Wombat 100 - 13 April 2014 - Official Event Info Page

maxadventure

Likes Bikes

The legendary Wombat 100 returns to Woodend on the 13th April 2014 for another trail shredding edition of mountain bike nirvana. Regarded as a 'true mountain bikers marathon' the 2014 event will feature a brand new 75km course option! With the mainstay 50km and 100km courses and the ever popular 18km junior course, there is something for every riding ability.

Participants can expect a world class marathon course that includes over 50% flowing, groomed single track (including the famous Wombat track), fast fire trail, pine forest single track and 4WD trails. No tarmac, guaranteed!

As always the organisers would like to encourage riders to bring their family with plenty on offer for families. Multiple kids races at the event centre, jumping castle, face painting and onsite accommodation/camping – all set in the beautiful surrounds of Cammeray Waters, a first class rural conference centre. If you prefer to make it a day trip only, the venue is only 60km from central Melbourne and 40 minutes from the airport.

Real Insurance XCM Series

The much anticipated return of the Real Insurance XCM Series will also take place in 2014 with the Wombat 100 sitting at the pointy end of the five race series. The Wombat 100 will be the last chance to gain valuable points prior to the finale at the Cairns World Cup two weeks later.

Complimentary Insurance for non-CA and MTBA members
As an event overseen by Cycling Australia, all non-Cycling Australia and MTBA members to the Wombat 100 will receive complimentary day rider insurance as part of their entry. That's right, enter away knowing you're fully covered on the day by cycling's peak body should you meet the dirt in a show-stopping kind of way.

Cycling Australia and MTBA Members
If you are a racing member of an MTBA affiliated club or hold a racing license with Cycling Australia, you will be covered whilst racing at the Wombat 100. Please note you will have to present your license at registration when picking up your race pack.

Entries for the Wombat 100 are now open at: http://www.wombat100.com.au/entry.html

Details
Date: 13 April 2014
Entry Fees:
18km Jnr = $30
50km = $95
75km = $110
100km = $130

johndh

Likes Dirt
How do you define a "world class Marathon track", last time I did this race wouldn't describe it as this, but that's only me!!

kbekus

Likes Dirt
Seriously tempted by the 75km track this time, it seems to have the whole first half of the 100 + the best parts of the 50...

Marx

Likes Dirt
How do you define a "world class Marathon track", last time I did this race wouldn't describe it as this, but that's only me!!
I suppose it is located in the world, & it is a certain class of marathon event. So, as long as they don’t specify what type of class in the world of marathon events they’re referring to, their claim seems valid.

I’m doing the 50kms, just in case it’s rubbish, so it’s only half rubbish.

quiggs

Likes Dirt
I suppose it is located in the world, & it is a certain class of marathon event. So, as long as they don’t specify what type of class in the world of marathon events they’re referring to, their claim seems valid.

Love it.....

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
Ahh - the glass half-empty. What if its good - you only get half the goodness?

For what its worth, and I am only one opinion amongst many, it is a very good race and course. Some truly incredible trails and a great event center and vibe....

maxadventure

Likes Bikes
whats included in the 'race pack'?
Pair of 6 inch cuff socks from The Sockguy, chain lube from Juice Lubes, GU gel and chomps
Four Pines Kolsch, on tap and cold when you cross the finish line .. (a warm Foster's Lager if you don't finish ;-)

.. and don't forget your personal accident cover is included with the event forming part of the XCM Series, that is a $20-$30 saving that you would fork out at other private promoter events.

Last edited:

johndh

Likes Dirt
When I hear "world class" I think of Whistler or mt buller (something more local) sorry nothing I have ridden in woodend come near these world class tracks.

quiggs

Likes Dirt
Sorry John,
I don't see the sense it what you are trying to achieve by slandering or questioning another events choice of worlds in trying maximise their event.

It's comments like these that justs goes to show why there is a dysfunctional harmony existing in our sport and for example why there is 2 separate marathon series' taking place this year. When members of our mountain biking community can't support one another, whether it be a private promoter or a local club, come together work in a unified direction to improve the sport by moving it forward. Then maybe crap like this or the bullshit that has been throw around on the 2014 XCM Series thread, won't exist. Then maybe kids like Bendigo's own Jack Haig could be supported better through mtbing aspirations and not "Lost to the road"..

Quiggs

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorry John,
I don't see the sense it what you are trying to achieve by slandering or questioning another events choice of worlds in trying maximise their event.

It's comments like these that justs goes to show why there is a dysfunctional harmony existing in our sport and for example why there is 2 separate marathon series' taking place this year. When members of our mountain biking community can't support one another, whether it be a private promoter or a local club, come together work in a unified direction to improve the sport by moving it forward. Then maybe crap like this or the bullshit that has been throw around on the 2014 XCM Series thread, won't exist. Then maybe kids like Bendigo's own Jack Haig could be supported better through mtbing aspirations and not "Lost to the road"..

Quiggs
Quoted for awesomeness!

Big Tim

Likes Dirt
Buller is completely different. Not even close to wombat. One of my best days riding was the first half of wombat last year. Great flowing single track. Narrow bridges. Challenging in some areas. Lots of people off and walking in sections. I did buller downhills this year and had a blast. But it can't be compared to wombat. Haven't risen in other places around the world but places like whistler have been developing summer sports for many many more years than we have. I don't know if they are better but I suspect that given time our trails will be just as good but never the same. I love wombat it's a great ride and close to Melbourne. Think about it. It's world class for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJG

Likes Dirt
It's also worth mentioning that the Wombat MTB tracks have developed from rider-made tracks over a number of years, without any significant ongoing $ input from authorities, land managers etc. The signage that appeared in recent years and one new timber bridge are the only noteworthy exceptions to this.

All of the upkeep of these tracks is done - voluntarily, unpaid - by a small number of local riders. No doubt a similar situation occurs in the majority of MTB areas in VIC and likely the rest of AUS.

Last edited: