VIC Wombat 100 / Woodend / 22nd April 2012

MelbRiDer

Likes Bikes
I get pretty much the same stats as you Mal Rob, running a Polar HR cycle computer and wheel sensor.
This was my first race in 25 years (I started racing at the ftf series at the range in the yarra valley in mid 80s) Managed a 2.58

I got 52km on my Garmin 310xt so I agree the distances were a bit out. No sensor on my purely off satellites.

Awesome fun though - racing has changed a lot in 25 years. I grew up on solid frames and fisher fatrax 2.2 tyres!!

Just wanted to also ask about riding wombat - I did the 50km and was wondering in the race where the wombat trail was?

Also can you ride up there on any day of the week and where do you get trail maps from?

Thanks for an awesome race.

Last edited:

maxadventure

Likes Bikes
This was my first race in 25 years (I started racing at the ftf series at the range in the yarra valley in mid 80s) Managed a 2.58

I got 52km on my Garmin 310xt so I agree the distances were a bit out. No sensor on my purely off satellites.

Awesome fun though - racing has changed a lot in 25 years. I grew up on solid frames and fisher fatrax 2.2 tyres!!

Just wanted to also ask about riding wombat - I did the 50km and was wondering in the race where the wombat trail was?

Also can you ride up there on any day of the week and where do you get trail maps from?

Thanks for an awesome race.
The Wombat track is part of the first 50km of the 100km course, just before the riders head back to Cammeray Waters and feed station 2. You can ride the Wombat track any day of the week .. section are now official track and marked by DSE signage. It is worthwhile to drop in at Woodend Cycles and have a chat to Russ, he can update you on track conditions before you head out.

Chromo

Squid
Trail Directions

I had so much fun doing the 50km version that I want to go back again to explore. I know the area reasonably well but have a couple of queries about navigation. The first section of singletrack on the 50km ride was off Ford Track, heading west. Is this part of the established 'Wombat Track' in reverse or is it a different trail? Also, I'm pretty sure I can find the trails containing the timber bridges, except for the '100 Planker'. Would any of the local bike shops be able to provide directions if I turned up with a map?

MJG

Likes Dirt
I had so much fun doing the 50km version that I want to go back again to explore. I know the area reasonably well but have a couple of queries about navigation. The first section of singletrack on the 50km ride was off Ford Track, heading west. Is this part of the established 'Wombat Track' in reverse or is it a different trail? Also, I'm pretty sure I can find the trails containing the timber bridges, except for the '100 Planker'. Would any of the local bike shops be able to provide directions if I turned up with a map?
Yes, the first singletrack section of the 50 km race was part of the Wombat Track (Section 2) ridden backwards towards Corner Track. The signposts will give it away - if you're going the correct way you'll see several symbols on the posts, if you're going backwards you'll only see the red "wrong way" symbol.

I hope this doesn't come across as rude, but why would you need a bike shop to provide directions if you already have a map and you know the area reasonably well? After all the traffic of the race, all the entry points to the singletracks should be pretty easy to find.

As the preceding post states, Russell at Woodend Cycles is usually happy to give advice.