VIC Wombat 100 / Woodend / 22nd April 2012

SteveG

Likes Bikes
The accidents ahppenned at about 66 km, it is marked with a caution, my problem wasn't hitting them too hard, more bad luck. In 2009 some riders in front of me stipped, I stopped also and put my foot down on the downhill side of the trail, I misjusdeged and somersaulted down the loose dirt slope, no pain until I picked up the bike. This year it was the corner just past it, I was nervous about the area, took it too slow, locked up the wheels on the corner and overbalanced, going over the bars. It was my error. I had thought of getting off and walking it, but had been having a great race.

One point that should be looked at though is the packing up of the finish line before some people have finished. These people have paid to eneter the event the same as the earlier finishers and have put in a great effort just to reach the finish. It does appear to show a lack of respect for these competitors. I don't mean to take anything away from the marchalls or the volunteers involved int eh event though, they were all great.

Last edited:

maxadventure

Likes Bikes
The accidents ahppenned at about 66 km, it is marked with a caution, my problem wasn't hitting them too hard, more bad luck. In 2009 some riders in front of me stipped, I stopped also and put my foot down on the downhill side of the trail, I misjusdeged and somersaulted down the loose dirt slope, no pain until I picked up the bike. This year it was the corner just past it, I was nervous about the area, took it too slow, locked up the wheels on the corner and overbalanced, going over the bars. It was my error. I had thought of getting off and walking it, but had been having a great race.

One point that should be looked at though is the packing up of the finish line before some people have finished. These people have paid to eneter the event the same as the earlier finishers and have put in a great effort just to reach the finish. It does appear to show a lack of respect for these competitors. I don't mean to take anything away from the marchalls or the volunteers involved int eh event though, they were all great.
Hi Steve,

We never pack up the finish line before the sweeper gets in, all we did was remove the tall flag banners, they were cable tied to the crowd barriers and because of the high winds, causing the barriers to fall over (not a good look). The finish arches and everything else was left as is ... just didn't want our finish shute destroyed.

maxadventure

Likes Bikes
I thought aurora images were doing the photos for this race - or I just imagined that.
went to their site then and pics don't appear to be up
Aurora Images indeed, they are sorting through all the pics and will be up before the end of the week. Keep an eye on their website, the Max Adventure facebook page and your mobile (sms) for updates on when they are ready for viewing.

fergo

Likes Dirt

Sounds like the steep switchback descent?

Rhino

Squid
Spent a little bit of last night with the Wombat MTB Club taking down bunting/signs around the course....and only found 1 (one) gel wrapper along the way. Kudos to everyone for not dumping rubbish along the track.

scottp87

Cannon Fodder
Hi ALL

Thanks for providing such a great event.
this was my 1st endure event (50kms) and whilst i came 2nd last in my category due to helping my co rider after his accident, i really enjoyed myself.
i crashed out 8kms in and lost my wireless computer.. but such as life.. and thats part of part of riding.

Just wanted to say a huge thanks to the support team and the organisers..
Another person Benjamin Baker.. not sure if he's on here, he was riding with his daughter.. thanks to you both for spending time to chat and give advise.

our aim was to complete a 50km ride and we succeeded in our goal. now it about becoming stronger and getting the times down.

Ive now entered into the husky 100 50km event. and i look forward to hitting the trails with the xcm series.

Cheers

Scott
xtc29 er2 rider.

fergo

Likes Dirt
Hi ALL

i crashed out 8kms in and lost my wireless computer.. but such as life.. and thats part of part of riding.

Scott
xtc29 er2 rider.
Anything specific you remember about the crash? Log rollover/rut/corner etc that could help? We could have a look tomorrow at 3pm when we meet at the Dam and keep pulling the track markings down. If anyone wants to joins us and help, 3pm at the Wombat Track Dam.

rockymountain_ltd

Likes Dirt
Anything specific you remember about the crash? Log rollover/rut/corner etc that could help? We could have a look tomorrow at 3pm when we meet at the Dam and keep pulling the track markings down. If anyone wants to joins us and help, 3pm at the Wombat Track Dam.
I left my BBB clear lens glasses on the ground at the 1st checkpoint which Russ was manning - by the time I worked out they weren't on my face I was through the next section of pines and I wasn't going backwards! :nonchalance: Don't expect them to turn up and am far from concerned but if by chance they were found I'll put my hand up!:tickled_pink:

cheers for a great day - will be back, (fitter next time!)

Mal Rob

Squid
my buddy and I are back home in adelaide and both agree that this event should have many more entrants because of the quality of the total mtb experience provided. We join others thanking all those who were involved in presenting the event, and will be talking it up to our group back here. We are interested to hear how actual distances compare to predicted distances now the event has been ridden. Of course we have slight variations in our own odometer readings but I had the cammeray waters aid station (45km) at 51km, the third aid station (78km) at 80km and total distance of 105km. I am going to check my calibration but these readings show some inconsistencies. None of this had any impact on our race, just curious.

rolex baxter

Cannon Fodder
Very infrequent contributor here - I did the 50k on Sunday as well.
Have done the event several times before and ended up in the fourth group out which was further back than I'd been 'anticipating'. A bit of traffic early on but the fireroads helped with lots of passing opportunities. I was holding up good, like my nobbly nics, but came unstuck around the 35k mark. Was on some single downtrack, towards the 'bottom' of the valley where the trail runs & my eggbeater pedal clipped a small tree root or similar (LHS of the trail). Needless to say I ate it, and unfortunately my groin encountered my headset. No good at all - know about these 'things' but I didn't see what I clipped at all & I've never crashed like that before. Suffice to say it took the wind out of my sails for the remainder, and I finished in 3.15.
Will be on the lookout for it next time ...

maxadventure

Likes Bikes
my buddy and I are back home in adelaide and both agree that this event should have many more entrants because of the quality of the total mtb experience provided. We join others thanking all those who were involved in presenting the event, and will be talking it up to our group back here. We are interested to hear how actual distances compare to predicted distances now the event has been ridden. Of course we have slight variations in our own odometer readings but I had the cammeray waters aid station (45km) at 51km, the third aid station (78km) at 80km and total distance of 105km. I am going to check my calibration but these readings show some inconsistencies. None of this had any impact on our race, just curious.
Hi Rob,

Cammeray Waters was indeed at 50km. Our intention was not to use the back loop out of Cammeray for the start (adding 5km) - As we only had 280 odd entries for the 100km at time of publishing the event program, there was no concern about bottlenecks leading into the pine forest single track. In the last few weeks entries for the 100km increased to nearly 400 and I made the call to include the back loop to avoid bottlenecks .. thus adding 5km. We updated everyone at the start line briefing regarding feed station distances.

Official distance for the course is 103km.

bt100

Likes Dirt
It depends if you have a wheel sensor on the garmin. GPS alone will always come up short. I have a wheel sensor as well and got 103.74km

Slezoj

Likes Dirt
Bernard Riders Race Report

It was a great race - worth every penny to fly down to ride through Wombat single trails. Will definitely be back next year. Hope that organizers will provide some facility to wash our bikes. It was quiet complicated to find a hose in woodend to wash the bike little bit, before packing it up, before my flight back to Sydney.

race report at www.bernardriders.com.au

Thank you

By they way - any clue if the official video will be on Cycling central this weekend.???

Great day - thx to organisers - and riders

I completed my first 100km race at Wombat - after having a crash at about 35km - and buckling my front wheel. Bent it around, and was rubbing "a little" - but kept going.

Finished in 8hours 10mins - I probably lost an HOUR with the dud wheel (slower/stop-start)...

Have writtern up my day on my blog...> http://t.co/q4ZXFzVK

Thanks to the venue for the setup + food on Sat.night - and all other riders/teams - I had a great day - and NOW, have a time to beat for next year (under 7 hours perhaps)

eisbear

Cannon Fodder
I get pretty much the same stats as you Mal Rob, running a Polar HR cycle computer and wheel sensor.