"Will this be the best mountain bike park in the world?"

sullivanvizual

Likes Dirt
5h1f7y have you seen Woodhill mtb park in NZ? http://www.bikepark.co.nz/
I have ridden at Woodhill and it's awesome to say the least, nice and cheap at $7NZD for a day pass I think it was worth every penny.
Is this the sort of thing you guys were thinking of doing? but maybe going the next step and offering shuttles or some form of lifts?

I noticed heaps of you guys are bashing the idea of a park just for mtbers saying its to costly to build and we dont have the population to make it viable, so if a small population like NZ can have a dedicated mtb park why cant we have similar parks?

In the last issue of Australian mountain biker there is an interview with one of the guys from IMBA-AU and even he mentions if anyone has an idea for a mtb park they should approach them as they can assist you with what is required and the right people in gov to contact.
Cheer's mate for your help!

grimzentide

Likes Dirt
Everyone on this forum and pretty much every mountain biker in the country would love to see you to succeed, me included, but this kind of thing takes years before you even dig your first hole.

Have you spoken to the council, completed a environmental impact assessment, proven that there is a need in that area and is the land zoned for commercial use?

You need to be calling out for help with specific tasks to get approval to build before you ask for people to grab some tools.

I have spent thousand's and thousand's of dollar's on action sport's equipment camera's,editing soft where etc.. etc..

Everything I get into cost's big money and this is no different....
You are comparing apples and oranges here. I bought a house and a few cars over the years, so im going to build a space shuttle. Its an exaggerated example, but that is how I am reading what you type. Spending a lot of money in one field doesn't make you an expert in another. Experience and training makes you an expert. There is no overlap between these things.

In the coming month's I will also be attending a new MTB park to film Nathan Rennie,Chris Kovarik and Claire Buchar.

So I will see first hand what it talks to build any kind of park,the cost's ,the labor,and the support needed!
No you wont. You will see the finished product of many many man hours and a large amount of money. The only way you can truely know what labour, costs and the support that is required will be to experience it first hand as a project manager. It is quite clear to me that you have never managed a project of this size and I truely hope you seek professional help on this point. You have passion, but you need more than ideas and a lot of expensive video equipment. If this random person with all this experience is fully on board with this project, it will be the first postive step that you have taken.

I agree 100% with DWNHLR01
I think honestly if you're going to go on a venture like this...consider maybe helping an existing mtb club?
Formal backing of a club will allow you to atleast allow you to request a recreation licence to start digging holes and it will give you a lot more backing and support that you require for the task of building a world class facility.

The bottom line is that this can be a successful project, but you need the help of experienced and qualified people to fill in the large number of holes you currently have.

Last edited:

dunndog

Eats Squid
Great idea. Good luck. If you get it done i'll buy a life membership.
Probably only have a couple years left by then anyway..

sullivanvizual

Likes Dirt
Everyone on this forum and pretty much every mountain biker in the country would love to see you to succeed, me included, but this kind of thing takes years before you even dig your first hole.

Have you spoken to the council, completed a environmental impact assessment, proven that there is a need in that area and is the land zoned for commercial use?

You need to be calling out for help with specific tasks to get approval to build before you ask for people to grab some tools.

You are comparing apples and oranges here. I bought a house and a few cars over the years, so im going to build a space shuttle. Its an exaggerated example, but that is how I am reading what you type. Spending a lot of money in one field doesn't make you an expert in another. Experience and training makes you an expert. There is no overlap between these things.

No you wont. You will see the finished product of many many man hours and a large amount of money. The only way you can truely know what labour, costs and the support that is required will be to experience it first hand as a project manager. It is quite clear to me that you have never managed a project of this size and I truely hope you seek professional help on this point. You have passion, but you need more than ideas and a lot of expensive video equipment. If this random person with all this experience is fully on board with this project, it will be the first postive step that you have taken.

I agree 100% with DWNHLR01

Formal backing of a club will allow you to atleast allow you to request a recreation licence to start digging holes and it will give you a lot more backing and support that you require for the task of building a world class facility.

The bottom line is that this can be a successful project, but you need the help of experienced and qualified people to fill in the large number of holes you currently have.
thanks for the vote of confidence mate !

Did I say I was an expert????

I said I would go these parks and ask question's,learn and observe!

Of course he will on board why would they offer??

First positive step don't think so that would be getting up everyday and living .

He is a bmx/mtb park builder with over 70 + parks built !

Random person don't so ! Don't want to name him because I have not contacted him yet.

The land we purpose to use will have all thing's done you suggested environmental studies etc..And would be on private land !

So are you an expert on all of this ???

This is exactly why the person that contacted me hate's forums !

I'm wasting my time replying to all of this when I could be researching,designing planning and that's what I'm doing from now on ,inbetween working fulltime filming/editing events and promoting myself.

Good luck to you .

kona_kona

Likes Dirt
Maybe if you guys had more than an idea you wouldn't be getting flamed so hard.

On top of that, Sullivanvizual sounds about 14 years old and thinks that his expensive video camera somehow qualifies him in every aspect of building a MTB park.

Abd perhaps you would have been taken slightly more seriously if you didn't type like a hyperactive prepube and had some hint of grammar applied to your posts. Some of it is barely comprehensible.

That said - many laughs are being had so keep posting bollocks please.

Last edited:

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Random person don't so ! Don't want to name him because I have not contacted him yet. so you really dont have this person on board yet then do you? For all you know they are giving you a high five for trying
The land we purpose to use will have all thing's done you suggested environmental studies etc..And would be on private land ! so is green valleys, do you think that has made it any easier for them? it's still an uphill battle
So are you an expert on all of this ??? C'mon buddy! this is the internet, we're all experts!
This is exactly why the person that contacted me hate's forums ! good for him, but you posted it here so he can deal with it
I'm wasting my time replying to all of this malarkey that I started when I could be researching (surfing the net),designing (drawing pictures of people riding bikes) planning (dreaming) and that's what I'm doing from now on ,inbetween working fulltime filming/editing events and promoting myself.
No, seriously though. People want to see this sort of thing go ahead, and maximum respect to you for having the balls to step up to the plate. But it is a shitload of behind the scenes work- not the interesting kind either, and will need your full attention. Forget about all your fancy videos and periferal what-not and focus on what actually needs to be done one step at a time. You have the land, now work out how you can use it, that is, all the legalities of zoning and "red tape". Then figure out where your funding is coming from, maybe then you can start to build trails. I think I've just given you a homework assignment for the next few years....

Brasco_Designs

Likes Dirt
Jumping in at the end?

Maybe I'm jumping in at the end when most of the obvious has been stated but I have another couple of things to add...

First of all congratulations on having the idea and what seems to be the passion and drive to see it through. It seems most people here have been supportive, but in a realistic way, they want you to succeed but also don't want to see you getting in way over your head with something that quite simply may be too large a project to do on your own. It's not saying you can't do it or won't do it but take what people have said here and use it constructively. Things like contacting an existing club, look at using existing infrastructure to lessen costs and probably the single best bit of advice is to look at getting an experienced project manager. Someone who is well acquainted with juggling the legalities and complexities of managing a construction project from the ground up because at this stage that is exactly what it is. You may be able to do it on your own but a project manager will make the process a lot quicker and easier.

A couple of ideas for you to possibly ponder:

1. If you don't want to look at existing infrastructure and will go ahead with the private land, look at first building trails that are quick (relative) to finish, that you could use to get some cash coming in to help with the ongoing cost of construction. The quicker you can have punters paying for access the quicker other things will happen. I would look at maybe a BMX track, dirt jumps, 4x, foam pit/airbag etc. Not to down play how much work or money goes into building these but I would imagine they could be built a lot quicker than km's of MTB track. If it was close to a train station imagine how many young people would possibly come to make use of these legal facilities?

2. Really look at existing parks, even non MTB ones as its a similar concept, they might just be a gold mine of information even if its "not what to do" stuff. For example the Penrith White Water Stadium. Similar idea to a MTB park, huge running costs in regards to pumps but could give useable information on things like marketing to beginners, enticing families, promote repeat business. Of course look at MTX parks other MTB parks and if they are not in direct competition with you they may even be forthcoming with costs and other info.

3. Look at the idea of having world class training facilities - people love going somewhere warm to train when its snowing at home and having everything available for a training camp could be the enticement they need to come and stay for a while. Again using the Penrith White Water Stadium as an example as its what I know about, they used to get national slalom teams coming here in the summer to train. Not sure of the numbers are still coming but that would have been a huge injection of cash as they would hire the stadium for exclusive use for training. Maybe look into what facilities Australian Cyclists use?

Finally make sure you know what is involved at every step of the way - I started to design a kayak a couple of years ago. I had the bright idea, the plans and the passion for it. I jumped in at the deep end thinking I knew what I needed to do and at every stage more things popped up, hidden costs, skills I didn't have and in the end I gave up because I wasn't prepared enough and it got too big. I'm telling this little story as I don't want the same thing to happen to you because this project is a lot bigger and way more costly than my kayaking making escapade.

Good Luck

Don

Roly

Likes Bikes and Dirt
your grammar and punctuation is sortof..... ridiculously embarrassing for someone who claims to be....... you know.............. an adult.

read over each post before you hit submit so you're less surprised when people think you're a goon.

floody

Wheel size expert
Level with us here, are you talking about building some trails on a bush block to film things on, or are you talking about a world class bike park?
I think you have a fine grasp of the first one, and absolutely no idea about the second.

Quit the 'motivated to prove you wrong' bullshit and actually be REALISTIC.

Last edited:

scblack

Leucocholic
Serious Question

I have a very serious question for you guys:
Will this park contain a ramp sufficient for SmittyDH to have a go at the World Record MTB jump?

Thread link: http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/sho...anted-a-simple-record&highlight=simple+record

If you have a ramp to be able to do this you will be well on the way to having the "Worlds Best" MTB park. Seriously.

My actual point is that both of these threads seem to have had exactly the same amount of research behind them - and they both are claiming "Worlds Bestests".

(By the way, so there is no confusion - the level of research is ZERO, except for having seen some videos).

sullivanvizual

Likes Dirt
Maybe I'm jumping in at the end when most of the obvious has been stated but I have another couple of things to add...

First of all congratulations on having the idea and what seems to be the passion and drive to see it through. It seems most people here have been supportive, but in a realistic way, they want you to succeed but also don't want to see you getting in way over your head with something that quite simply may be too large a project to do on your own. It's not saying you can't do it or won't do it but take what people have said here and use it constructively. Things like contacting an existing club, look at using existing infrastructure to lessen costs and probably the single best bit of advice is to look at getting an experienced project manager. Someone who is well acquainted with juggling the legalities and complexities of managing a construction project from the ground up because at this stage that is exactly what it is. You may be able to do it on your own but a project manager will make the process a lot quicker and easier.

A couple of ideas for you to possibly ponder:

1. If you don't want to look at existing infrastructure and will go ahead with the private land, look at first building trails that are quick (relative) to finish, that you could use to get some cash coming in to help with the ongoing cost of construction. The quicker you can have punters paying for access the quicker other things will happen. I would look at maybe a BMX track, dirt jumps, 4x, foam pit/airbag etc. Not to down play how much work or money goes into building these but I would imagine they could be built a lot quicker than km's of MTB track. If it was close to a train station imagine how many young people would possibly come to make use of these legal facilities?

2. Really look at existing parks, even non MTB ones as its a similar concept, they might just be a gold mine of information even if its "not what to do" stuff. For example the Penrith White Water Stadium. Similar idea to a MTB park, huge running costs in regards to pumps but could give useable information on things like marketing to beginners, enticing families, promote repeat business. Of course look at MTX parks other MTB parks and if they are not in direct competition with you they may even be forthcoming with costs and other info.

3. Look at the idea of having world class training facilities - people love going somewhere warm to train when its snowing at home and having everything available for a training camp could be the enticement they need to come and stay for a while. Again using the Penrith White Water Stadium as an example as its what I know about, they used to get national slalom teams coming here in the summer to train. Not sure of the numbers are still coming but that would have been a huge injection of cash as they would hire the stadium for exclusive use for training. Maybe look into what facilities Australian Cyclists use?

Finally make sure you know what is involved at every step of the way - I started to design a kayak a couple of years ago. I had the bright idea, the plans and the passion for it. I jumped in at the deep end thinking I knew what I needed to do and at every stage more things popped up, hidden costs, skills I didn't have and in the end I gave up because I wasn't prepared enough and it got too big. I'm telling this little story as I don't want the same thing to happen to you because this project is a lot bigger and way more costly than my kayaking making escapade.

Good Luck

Don

Thanks Don your the kind of people we are looking for people and for the person calling me 14 year's old ,I couldn't care less really about you ?

If a 14 year old came up with this idea wouldn't they be a smart kid !

This is a forum not a uni assignment !

Paddock with jump's on it ??? go for it guy's go do it !

If you read my first post you would see I have put alot of effort into making this a viable business idea for many people!

The comment about me spending ten's of thousand's of dollars' on action sports equipment and camera's/editing software was a statement about how passionate I am about action sport's and film production and nothing more !

As for seeing first hand how resort's get the PUNTER'S in I have worked at the following resort's Thredbo,Treble Cone,Cardrona and travelled to Japan.

And I have been to and filmed San Remo ,Black Hill,Coff's Harbour,Eagle Park,Ourimbah,Mt Stromo,Glen Rock,Awaba,Kincumber,Argenton,Tenanbit.

And of course built trail's and DH tracks like all keen mountainbiker's.

Our course this does not make me an expert on park building !

But I know what rider's want and need through talking to so many and of course riding myself.

If this park goes ahead we will have the most professional people we can find for the various position's.

When it all come's down to it, if this park is built it would be for the next generation of kid's coming through.

A awesome place to train ,get coached,film,compete or just have a great time riding which is what I live for .

I'm sure I will be getting some derogatory comment's about this post aswell.

But Im not replying to anyone who's not all for helping this project move forward and give me great information.

sullivanvizual

Likes Dirt
I have a very serious question for you guys:
Will this park contain a ramp sufficient for SmittyDH to have a go at the World Record MTB jump?

Thread link: http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/sho...anted-a-simple-record&highlight=simple+record

If you have a ramp to be able to do this you will be well on the way to having the "Worlds Best" MTB park. Seriously.

My actual point is that both of these threads seem to have had exactly the same amount of research behind them - and they both are claiming "Worlds Bestests".

(By the way, so there is no confusion - the level of research is ZERO, except for having seen some videos).
Hey mate you sound keen but are you really a great rider?

I watched the Nathan Rennie jump and he was hitting that kicker at about 90-100 k's an hour.
And yes I am pretty sure a guy from england broke nathan's record not long after his jump at around 150 feet .
Are you up for this king of speed?

I would be more than keen to help you out with you record attempt through filming it for CuT DoWn Tv .

Send me a private message and I will give you a call.

all the best Christian

grimzentide

Likes Dirt
hahahahahahhaha. SmittyDH is going to be so happy!

@scblack: I think your way of avoiding confusion actually created some confusion.

5h1f7y

Likes Dirt
Floody you asked me to be level with you.

Here it is........

A very good freind of mine and I have always been dreamers as you call me and wanted to build a Motorcross park. My freinds and his family have 30 years combined experience in the tourism industry running two different resorts and a small rural museum?....it was similar to old sydney town only much much smaller.

His family had some issues and the businesses were sold...ra ra ra

So i have now been invited to be a partner in a business that would have only been possible in my dreams previously.

Currently in negotiations for a resort with established rooms and plenty of suitable property. Have discussed the idea with local council and found out a general idea of what we would be required to do to make it happen.

Sullivan found out about all of that on Sunday and his brain has been ticking since i spose.

It is a serious project, but of course not garunteed!
I have read your posts alot around here and when the time comes i will make sure i have you and others as involved as you on side and up to date.

Cheers

Pete

dilzy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is there not a chance you blokes could not just invest your cash into Buller and try to get new trail approvals there? Would make a hell of a lot of sense, chair lift, plenty of mountain and all the facilities.

Dobbo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This thread made me laugh out loud.
Hey Reubs, good to see your still alive somewhere in the world. Are you still over in North Vancover.

It does! This new site could even have a spot where the long jump wannabe could do his 150 foot jump!

Please, don't anyone suggest Wollongong as a good spot to build a mountain bike park..............
I always like to read the DOZER post, especially the legendary cut down before he closes the thread.

Question from a curious bystander....why not Wollongong as you refer to here..... do you mean the terrain is no good, or too many gong bitches and wannabes??

Last edited:

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah Wollongong sucks, those guys are assholes. ----------Although using the tunnel at O'briens drift as a means of uplifting riders from the bottom of the valley to the top of the drift would be cool. There's still a conveyor belt in there, just roll it in reverse and away we go! Would have to of course build an extension to the drift track thus doubling its lenght. Its a dream but hey, I'm totally comitted to the cause and I've got a killer video camera. We can make VHS copies to promote the idea. Getting off the conveyor might be a bit like "rag doll blaster" on your iphone but thats what body armour is for!

Yeah Dobbo, still in the 604. Will be home for 3 weeks in November for some sun, some chiko's and some prepube gong bit...um, i mean, riding.

5h1f7y

Likes Dirt
It would seem you guys are putting me down just for a bit of fun and a laugh.
This would most certainly confirm you are from Wollongong!
Main reason a park wouldn't get built in Wollongong is simply because it's the biggest hole on the east coast!
Not only is it industrially overrun but the people there are rude and filthy mannered!

At least these so called pre pubescents you talk of will have the chance to become real men instead of pathetic weiners!

Your All the same.....big mouths, little hearts!

Dobbo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can't really see anywhere in my only post that I "put you down". only a hi to a riding friend and a question to the Dozer.
Given your venomous rant towards Reubs post I now do doubt you have the fortitude or literacy skills to put up with the numerous hurdles your going to face in trying to get any sort of public facility approved. I think your hide would have to be thicker that a few taunts on a forum.

I'd normally say good luck, even offer some designs & drawings that we have already, but I guess not with your attitude.

Last edited: