Wombat 100 - 13 April 2014 - Official Event Info Page

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Raced the Wombat in 2012 in the wet and mud - loved it.
Didn't race in 2013 as I was sick (was gutted)
Doing it again for 2014 and looking forward to it!

Ridden there a few times socially - awesome place to ride - kudos to the volunteers to who cut/maintain the tracks out there - doing a GREAT job! :)

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
+1 yep it's a pretty great place to ride, 1 hour from Melbourne, raw single track, great town up the road with beautiful beer or vanilla slices so caters for hairy and shaved types. the flow through the creek gullies are a sweet spot of mtbing and there's only a few places I've experienced this, as a xc course ... beautiful

katokid

Squid
So I did the Wombat 50km last year, which was my first ever MTB (and cycling) event and planned on doing other events during 2013 but injury put a stop to that. I'm doing the 100km this year and intend on backing up with the OO 100km two weeks later and have a question on training, probably a bit late to ask but here goes!

The last few weeks Ive been doing my normal daily ride which is an hour of hard hills in the Dandenongs plus a 50km loop at Lysterfield twice a week. An hour for my daily doesn't sound like much but its a solid 50 minutes uphill and 10 minutes to come back down (I live in The Basin). Lysterfield 50km is using all the single trail (and the Comm Games course twice) and I can get around this in 3:10 without being smashed at the end.

So thoughts on whether I will be underdone as far as prep or should be OK?

Thanks.

Big Tim

Likes Dirt
Haven't done the 100 before but I would say underdone. You ride at my pace and your doing same rides as me this year. Why don't you try the wombat 75 and if that's he'll rethink the otways 100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
So I did the Wombat 50km last year, which was my first ever MTB (and cycling) event and planned on doing other events during 2013 but injury put a stop to that. I'm doing the 100km this year and intend on backing up with the OO 100km two weeks later and have a question on training, probably a bit late to ask but here goes!

The last few weeks Ive been doing my normal daily ride which is an hour of hard hills in the Dandenongs plus a 50km loop at Lysterfield twice a week. An hour for my daily doesn't sound like much but its a solid 50 minutes uphill and 10 minutes to come back down (I live in The Basin). Lysterfield 50km is using all the single trail (and the Comm Games course twice) and I can get around this in 3:10 without being smashed at the end.

Thanks.
Sounds fine to me. 100kms is just about grinding your way through the discomfort.

If you get significant cramps, you might have to give up. But if you don't suffer, then you get things like thigh soreness which slows you down, lower back pain and neck pain.

What does help, is doing a hard long ride 4 days before ( can be 3), cut out all caffeine this week. On the ride take a GU every 30 minutes of the ride and drink more than usual. The GU s would be best if they are without caffeine untill around hour 3, then start throwing down the double espressos - 2 or 3 in the hour will do, then no more caffeine Gu s . I just use Allen's snakes for the first 2 hours then get onto the gu with caffeine .

There will be stations, take a few minutes and fill your drink bottle with their electrolyte drink

No more than 80g of carbs per hour

cleeshoy

Eats Squid

Thanks.
you're not going to win, but you'll certainly finish. Eat before you get hungry and drink before you get thirsty.

riderideride

Likes Dirt

Thanks.
That's more than I'm doing and I'm doing both those 100's plus the Dirty Gran Fondo 90km two weeks after Otway. Most of its mental anyway. You'll be fine if you believe you will be.

katokid

Squid
Thanks for the responses, good (and reassuring) advice from all.

you're not going to win, but you'll certainly finish.
I'm certainly not going out there to win, for me its all about the challenge. I don't get cramps so fully expect its the mental and physical slog that I will have to conquer....and I do believe I will be fine.

@pharmaboy: Whats the wisdom of doing a hard long ride 4 days before...thought I should be tapering by then?

Looking forward to it.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Thanks for the responses, good (and reassuring) advice from all.

I'm certainly not going out there to win, for me its all about the challenge. I don't get cramps so fully expect its the mental and physical slog that I will have to conquer....and I do believe I will be fine.

@pharmaboy: Whats the wisdom of doing a hard long ride 4 days before...thought I should be tapering by then?

Looking forward to it.

Tapering assumes you've actually done the training in the amounts required. ;)

By and large the long ride a few days before is a mental thing- 1/3 longer than you've ridden before is doable, but doubling is often a big stretch for people to get their head round. Once you decide you can do it and what pace you can do it, then you will do it

I find the point at which I don't want to ride anymore is about 2 hours - I will start seeking direct routes to destination at 90minutes, so the way to clear your mind for a longer ride is an out and back. I can't do 100km off road by myself, but I can follow a group for an epic or enter a race and get it done easily.

I think a longish ride just prepares you for applying that grit and determination to complete no matter what - no good data on that one for sure.

riderideride

Likes Dirt

By and large the long ride a few days before is a mental thing- 1/3 longer than you've ridden before is doable, but doubling is often a big stretch for people to get their head round. Once you decide you can do it and what pace you can do it, then you will do it

I find the point at which I don't want to ride anymore is about 2 hours - I will start seeking direct routes to destination at 90minutes, so the way to clear your mind for a longer ride is an out and back. I can't do 100km off road by myself, but I can follow a group for an epic or enter a race and get it done easily.

I think a longish ride just prepares you for applying that grit and determination to complete no matter what - no good data on that one for sure.
Erm....I'd be saving your legs for the race....no point smashing yourself 3 days (!!!!)before the race. My last long ride will be this weekend at GMBC's Crazy 6hr.

lloydo

Likes Dirt
pharmacy, you say eat alleys snakes for the first two hours, and then start taking gels?
would the same apply for someone doing the 50 km race. i expect it to take 3 hrs or less

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
pharmacy, you say eat alleys snakes for the first two hours, and then start taking gels?
would the same apply for someone doing the 50 km race. i expect it to take 3 hrs or less
Depends on how long you take to do 50km. The only reason I do snakes etc is I only carry gu's that have caffeine in them and caffeine makes a bigger hit when you are tiring, so take gus with caffeine at about the 2 hr and up mark. If you are going to do the 50 in 3 hrs, then food isn't critical - you still need to take on 3 or 4 gels but you can get through a 59 without really having to manage it.

Eating lollies (snakes) later in a race is really hard because you don't have enough spit to swallow.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Whats the wisdom of doing a hard long ride 4 days before...thought I should be tapering by then?
Each to their own, but I would certainly not be doing a long hard ride 4 days before. Just a couple of cruisey road and mtb rides for a couple of hours at most.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid

Knowing you can mentally do it is half the battle.

katokid

Squid

I totally agree that longer rides prepare you and are the base for both the physical and mental resources required to see you through to the end of an enduro....but I cant see the sense in doing that just prior to the event. Like you, I'm anticipating (hoping) that the buzz from just being part of the event and riding with others will carry me through that unknown last couple of hours.....and make me want to do it again!

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
re nutrition for endurance event:

for a 100k event, I'd be using bars 1 per hour (cadel, powerbar whatever) - have them pre unwrapped in a plastic bag.

don't use gels until later half of event, reason, caffeine = diuretic, a pee break is time lost. In fact no caffeine for first half of event - the bars, nutrition in water bottle/bag and energy stores should keep you going for first half. I've found gels etc lose their effectiveness after a while so you want them when you really need them after 50k or so. I eat bars early on to avoid a bad gut.

do a proper warm up so you don't get anaerobic early on.

Marx

Likes Dirt
I’ve given up on jelly babies/snakes & gone to dates (without the pip in them).

I’m just riding the 50kms, but will be riding to the event start from the very south end of Fingerpost Rd where I’m staying the night before.
Racing in the Tourist category. :thumb:

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I will most likely do most of the 100k on gels, might take 1 bar in case I get hungry for solid food.

Find out what works before the race and stick to it.

Do we get a chance to pick up drinks/ food part way thru or is it carry what you need plus water/ fruit from stops?

I have been spoilt by Euro marathons and their mega feed stations....