VIC Wombat 24 hour 6/7 December 2014

Russell...360

Likes Dirt
Wombat 24 pre ride

Come check out the latest track works at the Wombat 24 pre ride on the 29th September 11 am.
Please RSVP to 0423388167

splinter1959

Likes Dirt
Sighting Lap

Heard on the grapevine there was another sighting lap ride being organised for Oct 13th.

What time to start and where to meet?

MJG

Likes Dirt
On the last practice lap 3 weeks ago I clocked it at 13.45km.

It is not 100% set, there will be some single track added to take out a bog so lap should end up about 15km.
There will also be part of the course going through the Cammeray Waters resort which is not open to the public outside of the event weekend. That will add another km or so.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
How hard is the loop? What's it like? Can someone compare it to anther track I may have ridden? Forrest, Bright, Mt Beauty, Bendigo, You Yangs???? Anyone?

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Would it be possible for someone to pm a link to a garmin or Strava section of the track? I work Sundays and can't make the pre rides.

MJG

Likes Dirt
How hard is the loop? What's it like? Can someone compare it to anther track I may have ridden? Forrest, Bright, Mt Beauty, Bendigo, You Yangs???? Anyone?
It's pretty straightforward, very few sections require good technical skills, if any. It's somewhat similar to the flowy bits of the Bendigo Golden Triangle Epic course. We're struggling to find rocks up here - those we do find we put to good use - so it's nothing at all like the Cavagnas Rd circuit at Sedgwick. Nowhere near as steep as Big Hill at Mt Beauty. Flowy like the Kurrajong trails at the You Yangs but not as flat. Not much vertical gain/loss either - it'll be in the 150-200 m range per lap. Definitely singlespeed friendly.

If you can't make it to Sunday's ride, a group of us leaves every Sat morning from Woodend at 0615 and this week we'll be riding the course (again) to check what needs attention at the afternoon's working bee. You'll need lights for the first half hour or so. Usually back by 9 am.

There are plenty of sources for getting maps of the Wombat Track...stick to the bits west of Fingerpost Rd and you'll know say 75% of the course. We're loath to publicise the exact course because it uses parts of the Wombat Track ridden counter to normal flow.

Russell...360

Likes Dirt
Wombat Pre Ride 13th October

Would it be possible for someone to pm a link to a garmin or Strava section of the track? I work Sundays and can't make the pre rides.
Hi all,

We will be doing a wombat24 pre ride this Sunday meeting at the corner Fingerpost and Taylors rd (wombat track ) 11am
Please rsvp via text to 0423388167
cheers
Russell

quiggs

Likes Dirt
The lap will be 17km in total.
Its easy with not much climbing and lots of single track with passing points put in.
Common Russ, you've done solo 24s in the past even a down hill feels like a climb after 20hrs on the bike!

Hopefully there will be another rec ride in a months time as I'm tempted

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Common Russ, you've done solo 24s in the past even a down hill feels like a climb after 20hrs on the bike!

Hopefully there will be another rec ride in a months time as I'm tempted
2 x 24's in a month? Man you are too tough or :crazy: :p

Russell...360

Likes Dirt
Wombat24 pre ride Sat 26th Oct

Wombat24 pre ride 26th Oct 2 pm meet at the cnr Fingerpost And Taylors rd (Wombat Track).
RSVP via text to 0423388167

paggnr

Likes Dirt
I understand the reasons for not wanting to put up the track. But would it be possible to put up the profile of the lap so I can understand what my 24hrs will look like?

MJG

Likes Dirt
About 200 - 250 m vertical gain/loss per lap...this is without the Cammeray Waters resort part of the course.

Last edited:

MJG

Likes Dirt
I understand the reasons for not wanting to put up the track. But would it be possible to put up the profile of the lap so I can understand what my 24hrs will look like?
Profile without Cammeray Waters resort part of course, starting from Wombat Triangle trailhead:
View attachment 275486

Cammeray Waters front gate is at the lowest point about 1.8 km into the profile.

Last edited: