VIC Wombat 24 hour 6/7 December 2014

MJG

Likes Dirt
No change to track conditions, just as good as last night. That puddle I mentioned above is now drained and filled in. No excuses for getting muddy, unless you're forced into one of the puddles on the named vehicle tracks (Ford Tk and Corner Tk). Should be a great weekend.

MJG

Likes Dirt
No change to track conditions, just as good as last night. That puddle I mentioned above is now drained and filled in. No excuses for getting muddy, unless you're forced into one of the puddles on the named vehicle tracks (Ford Tk and Corner Tk). Should be a great weekend.
Oops, that was asking for it.
About 26 mm fell in an hour between 4-5 am in Macedon, but the radar shows this was pretty localised and it might not be as bad out at the Wombat Track. Anyone closer had a look yet?

Progressive Results as of 16:15 at the Wombat 24 attached.

Despite the rain everyone has big muddy smiles :D
Any errors please come see us at the timing tent - results will be posted on the website shortly (once we have log in)
That's great AlanT. Please keep,them coming. My friend is leading men's open solo in his first solo. I live 10 hrs or so away from event so am eagerly awaiting your regular updates. Cheers Canoscott

AlanT

Likes Dirt
That's great AlanT. Please keep,them coming. My friend is leading men's open solo in his first solo. I live 10 hrs or so away from event so am eagerly awaiting your regular updates. Cheers Canoscott
Excellent - more coming soon, will wait for all the 6+6 finishers to be done and will post again.

Estimated time - 7:30pm.

AlanT

Likes Dirt
Conditions have got worse out here - with the rain lashing down.

Here at the timing team we're nice and warm - but feeling sorry for them 24hr racers! They're doing a great job though - unfortunately Tobias broke his rear derailler on his latest lap for a lap time of 1hr 40, still in 1st place over Kevin Skidmore.

Results as of 03:35

Attachments

jamespierce

Likes Dirt
The weather was foul, but the event was great. Our crew enjoyed some good results, but it's equally inspiring to see folks out there all day and all night just plugging away especially when it was so tough.

A few highlights ...
  • Seeing Tobias totally dominate the field, especially after a large mechanical in the night. His choice of Thunder Burts despite the wet and his quick quick laps says something eh.
  • The increase in brake pad sales, I think I personally changed 10 pairs in our tent.
  • A few beers care of Holgate saturday night.
  • The brief few hours late on Saturday when the track gripped up.

Looking forward to seeing photos.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I got a very late call-up into a 6-man team on Thursday evening. I initially knocked it back 'cos I was already doing the Gazebo 3-hr, but through Friday at work my mad brain started having second thoughts.... Messaged back to see if the spot was still open, and with only 18 hours before start time I was in for two races for the weekend....

Our whole team was taking this pretty casually; most of the guys did a spin, while I held off as long as possible to allow some recovery from the morning's effort. I didn't voice any objection when the suggestion was made to nick into Woodend for dinner before I had set wheel to dirt on this course.

By the time I saddled up for my first (and ultimately only) lap for the race soon after 10pm, the track was by the sound of it at its best for the entire race. Only problem was the fog meant I was riding virtually blind, on a track unseen! Careful aiming of the lights slightly off to either side and turning them down a notch helped with visibility a bit, as the more diffused light didn't flare so badly in the fog but it was still pretty shithouse.

A bit before halfway around I picked up a solo rider whose lights had died; my somewhat leisurely pace suited him to latch onto without forcing him to push too hard to stay with me, and he was able to tell me what to expect coming up, so we both benefitted. :smile:

A few drips of rain began to return towards the end of my lap. A couple of our other guys strung some laps in, but as the rain got heavier during the night the last rider decided not to wake the next one up. By daylight & seeing the filthy state of the riders still out there our collective enthusiasm washed away, and we packed up & shot through.

gpmtb

Likes Bikes
Wombat24...done and drenched

Wow, what an event! Despite pretty damn ordinary conditions the Wombat24 was a blast. Making use of some darn fine trails and a great event base, Full Cycle Events did a supreme job, so thanks guys. Get on it for 2015, teams solo, whatever, it is all catered for.
This was my first crack at a 24 hour, and to say things didn't go to plan, would put way too much emphasis on having a plan in the first place...anyway if your interested, have a look at the race from my perspective at the following.
https://ridethedirttrail.wordpress.com/

matty be

Likes Bikes
Wow, what an event! Despite pretty damn ordinary conditions the Wombat24 was a blast. Making use of some darn fine trails and a great event base, Full Cycle Events did a supreme job, so thanks guys. Get on it for 2015, teams solo, whatever, it is all catered for.
This was my first crack at a 24 hour, and to say things didn't go to plan, would put way too much emphasis on having a plan in the first place...anyway if your interested, have a look at the race from my perspective at the following.
https://ridethedirttrail.wordpress.com/

GPMTB can i post this link onto Full Cycle Events Facebook page, it's a great overview of WOMBAT24