VIC Wombat 100 : Woodend VIC (12 April 2015) - Entries Now Open

maxadventure

Likes Bikes

The Wombat 100 is back on the 12th April 2015 for the seventh edition of this popular XCM event. With 100km, 75km, 50km and 25km course options, the Wombat is an achievable MTB endurance event for everyone from elite riders all the way to beginner level.

New 25km Course
After a successful launch of the 75km at the 2014 race – next year we are introducing an all new 25km course. Traditionally reserved for junior riders only, the new 25km will serve as the junior race but is now open to riders of all ages. If you fancy riding a shorter version of the legendary Wombat or are new to mountain biking, the new 25km option provides a safe and fun introduction to the sport of mountain biking.
As always the race includes the full range of trails and terrain in the Wombat State Forest and surrounding pine plantation with over 50% flowing groomed single track (including the famous Wombat track) – our promise of 100% dirt continues!

Cammeray Waters just outside of Woodend will play host once again. This 200 acre first class conference and function centre is the perfect backdrop to a weekend of mountain bikes, camping, beer and mates. Located just one hour outside of Melbourne and 40 minutes from Tullamarine airport, Cammeray Waters is easily accessible for riders just dropping in for the day; or if you prefer to make a weekend of it, there are 39 guest rooms and ample camping/parking space for all.

Early Bird Discount – November Only
Yes we noticed, Victorians will wait until 5 minutes before the gun goes to sign-up for a race! We also know your a bit tight. So here’s a conundrum for you – we are offering a 10% discount on our standard entry for all distances – limited to the month of November only. Before you crack a brain cell doing the math, you could save $20 on a 100km entry if you enter in November. If you want a premium venue, great food, awesome course with loads of single track and an ice cold beer straight from the tap when you cross the finish line – entries are now open at http://www.wombat100.com.au/entry/

Event Merchandise
Check out our exclusive Wombat merchandise:

Wombat 100 Jersey ($80)
This limited edition jersey features Quick Dry active protection fabric, silicone grippers and a full length zipper for those long summer rides. It’s available on pre-order up until Wednesday 9th April and will be available for pickup at the event. They are priced at $80. They can be pre-ordered when you enter the event or added to your entry at a later date. Get yours today!

Event T-Shirt ($30)
The short sleeve t-shirts include the following features:
• 100% cotton preshrunk jersey
• Euro (fitted) cut
• Seamless double needle collar
• Taped neck and shoulders for durability
• Deluxe 30’s soft style yarn

Please note the t-shirts are euro (fitted) cut, if you are used to or prefer a traditional style t-shirt you should probably order one size up. They are priced at $30. Same deal as the jersey, they can be pre-ordered when you enter the event or added to your entry at a later date.

For larger images of the merchandise and to view the individual size charts, visit http://www.wombat100.com.au

mmatrix

Likes Dirt
Dose anyone enter an event 5 months before it happens ?

Just a question for people out there. Do you enter any events 5 months before hand?

The Wombat 100 is back on the 12th April 2015 for the seventh edition of this popular XCM event. With 100km, 75km, 50km and 25km course options, the Wombat is an achievable MTB endurance event for everyone from elite riders all the way to beginner level.

New 25km Course
After a successful launch of the 75km at the 2014 race – next year we are introducing an all new 25km course. Traditionally reserved for junior riders only, the new 25km will serve as the junior race but is now open to riders of all ages. If you fancy riding a shorter version of the legendary Wombat or are new to mountain biking, the new 25km option provides a safe and fun introduction to the sport of mountain biking.
As always the race includes the full range of trails and terrain in the Wombat State Forest and surrounding pine plantation with over 50% flowing groomed single track (including the famous Wombat track) – our promise of 100% dirt continues!

Cammeray Waters just outside of Woodend will play host once again. This 200 acre first class conference and function centre is the perfect backdrop to a weekend of mountain bikes, camping, beer and mates. Located just one hour outside of Melbourne and 40 minutes from Tullamarine airport, Cammeray Waters is easily accessible for riders just dropping in for the day; or if you prefer to make a weekend of it, there are 39 guest rooms and ample camping/parking space for all.

Early Bird Discount – November Only
Yes we noticed, Victorians will wait until 5 minutes before the gun goes to sign-up for a race! We also know your a bit tight. So here’s a conundrum for you – we are offering a 10% discount on our standard entry for all distances – limited to the month of November only. Before you crack a brain cell doing the math, you could save $20 on a 100km entry if you enter in November. If you want a premium venue, great food, awesome course with loads of single track and an ice cold beer straight from the tap when you cross the finish line – entries are now open at http://www.wombat100.com.au/entry/

Event Merchandise
Check out our exclusive Wombat merchandise:

Wombat 100 Jersey ($80)
This limited edition jersey features Quick Dry active protection fabric, silicone grippers and a full length zipper for those long summer rides. It’s available on pre-order up until Wednesday 9th April and will be available for pickup at the event. They are priced at $80. They can be pre-ordered when you enter the event or added to your entry at a later date. Get yours today!

