VIC Wombat 100 : Woodend VIC (12 April 2015) - Entries Now Open

kbekus

Likes Dirt
good efforts guys, it was a superb day for a ride and the tracks I saw were in great nick. A bit sad to see the 100 plank bridge had been cut into lots of pieces, not that I'd ever ridden across it :yield: I took my cousin along and convinced her that the 50K ride would be a good starting point.. whoops! We cut a few corners and followed the 75Km track turn points and eked out a 31Km ride for the morning. I think I said the same the first time I did the 50, that the course feels odd - the first 10Km of single track is tricky, in a steep gulley and not a good first timer track. There's also *lots* of fire road in the back half.. it's impressive that the organiser can plot out 4 different courses to be used in the same day but it would be nice if the 50 used more of Wombat 1 and 2 which are a touch more beginner friendly. Still, a great day out and a good ride.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, because the 75km and 100km courses both followed the same first 48km loop, and the slow 100km riders started 5 min in front of the 75km field, we were catching riders within the first 4km! If you got caught at the wrong place, or couldn't get a pass done, you could be stuck for a while.

I got caught behind some wanker 100k rider in the Tardis section, then Wombat track 1, asked to pass at least 4 times before he finally let me through, must have sat on his wheel for at least 6-7km. I choose to believe that he had a hearing disability.
probably the same guy I got stuck behind full sus giant I think, anyway got him on large log roll .... he took b line, I took log, extra click click on hope hub got him moving over.

pastavore, we must have rubbed elbows I was only 5 mins back from you - yep went too hard but wanted good riders around me.

was slow going later on with 100s but my thoughts were we're all in the same boat so no disadvantage.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
probably the same guy I got stuck behind full sus giant I think, anyway got him on large log roll .... he took b line, I took log, extra click click on hope hub got him moving over.

pastavore, we must have rubbed elbows I was only 5 mins back from you - yep went too hard but wanted good riders around me.

was slow going later on with 100s but my thoughts were we're all in the same boat so no disadvantage.
Tall, older dude with longish grey hair, blue jersey? Yes, I spent enough time behind him to remember him well.

Yeah, I reckon we must have been pretty close together at the start. Have to arrange to say g'day next time. Golden Triangle epic in 2 weeks?

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
And you must have gone past me, I was tired and underdone going in, but wanted to do the 100 anyway. Did about 6:50. I thought it was interesting starting the 75's 5 mins after the back 100's...

focusfirst

Cannon Fodder
Did the 100km finished at 6h40min took it easy as im not great on single track just yet and my fitness is lacking due to new baby in the family. Had a great day out, coming from a road background i really noticed that the single track took alot more energy than i would have liked due to my lack of smoothnes. Overtook heaps of people on the fire trail climbs only to get overtaken on the single track again. Great course though!!!

gnarly_rider

Likes Dirt
A bit sad to see the 100 plank bridge had been cut into lots of pieces, not that I'd ever ridden across it :yield:
FYI from the Wombat MTB club pages (http://www.wombatmtb.com.au/):

100 Planker and Distillery Bridge

Published on Friday, 27 March 2015 16:18
Written by Content Editor

Dear Club Members.

Regrettably the iconic bridges on Distillery track and the 100 Planker have reached the end of their lives. Both bridges are in a rotten and unsafe condition and, as such, neither structure can be used in the upcoming edition of the Wombat 100. The club has been working with DELWP to find acceptable work arounds for the Wombat 100 and has also been discussing options for the longer term.

Due to safety and management concerns DELWP is unable to allow the club to replace these structures. DELWP also recognizes the iconic nature of these structures and realizes that many mountain bikers will be sad to see these bridges go. Unfortunately as responsible land managers they are unable to allow these types of structures.

The club is committed to working with DELWP on these matters, so that both Distillery trail and 100 Planker trail can remain open, and possibly be formalized in the future.

DELWP has given the club permission to re-route the Distillery track further up the gully to a point where a natural rock crossing can be built. This work will be completed before the Wombat 100 and will also be the long term route that the track will follow.

The wombat 100 will use an existing ford to get around the 100 Planker bridge. Long term options for this trail are still being developed.

If club members wish to discuss the closures of these structures Robin Holmes, from DELWP, may be contacted through their customer service line on 136 186.

The committee is asking club members to be patient and respect the decisions that have been negotiated between the club and DELWP. We are trying to work towards viable long term solutions that will be beneficial to the mountain biking community.

softek

Likes Dirt
I did the 75km too, went out waaaaaaaay too hard, started cramping about 35km in, and absolutely suffered home in 4hr 16m. Got passed in the last 10k by a couple of the Elite 100k riders, bugger me those boys are strong.
well done mate, I was just 1 minute behind you bro, if things go to plan, I see you again at the bendigo epic

Last edited:

prodgeham

Likes Bikes
Shame about the 100 planker, it was a bit of an icon. Still, that whole downhill section from rooters onwards is insanely good fun. Not too bothered about the bridge on distillery, that was definitely getting a bit crusty! Would be great to know what structures are permitted, I'm more than happy to donate for wood or other materials.

MJG

Likes Dirt
Shame about the 100 planker, it was a bit of an icon. Still, that whole downhill section from rooters onwards is insanely good fun. Not too bothered about the bridge on distillery, that was definitely getting a bit crusty! Would be great to know what structures are permitted, I'm more than happy to donate for wood or other materials.
I hope you've got deep pockets. I was there with the DELWP land managers when the Distillery and 100 planker bridges were looked at. Since this govt dept has no guidelines yet for MTB specific bridges they have to follow design standards for walking track bridges. Anything with a drop to the ground from deck level greater than 1 m requires handrails (not sure how high above the deck these need to be). Likely minimum width 600 mm. All man-made structures (not applicable to dirt ramps and logs/rocks lying on the ground) must have a structural engineer sign them off and then have periodic inspection and probably maintenance as well. I'm sure there are others with more experience in trackbuilding who can give a more authoritative answer.

For replacement of the 100 planker the ranger's estimate was in the ballpark of $20k - $30k.

In our opinion, if the dept could find that kind of $, that would be better spent elsewhere. e.g. it would buy lots of decent-sized rocks that we could use to armour and/or realign sections of Wombat #1 that are eroding. We aren't as geologically blessed with readily at-hand rock as other MTB areas.

Since motorbikers have found and started using the Rooters downhill/Gap jump and 100 planker tracks in the last few years they're become very difficult to displace and they're going to continue to rip these tracks up. These aren't formalised MTB tracks so we can't enforce any motorbike exclusions. Rooters downhill/Gap jump is still OK after a crew of 4 spent a few hours filling unavoidable ruts with rocks and dirt - not something we're keen to do too often while the motos keep using it. Enjoy it while it's still a clean run. With the 100 planker gone we'll probably stop riding and maintaining that track and leave it to become an ugly erosion gully.

To answer your other question, within reason, any structures on the existing formalised tracks that are made of natural logs/rocks/dirt that aren't significantly elevated are OK.

No new tracks can be made without permission, fines of around $5k to those who are caught doing so were mentioned. So we (or you) can't just go out making new stuff without planning and land manager's permission.

prodgeham

Likes Bikes
Sucks that motos rip up rooters but I guess not much can be done about that. So does this mean distillery is a step closer to becoming a legal/recognised track along with loops 1 and 2? Could be loop 3 :) I don't mind the new diversion where the bridge used to be, looks like it'll hold up well to bad weather too. Great job on that one! A few more 'natural logs or rocks' could make there way on to the track and it would be up there with the likes of Mariners Run as a great short blast! Already a great track. Full credit to everyone that's worked on it.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
just enter number, no need to register, if that don't work then there's a search tool, its hard to see the quality of image very small. one day a genius might take photos of people doing something like going over jumps, think that's called an action shot.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
very nice. that's what I was looking for. a no brainer to base yourself at that log.

"warning warning, logs on course, logs on course"

16545034473_ffeb923ebc_z.jpg

Chris JONGEWAARD, it's business time.
17146016406_ce5285fef3_z.jpg

some good form;
17171668065_6d2cb665be_z.jpg

Last edited:

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
they call it the roadie filter don't they? he he.

although poor kid has a good reason.

funny thing is if you ride wombat that's the first log roll/jump you hit from car park you'd think riders would be comfortable with that.

I don't think there's a sweeter xc log drop in vic that I've ridden than this one - can hit at speed, perfect safe exit and nice trajectory into single track.

Last edited: