Wombat 100 - 13 April 2014 - Official Event Info Page

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Was "road the singletrack" a deliberate oxymoron?

The singletrack in the pines was porridge by the time I rode through (sweeping after all the 100s and 75s, say 300 riders) - but the singletrack in the native forest was in very good condition and significantly drier than many would have expected. I'd be curious to know how filthy the 50 km riders were when they got back, since they didn't ride any of the pines.
I couldn't believe how clean the riders were who did the 50k.

Loved the track and yep, the last stuff was great with a few big slippy bits to keep you on your toes (or face, depending your line choice).
I particularly liked some of the really tight stuff, perfect for my 26"wheels.....

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Was "road the singletrack" a deliberate oxymoron?

The singletrack in the pines was porridge by the time I rode through (sweeping after all the 100s and 75s, say 300 riders) - but the singletrack in the native forest was in very good condition and significantly drier than many would have expected. I'd be curious to know how filthy the 50 km riders were when they got back, since they didn't ride any of the pines.
My bike was pretty dirty at the end of the race. Mainly from a sections of rough fireroad/double track. There were a few sections of deep water I rode through. Took advantage of the bike cleaning service (just a hose and water but a good idea) and washed the bike down. After it dried it looked just as dirty. My legs were thinly caked with mud. My brakes are actually in OK condition - didn't need replacing (not even the pads!). I did need a new chain though - but I was due for one so I don't think the weekend race was a major factor - it just tipped it over the edge.

Maximum Adventure have some pictures of the race on their facebook page for viewing. They are stamped with "Aurora Images" - I assume they will have photos to purchase of the race pretty soon.

gnarly_rider

Likes Dirt

sossy

Saucier
That mud was smelly. Washed the bike Sunday evening & now my backyard is smelly. My gear is smelly too but that always is. Anyone’s whites still white?

What would people feel about a 100km event that lapped a (shorter) course, instead of point to point over unique trail all the time?
You mean like the Yowie? 3 laps of a 33km course.

Marx

Likes Dirt
You mean like the Yowie? 3 laps of a 33km course.
For fear of hijacking the thread, I was thinking something like 2x 50kms laps – 100kms, or 25kms loops x4 ? That way the organisers could manage the trails easier, with fewer separate checkpoints, & perhaps fit a greater percentage of singletrack in & dodge forestry roads.
Just thinking out loud, about how to make what there is, better.

I look almost clean in the photos, but their price makes me feel dirty.

MJG

Likes Dirt
that was a really cool race, and I am really glad that the race organisers ran it.

I had such a blast out on the trails - it is a rare treat to ride such good trails, which held up surprisingly well even with the rain

My version of events here, if you have 5 minutes

http://pin-it-you-muppet.blogspot.com.au/2014/04/wombat-100km-woodend-victoria.html
The bit that you called the maze is called the Tardis by the locals - small on the outside (land area) but big on the inside (track length).

maxadventure

Likes Bikes
Yeah I was pretty surprised that at 7hrs 20 everything was packed up. I was soooo hungry too. Ticked that one off. Won't be back next year. Lacking the atmosphere and organization if other similarly priced 100km events.
As for the vandals....WTF?!?! Who does that?! I also had 4wd Reving their engines at me. Was quite scary.
I call BS brother, both finish arches and all infrastructure was left in place until the sweeper along with a 50km rider who took 8hrs (over an hour past your time) rolled across the finish line to a huge cheer from all event staff.

riderideride

Likes Dirt
I call BS brother, both finish arches and all infrastructure was left in place until the sweeper along with a 50km rider who took 8hrs (over an hour past your time) rolled across the finish line to a huge cheer from all event staff.
I was refering to food. Yes arches were definately still up.