Why is armour soooooo expensive?

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
josh said:
your almost begging to be whacked when u put on a shuttle pro
Whacked by who? A tree/rock/inanimate object because your ride so much harder? Because you're now constricted by all the armour? Or whacked by somebody who's mugging you for the suit?

Oh... and on the Medicare subsidization thing. I'm with Medibank Private, and part of my coverage is reimbursement for buying sports gear. So I can buy, say.... running shoes, and get the money back for the purchase... as long as it's considered to be a healthy addition to my lifestyle. So armour MIGHT be subsidized! (If you go for a private health plan... which... seriously.... we should all be considering in this sport!)

But then again... I wanted to have a bike part reimbursed, and they said it wasn't covered... so it might not work. Call them before you try it. :?

Weasel

Likes Dirt
Price has got nothing to do with what its made from guys...
Its the fact that your paying for a name and a reputation... Also the simple fact that you dont replace armour like tyres so they gotta make a bigger profit.

In the end its all the same. Its all about the bottom line!

MrPlow

TMBC
Techno Destructo said:
Whacked by who? A tree/rock/inanimate object because your ride so much harder?
I don't use armour cause I ride fast. It is more of a volvo driver mentality for me :lol: :lol:

I would rather spend the money on armour than loose heaps of money being off work!

You aren't always paying for the name (with anything) these companies had to have good quility gear to get that name in the first place. and you loose your good name farking quickly if you don't measure up. (Just ask Fox :lol: )

S.

ex offender
Techno Destructo said:
josh said:
your almost begging to be whacked when u put on a shuttle pro
Whacked by who?
Your mates... cos you're all padded up and stuff. You know like when you get a brand new helmet and everybody smacks you on the head "just to make sure it works".

wombat

Lives in a hole
Techno Destructo said:
josh said:
But then again... I wanted to have a bike part reimbursed, and they said it wasn't covered... so it might not work. Call them before you try it. :?
Definately worth a shot. I know most of them cover helmets, so armour isn't too far fetched.

Dan

Likes Dirt
i dont think u would find dainese at a MX shop. its not designed for MX use, so why would they sell it.

as gregg said, ur paying for the research too! the materials would cost a bit coz it isnt shitty quality, but yeh research would come into it aswell

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
Dan said:
i dont think u would find dainese at a MX shop. its not designed for MX use, so why would they sell it.
It's in the ones in Sydney. There's two big MX shops, almost side by side near Hyde Park. Both have Dainese (as well as other brands) of armour.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Dan said:

as gregg said, ur paying for the research too! the materials would cost a bit coz it isnt shitty quality, but yeh research would come into it aswell
Dainese have been making safety gear for motorcycles (road) for a lot longer than they have been making gear for mtbs. It's not at all unusual to see it in a shop.

Dan

Likes Dirt
hmm ok then, maybe i just dont know much. i was only going on wot i have seen in MX shops. after all adelaide doesnt have that much lol

Mason

Likes Dirt
The reason Dianese is SO damn expensive is because its on of the top of the line armor manufactors. They got started with the superbike armor, progressed from that then made MTB armor. Its expensive, but isn't it worth it to save your body from damage?

Mick_is

Likes Dirt
Im looking for some second hand or first hand body armour but i dont want to spend to much, please reply with a few sugestions.... :roll:

Mick_is

Likes Dirt
Im looking for some second hand or first hand body armour but i dont want to spend to much, please reply with a few sugestions.... :roll:

Dirt Devil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've got a Dainese Gladiator suit in perfect condition. It's like the one in the pic's but it's all black. Only used it for a bit of trail bike riding and I've never crashed while wearing it.

*** $250 ***

juzza

Likes Dirt
Armour these days is soo expensive because you are really getting what you pay for. You dont get shit when you pay $450+ for some armour. You are getting some of the best stuff ever made. Dont comprimise just because of the price, safety should be regarded as one of the main aspects of MTB. If you want a cheap top half suit, try 661. I recently got one and its awesome, better or just as good as Dainese, for a fraction of the price

bazza

look at me
ewww? yes thats kinda true but nothing that a bucket load of washing detergent cant fix!!!!! washing armour is funny. the washing machine starts making nice clunking sounds.but hey makes em non-smelly. grrr gloves are THE worst for stinking up and its a pain in the ass washing them beause washing is done on the weekends and riding is done on the weekneds. ohhhh the pain.