Why is armour soooooo expensive?

CHEWY

Eats Squid
jamo said:
dont buy fox its shit (im sorry but it is).
agreed, ur buying the name not quality... back in the day though they were a great brand before they started making all that fashion shit

fastrider gus

super huck
if you want MX armour, i have a brand new '03 fox one.. to of the line.. my dad bought it for me to wear in races, but i dont like the feel of it..
in most moto shops they have the black dainese upper body armour (like metzger wears) and its a bit cheaper than the MTB one..

BlueFuzz

Likes Bikes
Would you say your first purchase for armour are the knee/shins and elbow/arm guards? Rather than looking at back?

S.

ex offender
BlueFuzz said:
Would you say your first purchase for armour are the knee/shins and elbow/arm guards? Rather than looking at back?
The only armour I have at the moment is knee/shin. Considering that 95% of all injuries, minor and major, happen to your hands and legs, I think they're probably the most important.

Simo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
deoends where/what type of riding you do i guees. If you ride in an area full of trees that are all around switchbacks and rockgardens and stuff then you would definantly look at back protection

Ev

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The reason it's all so expensive is coz it's labelled MTB.
The MTB market is extremely small in comparison to a lot of other sports (eg. MX) and because of this the prices are much higher.
If the market was bigger, then the prices would drop coz the companies wouldn't need to charge as much to make the same profit margin.
Take a look at some MX gear next time your in a MX shop. The roost deflectors are only about $150, they offer pretty much all the protection you need in my opinion, (if you already have elbow/arm guards).
But that's just my 2cents.

cools

Squid
I've seen stuff in MTB shops and it has been up to $60 cheaper in MX shops. You realy have to shop around and look hard for a good deal

MrPlow

TMBC
Here is a pic of my armour. As I said earlier it only cost me $160.00 and was never worn. If you live in Toowoomba I picked it up at a MX near the PCYC. My advice is to keep your eyes open and you may find something. What I want to know though is what this model is called. Is it a shuttle suit? Is that a roost guard or (what I thought) a back brace.

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i think none of the above.
as far as i can tell it's the gladiator upper body armour.
shuttle suits include the hip padding, and cost even more.

S.

ex offender
lupine128 said:
i think none of the above.
as far as i can tell it's the gladiator upper body armour.
shuttle suits include the hip padding, and cost even more.
Nah it's not the gladiator, it's an older model Safety Jacket I think. Aren't Shuttle Suits the full-body ones?

SpectRe

Likes Dirt
Nope - I have a Gladiator suit, and that isnt one. It is most likely, as previously mentioned, an older model Safety Jacket. The ShuttlePro suit is the full body suit (essentially just the 'safety jacket' and 'viking' lower together).

Safety Jacket:

Gladiator:

Shuttle Pro:

Shuttle:

Viking: