VIC Wombat 100 : Woodend VIC (12 April 2015) - Entries Now Open

gnarly_rider

Likes Dirt
funny thing is if you ride wombat that's the first log roll/jump you hit from car park you'd think riders would be comfortable with that.
With the growing usage of the new-ish 'Junction carpark' at the top of the hill (at the end of that first section of single track), I get the impression a growing number of folks are entirely skipping the 'gully singletrack' SE of Fingerpost Road; I've seen plenty of riders finishing the west big loops, popping out onto Fingerpost and then heading north of Fingerpost back to the Junction. Possibly then doing another short loop out west and back.

It's actually a very attractive option for beginners (gives them a decently long nice 'flat' section of track to warm up from the car) and removes two of the 'bigger' climbs.

Be interesting to see a Strava heatmap.

Last edited:

MJG

Likes Dirt
With the growing usage of the new-ish 'Junction carpark' at the top of the hill (at the end of that first section of single track), I get the impression a growing number of folks are entirely skipping the 'gully singletrack' SE of Fingerpost Road; I've seen plenty of riders finishing the west big loops, popping out onto Fingerpost and then heading north of Fingerpost back to the Junction. Possibly then doing another short loop out west and back.

It's actually a very attractive option for beginners (gives them a decently long nice 'flat' section of track to warm up from the car) and removes two of the 'bigger' climbs.

Be interesting to see a Strava heatmap.
The DELWP (and by extension, the Wombat MTB Club) prefer that the Triangle (Junction) carpark be used as the trailhead so that access to firefighting water from the dam is kept open and not blocked by cars. It's the reason that the steel info sign was erected at the Triangle. We've tried to publicise this on FB and in these forums but these media are easily overlooked, as your message shows. We're about to put a small laminated sign explaining this onto the old wooden noticeboard near the dam - chances are that this will be vandalised soon enough, luckily such signs won't break the bank.

Any Strava heatmap of the Wombat MTB Track will be skewed by data from the two Wombat 24 races that didn't use the gully section between the dam and Triangle.