VIC Wombat 100 / Woodend / 22nd April 2012

Stons

Likes Dirt
Thanks to the organisers, volunteers and track fairies. The course was awesome, despite the rain overnight. I ran Racing Ralphs and was happy with decision for 98% of the time. Did anyone else have issues following signage? I know I didnt but people I know missed a turn and ended up missing 15km in the first half of the race.

Small criticism and I can understand why but to pack up all the signage and bunting around the finish before a number of people still had to finish. I think their experience in finishing deserves to be the same as the first person crossing the line. Otherwise, I had a great day on the bike.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Thanks to the organisers, volunteers and track fairies. The course was awesome, despite the rain overnight. I ran Racing Ralphs and was happy with decision for 98% of the time. Did anyone else have issues following signage? I know I didnt but people I know missed a turn and ended up missing 15km in the first half of the race.

Small criticism and I can understand why but to pack up all the signage and bunting around the finish before a number of people still had to finish. I think their experience in finishing deserves to be the same as the first person crossing the line. Otherwise, I had a great day on the bike.
Yep, I ended up doing an 85km 100km Marathon. Sure improved my finish time. I am however hesitant to blame the signage, as I think it is more likely that tunnel vision was to blame. Just glad that we somehow ended up back on course and didn't have to try and retrace steps, ore require rescuing. It was an interesting experience seeing all the elites come past, and without exception they were polite and considerate.

Great event, and 85km seemed about right for me anyway.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Really enjoyed the 50km format

Yesterday was my first 50km event and I have to say it was nice in many ways when compared to the 100km distance.

Firstly, it wasn't all smooth running but that's MTB racing for you. My mate had a nasty off the bike 2 km into it, and I had to make sure he was good before continuing. I followed suit by having 2 of my own, which was mostly my fault for installing a "faster" front tyre on my bike the day before the event. The second one would have made Australia's funniest videos as I fell in a muddy rut, and came out looking like a dizzy moster in a horror movie. The trail claimed my drink bottle and glasses, oh well. Major lesson: NOTHING NEW ON RACE DAY!

I struggled with the slippery conditions over the first 20km but loved the feeling of finishing with some power in my legs. I must have overtaken about 10-15 riders in the last 10km. All up my ride time was in the high 2:40s, but I crossed the finish in just under 3 hours due to the aforementioned delays. I'm used to pacing myself for 100km events so I finished the day with too much left in the tank. I'll go a bit harder next time, you live and learn.

It was fantastic to have received my MTB "fix", be home for lunch, and have most of the day and enough energy to enjoy the family. Today I'm fresh enough to go for a ride, or a gym session.

I'll be doing more 50s in the future.

Cheers, J

Marx

Likes Dirt
Enjoyed the 50km. Far easier on the head than doing the full 100, could enjoy every single bend in the singletrack, instead of bracing yourself for the sufferfest the last 3rd of a 100km MTB distance can dish out.

I ran [dry weather] Hutchison Cobras which had their tread filled in every time I looked down on my front tyre during the first hour of the event. I opted out of the obstacles & walked them, even though I rode them last time doing the full 100kms. The greasiness of the damp course & the congestion you get starting with the last group (I got there v late), does make the B line more attractive.

I’ve pencilled in another 50km for 2013.

Marx

Likes Dirt
Results:
Click on this link: http://www.multisportaustralia.com.a...&RId=691&EId=1
Then, on the left, select your ‘race’ (50/100/18kms).
Then, go to the ‘Search’ tab & click it.
Put in your surname [search].

PS: Reports from friends who didn’t start in the first wave that their time was taken from the first wave start time. (so stood around for the 5~10mins before the next wave was sent off).

Stew41

Likes Bikes
Results:
Click on this link: http://www.multisportaustralia.com.a...&RId=691&EId=1
Then, on the left, select your ‘race’ (50/100/18kms).
Then, go to the ‘Search’ tab & click it.
Put in your surname [search].

PS: Reports from friends who didn’t start in the first wave that their time was taken from the first wave start time. (so stood around for the 5~10mins before the next wave was sent off).
Perfect.........you just answered my question. I started in the second wave and by my calcs (Garmin 800) pulled a 3:04 yet showing as 3:15 on the provisional results.

tumble_downs

Likes Dirt
PS: Reports from friends who didn’t start in the first wave that their time was taken from the first wave start time. (so stood around for the 5~10mins before the next wave was sent off).[/QUOTE]

Not the case. If you click on your name, it shows what time you started and then calculates your final time based on that. So I have no excuse - I'm just slow.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Perfect.........you just answered my question. I started in the second wave and by my calcs (Garmin 800) pulled a 3:04 yet showing as 3:15 on the provisional results.
Did you turn autopause off on the Garmin? I only ask because I didn't. :)

SteveG

Likes Bikes
I don't seem to have had much luck with the wombat, 2009 had a stack and broke a finger, 2010 got the hail, cue lots of bruises up arms and insurance claim on car, this year had a stack 10 m from where I crashed in 2009, cracked my nose, blood everywhere, the photo's should be good, maybe I'll get on the website banner again.
Otherwise it was a great event and really enjoyed it, finished in a much faster time than previous years. Thought it was really well run and marshalls/first aid were great. Thanks to the guys who stopped to check if I was OK, (and were more worried than I was about the amount of blood)

softek

Likes Dirt
I don't seem to have had much luck with the wombat, 2009 had a stack and broke a finger, 2010 got the hail, cue lots of bruises up arms and insurance claim on car, this year had a stack 10 m from where I crashed in 2009, cracked my nose, blood everywhere, the photo's should be good, maybe I'll get on the website banner again.
Otherwise it was a great event and really enjoyed it, finished in a much faster time than previous years. Thought it was really well run and marshalls/first aid were great. Thanks to the guys who stopped to check if I was OK, (and were more worried than I was about the amount of blood)
wow man, you certainly don't have any luck when it comes to the wombat 100, but one thing for sure , YOUR TOUGH AS NAILS mate.

icarus_m

Likes Bikes
That's probably because you couldn't see it pouring out of your nose like I could! ;) It was a relief to see you roll up at the marshalls though.

MJG

Likes Dirt
Could you describe where on the course you had these accidents? It would be good if we could fix or signpost the location for future races such that it's less dangerous. A once-off wouldn't be too concerning, but these sound close enough to warrant a closer look.

Photos from the day

Howdy all, seeing I had my photo taken more times than i did during my wedding day I was wondering where and when photos (if they havent already) will be posted? Have to prove to people i actually attended!

fergo

Likes Dirt
Could you describe where on the course you had these accidents? It would be good if we could fix or signpost the location for future races such that it's less dangerous. A once-off wouldn't be too concerning, but these sound close enough to warrant a closer look.
From talking to other marshals, it was between the 100 planker bridge (me @ CP16) and Fitzgerald Rd (CP17).

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Howdy all, seeing I had my photo taken more times than i did during my wedding day I was wondering where and when photos (if they havent already) will be posted? Have to prove to people i actually attended!
I thought aurora images were doing the photos for this race - or I just imagined that.
went to their site then and pics don't appear to be up