World Cup #2 - Andorra DH Live

Scott

bAdmin
Staff member
I just sent Stu from MTBcut a query about a lower quality (lower data rate) feed, and the possibility of an audio only feed. I'm not sure if he can do anything, but it seems that anyone with a connection less than 1500k will struggle on any of the feeds. I'll be putting a disclaimer for this weekend about the required connection speed a download usage.

Incontinent

Crusty Juggler
Don't you just love the way people whinge about the quality of something that is provided
FREE!!!
for fuck sake​

As for the quality of the broadcast, we had no problems.
Bit of a refresh from the site every now and then.
Picture quality was more than 1/2 decent.
Commentary was somewhat hilarious at times.
It wasn't Freecaster's fault that almost all the Aussie riders were out of sync with the broadcast order and weren't shown.
Worked out about every 4th rider got on the coverage.
At least you saw just about the whole run for those that were shown and then they showed all of the top 15.
Audience numbers in europe are probably only something like 2,000 times the potential Australian audience,
so who you expect them to cater for.
One more thing, although timed to perfection during during Gee's race run :-
I'm pretty sure they didn't plan to loose the satellite feed just to piss everyone off.​

Last edited:

scud

Likes Bikes
Hi Guys

It would seem that I'm the black sheep of this thread. However, a quick clarification of this mess, "The full set up was there all the potential to be great but poor execution unfortunately!" What I'm trying to say is that I loved the idea of the live net streams for content that would not make the free to air or pay tv, etc. The set up was more than adequate, I thought the camera placement was fine, tech issues are unavoidable. Switching, thats a continuity decision I guess.

The main problem however i have is the gay jokes (is the gay community unacepted in DH?), the sexist and racial remarks. I read threads regarding sponsorship and how riders are having an increasingly hard time; in particular the women. This type of publicity will undo sponsors investments in the sport. In fact I canot see how it will provide the sport in the public eye any good.

My comment regarding the GP; Yes the GP has more money so of course it will seem bigger and grander. The point is that it runs to a formula as does any good comentary. What riders are on courses; what are the splits; and the final times (thay are on-course so thay should have this info at their fingertips), plus if it is posible some rider backgrounds failing that location backgrounds. This is not to ignore the fact that someone who has participated in the sport can always make a better commentator, and if you look a vast majority of sports commentators are x-compeditors. So yes if thay bring in someone out of mtb it wont be as good, but like anything you can have a good person for the job or a bad one.

I just felt let down by the commentators, sorry "professional riders". Having said that it seems that is what this audiance likes, hence by rule of vote making it appropriate. Guess im simply used to the kind of content governed by broadcasting commissions :rolleyes:.

Yes I complaned, yes its free, but somewhere someone put down some cash or it wouldnt happen. And how many paid to watch free to air tv recently?

Thanks for the info Scott, tis appreciated!

S.

ex offender
I just felt let down by the commentators, sorry "professional riders". Having said that it seems that is what this audiance likes, hence by rule of vote making it appropriate. Guess im simply used to the kind of content governed by broadcasting commissions :rolleyes:.

Yes I complaned, yes its free, but somewhere someone put down some cash or it wouldnt happen. And how many paid to watch free to air tv recently?

Thanks for the info Scott, tis appreciated!
Did you see many ads during your Freecaster feed like free-to-air TV? I didn't. By the way, "free to air" TV is not free everywhere in the world - we are lucky that over here it's fully subsidised by advertising. Places like Germany, for example, you pay about 20-30€ a month for TV. No joke.

Also, I find the commentary great. It's nice to have commentators who not only know their shit but aren't so sanitised by political correctness that they won't point out that some riders are far slower than others, or make silly un-PC jokes. Yeah it could be a little bit more professional, but let's consider exactly what the deal is here - a bunch of people riding bicycles down a big hill as fast as possible. Hardly the most formal occasion in the world. I'd rather listen to certified knobs like Rob Warner than almost anyone else, at least he's amusing even if he offends a few people. Far better him than some boring doesn't-know-shit-about-riding professional IMO.

scud

Likes Bikes
Hi S.

Perhaps not free for some countrys and unless those countrys have free internet then one could argue this live stream isnt free either.

And sure Rob knows his stuff, doesn't mean he can comunicate said knowledge very well (not saying he can't do a good job, he has the potential). And I'll disagree in saying that it is, as such a formal event. Their are a pile of people that make a profesional living out of the sport. These profesionals are spokes people for companys paying there wages (and yes I do realise not every one track side makes a living in racing). With marketing being marketing it should to look good. I don't rock up at a clients place and speak how i please forgetting about political correctness. In fact I don't know any successful profesional that does (with the exception of some tech heads, that don't deal with the public).

Cheers