Event T-Shirt ($30)
The short sleeve t-shirts include the following features:
• 100% cotton preshrunk jersey
• Euro (fitted) cut
• Seamless double needle collar
• Taped neck and shoulders for durability
• Deluxe 30’s soft style yarn

Please note the t-shirts are euro (fitted) cut, if you are used to or prefer a traditional style t-shirt you should probably order one size up. They are priced at $30. Same deal as the jersey, they can be pre-ordered when you enter the event or added to your entry at a later date.

For larger images of the merchandise and to view the individual size charts, visit http://www.wombat100.com.au

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Just a question for people out there. Do you enter any events 5 months before hand?
Not any more. Years ago when events sold out I would enter as soon as possible. Now I generally enter the week of the event.
The exception would be a major event I need to book accommodation for.
In saying that, entering a big event like the Wombat 100 is a great way to keep you motivated to keep on training.

John U

MTB Precision
No mate, it's $120 if you enter in November (Early Bird) or $130 after November - http://wombat100.com.au/entry/
Sorry for being lazy but I didn't want to fill out all the entry details to verify the cost. I didn't completely see the linked info you just provided. I must have been on my phone.

FYI - we are offering a 10% discount on our standard entry for all distances – limited to the month of November only. Before you crack a brain cell doing the math, you could save $20 on a 100km entry if you enter in November.
If a 10% dicsount is $20 then the full cost (100%) is $200. Not trying to be a smartarse but that is how interpreted your original post above. $200 didn't sound right which is why asked.

Your entry prices sound completely fair. I will very likely be signing up.

Shrekmeister

Likes Dirt
Not any more. Years ago when events sold out I would enter as soon as possible. Now I generally enter the week of the event.
The exception would be a major event I need to book accommodation for.
In saying that, entering a big event like the Wombat 100 is a great way to keep you motivated to keep on training.
thats becoming apparent....

example being Highland Fling...

previously sold out in hours....so everyone jumped in quick...

this year it didnt sell out...

appears to be a bit of market saturation...many races available ......

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Majority of riders in this style of event are punters and need more than 4 weeks to train for a 100k, so I would suggest most will commit well before the final month
I intend to do event but won't enter to final weeks .... reasons; weather and don't want to chase organizers if event is cancelled or I cant make it due to injury etc..

not criticizing you just generally;
kind of sounds like dum marketing to make the fees higher closer to event, I know there's 'enter now get it cheap incentive', however once that time passes you then have a disincentive to enter due to higher cost.

its a great venue for an event and have done it a few times, very well organised, good vide.

maxadventure

Likes Bikes
I intend to do event but won't enter to final weeks .... reasons; weather and don't want to chase organizers if event is cancelled or I cant make it due to injury etc..

not criticizing you just generally;
kind of sounds like dum marketing to make the fees higher closer to event, I know there's 'enter now get it cheap incentive', however once that time passes you then have a disincentive to enter due to higher cost.

its a great venue for an event and have done it a few times, very well organised, good vide.
Good discussion and I can't criticize your thinking, I would most likely do the same if I was planning to ride an event. But I would venture a guess that you do regular miles, stay fit throughout the year, disciplined in training and can enter a 100k event at the drop of a hat (we will call you the regular rider). The opposite of you is the "punter" - needs a race to motivate training, does irregular miles, 50/50 if he will be fit enough to complete a 100k/50k race. I'll come back to this in a sec ...

To put the event organisers hat back on, Shrekmeister above is correct in that big events like the Highland Fling, Odyssey and Convict don't sell out anymore hence people can wait until a week out to enter. Obviously the root cause is the significant drop in entries, case in point is last week's Highland Fling - only 1000 riders compared to years gone by when they got 1800-2000. They are not alone, every big marathon event is dropping significant numbers.

So where are all the riders? Has cross country mountain biking experienced a decline in popularity, saturation of the market with too many event?

Although more events have had an impact, I would suggest not to the level mentioned above. Fundamentally the number of big marathon events have not increased, the same ones are still out there: Odyssey, Fling, Convict, Wombat, CP, FC Epic - all with a very long history. Would the increase in smaller club run/private promoter events have such an impact that a big event like the Fling drops 800 riders? I doubt it. Perhaps a biased opinion from me because we run two of them but I believe riders continue to enter the big events because they know what they are getting, they would rather pick and choose the smaller events as they can sometimes be, a fizzer.

Decline in the growth of mountain biking? Not if you believe the stats/research on the growth of cycling in Australia. Yes, probably more related to bicycle sales and infrastructure projects but there are no indications that mountain biking is in "serious" decline.

Coming full circle, all events are made up of "regular riders" and "punters". From our experience, XCM and all of our other events (trail running, obstacle racing, adventure racing) the majority of entrants are made up of "punters". So when events don't sell out, and there is no incentive to enter early the "regular riders" wait until the week before, confirms the weather will be good and enters the event. The "punter" does the same, but he isn't disciplined enough, doesn't really commit to the training and one month out feels that he isn't ready to race and decides not to enter. Couple of factors that support this thinking:
  • avg. finish times for 100k have become quicker (less DNF's, cut offs) over the years
  • 50km entries far outweigh 100km ones now compared to previous years when events were selling out and 100km entrants made up the majority. The main difference being punters used to commit to 100 because it was their bucket list ride; and due to events selling out they had to commit early which motivated the training. Now 50km is where its at, most do not put the training in and others simply don't enter because even 50km seem beyond most punters on no training.

I could be drawing a longbow but that is my assessment .. happy to hear counter arguments.

To answer your question mtb101, not our intention to create a disincentive for late entries, rather a strong push to create an incentive to enter early for obvious reasons. One cannot exist without the other. It makes it hella of alot easier to put together a quality event if you don't have to chew your nails four weeks out because entries are struggling or your cash flow is stopping you from pulling the trigger on those cool Sockguy socks you want to give to every rider. You get my drift.

Last edited:

softek

Likes Dirt
awesome event, i did it this year and the plan is to do it next year aswell, however, my reason why I will enter on the week of the race is PURELY dude to the conditions, ie. if its rains like CRAZY, im out, im so over riding in the wet. Put simply, its just no FUN!!!!

quiggs

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the comments from a promoters perspective, maxadventure. What you say is true and over recent months there has been a thread going in the particular topic as to why the decline of participation numbers of events http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?285058-Reduced-numbers-in-XC-marathon-events-Why and all seemed to agree that the increase of satellite events around the blue chip events ( the ones you mentioned) that have typically sold out in days after opening and in some instance hours has most likely led to the decrease in numbers at any one particular event.

What would be interesting to see is the age bracket to riders, without thinking to hard about it, it does seem to be that the average age of riders is increasing. Basically there seems to be a decreasing number of riders coming into mtbing racing the 20-30 yr old bracket. While us old blokes in the 40+ age categories whom have been around for some years are probably not getting to as many events, probably due to the increased family commitments that comes about from having kids.

Again thanks for the comments and your inside thoughts.

Hoping to get there but will know doubt miss it due to my sons 1st birthday around that time!

Quiggs

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
thanks for detailed response, yes fair enough you're on the ball with those reasons - .

here's my reasons why I think events don't fill like they used to:

1. economic. I've had to be a lot more careful on my event spend - suspect others have similar reasons.

2. physical challenge, can you ride 100k of single track ........... yep! So that aren't as a big incentive anymore.

3. adventure: the core of an mtber is that they're an adventurer, so same format courses vs keep it fresh ... not the same route year after year - look at the Odyssey, from an organizer perspective they want to keep a formula that works - a bit like Rocky, Rocky II, Rocky III, Rocky IV, Rocky V and Rocky Balboa. vs a new format each year.

So for me if I'm going to sign up and organize accommodation etc, then you want an event that gives you a new adventure... stuff you don't normally do.

Now when the marathon format started to become popular not many riders knew if they could ride 100k and how long it would take, now we know, so that hurdle has been overcome, so next challenge is the adventure aspect and that would involve a course you haven't ridden before.

So what's out there, all the same formats/courses and yes if you're an elite you want to go faster and faster on same course, if you're not, then maybe you want to go faster on different and diverse courses.

the Odyssey had it as they had a very challenging adventure type course that they could have played with the format year after year nope, what do they do, listen to the punters and go with the ride in large circles format .... year after year. So the only challenge is to improve your times only.

I don't want to say it but how much single track do you want to ride, how many times can you go over the same stuff?

Not trying to come across as some kind of unappreciative whinger as I really enjoy doing events, I do road (Amy, Alpine), cx (gravel grinders) and mtb.

dg25

Likes Bikes
Maybe you guys could make your events cheaper than all the others. If that was the case I'd enter your race with out any second thoughts.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Have raced the Wombat 50 twice and enjoyed it. Yes it is more expensive then the average club race, but I do rather like the Wombat terrain and thus will definitely enter at a later date.

For me saving $10-$20 is not a huge incentive to enter now. I'll more likely look at the weather to confirm it's not going to be a complete mud-fest bogpit. This year, we actually turned up to register, pick up our numbers, etc and then realised we hadn't even entered!! Thankfully on-the-day entries were accepted. After crossing the line, washing down the bikes, eating some food, etc, we drove home, not realising we had made the podium. I don't get on the podium much (if ever?!) so was bummed to have missed it!

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
is there a profile for the 50 and the 75? or what's the overall metres climbed for each?

do MA put out start lists?

beer truck, not wanting to promote unhealthy acts but Forrest Brewery had a killer beer bus after Otway event, will Holgate be there?

a good reason to only do 50k :peace:
forrest_beer_van.jpg

Last edited:

Mafra

Likes Bikes
Good questions MTB101 - I was foolish enough to sign up for the 50 yesterday without thinking those through....