, the works! I got it at a motor bike shop, never ever used, but 2nd hand though. Bit bummed as the quality is OK, but not great, a few loose threads etc around the arms since I have had it 6 mnths. Body armour is well worth it though, I have stacked it a few times and just got up suprised I didn't hurt :wink: You can still break bones though :cry: check out the classifieds if I were you.

frank-oi

Likes Dirt
dose skin cost more or less. it's up to you weather it's espensive. and what your pain tolerance is.

but chicks dig scars.

sxereturn

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dainese body armous is the best, in my opinion.

You put that stuff on, and you can't tell you've got it on. It's light, it's comfortable, it breathes, and it doesn't hurt when you crash.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Mr. Plow, you would have to be the first person I've heard of who isn't happy with Dainese quality, shame it wasn't new, you might have been able to warranty it (if it's a major problem). They're good, but they are expensive.

MrPlow

TMBC
Yeh, it is nothing major. And it is super cumfy too. On hot days mates think I must be boilin hot in it, but it wicks like mad. In winter I have to wear long sleeve shirt under because ya freeze yer freakin arms off! Just think it could be just a smidge better though. Still does the job great, but you have to be carefull taking them on and off. HINT: never try to take your armor off or on with gloves or watches on. :wink: gotta be chuffed for $160.00 though, a mate said they are worth over $500 new??? WTF!!

josh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I run dianese knee/shins and fox elbow/arm garuds.

Its definetely worth it even if it only saves u from one major off!

Simo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ive got shinnies/knees and elbow/forearms but why are armour suits so pricey?
I'm looking into them because i, starting to ride at mount macedon and there's TONNES of trees

Ghost

Likes Dirt
You're pretty much paying for the research behind them, not so much the materials and labour.

Dainese are the best for upper body armour.

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
there a pretty good thread in the freeride section on this.
dainese is very good, costs a bomb, and is worth every cent.
but for $100 less you can get something like sinisalo armour. looks exactly the same, is also very good quality, and with the left over cash you can get a set of the new fox or axo hinged knee guards.
also don't forget that the dainese style armour was designed to go under leathers, so it isn't designed to be strong as such. always wear a jersey over it or it will rip.

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
Simo, are you looking in MTB shops or MX shops?

If you're looking in MTB shops only, you might be surprised at the price difference when you look for the same gear in an MX shop. At least, that's what I've found around the Sydney area...

Simo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
the problem with MX spine armour is its designed to stop roost from hurting when hitting your back, not to absorb direct impacts.

MrPlow

TMBC
Suits me great, still has great ventilation as well as good protection. Would it be designed for faster, harder impacts though? And is it really meant for roost protection. I thought they had mud guards for that?
Definaently goto your mx shop, or check the trading post I reckon. :wink:

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i think a lot of people just say MX shop to mean anywhere that sells motos.
roost guards are better than than nothing, but nowhere near as protective as something like a dainese shuttle suit.
any shop that sells road gear for moto's should have a range of armour for sale.
and as mentioned in the freeride thread, something like a camelback makes a pretty good spine guard.

jamo

Likes Dirt
simo dainese armour is so fuckin good. i would not even hesitate for a second to not buy it. i have one of the old black full suits that i picked up at vicmtb for about 200 bucks after the first kickass garage sale. ive had it since and i swear to F@#@ing god its the best investment i have made in my entire LIFE!!

you would be a fool to buy any other tacky armour.

dont buy fox its shit (im sorry but it is).

when it comes to safety, you should never settle for second best man.

dont hurt your ass, buy some class!