WSMTB Club - 4 Hour Summer Enduro Series 09'

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
Don't forget to bring a rear red light for your bike as well as your front light/s. It can just be one of those little red one LED flashers.
Broad question - why would you need one of the red LED's?

The obvious answer is for people to see you, but you would hope that the 'front' lights on their bike do that job. I find the red dots give me all sorts of bother with my sight.
I only comment as they are actually 'illegal' in the UK for those reasons.

Of course, I'll have mine on full 'random flash' for the weekend - to encourage epileptic fits amongst my pursuitants. ;)

BT180

Max Pfaff
Broad question - why would you need one of the red LED's?

The obvious answer is for people to see you, but you would hope that the 'front' lights on their bike do that job.
I've wondered that for the same reason. The rear light has been a requirement for all races in the dark (24&12hrs) that I've been at.

gixer7

Likes Dirt
Agreed. I reckon the flash is very distracting - at the very least the tail light should not be flashing - just a constant on (whatever the technical term for that is).

They have helped me in the past when I've been able to see a rider far ahead so I know I'm coming up on them. Also useful I guess when the rider in front has some very dim or fading lights - which I have definitely come across before.

I keep mine to single KNOG LED - just enough to be seen and not enough to cause vision impariment.

onyabike

Likes Bikes
Helmet or Bar Mount

Quick question for the experienced night riders. If you only had the luxury of runing a single light this weekend is it best to mount it on the bars or on the helmet?

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
Helmet every time.
Dont worry either - some of the very fastest racers in the country only run one light - on the helmet.

See you there - woo! Not long now!

gixer7

Likes Dirt
Helmet every time.
Dont worry either - some of the very fastest racers in the country only run one light - on the helmet.

See you there - woo! Not long now!
Here I was thinking the rulz stipulated 2 lights were required - main light and backup light!!

But yes helmet is the way to go if that is all you have. My first ever race was a 24hr and on my 1st night lap my helmet light failed 1km into the lap. Got a little hairy at times!

BT180

Max Pfaff
I'll back up the helmet light option if you only have one. It's better to be able to have the light follow where your eyes/head are looking, rather than have black spots when you have the lights on the bars only and are looking around a corner, but your bar lights are facing straight ahead into the bushes.

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Yellowmundee is fine for helmet only light, but if you were racing somewhere dusty (like Kowen) then on the bars is much better.

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
Agreed. I reckon the flash is very distracting - at the very least the tail light should not be flashing - just a constant on (whatever the technical term for that is).
Is this the rule as such? Please say yes as even though I have one of these flashing lights, they really are a pain in the neck to be following on a single track...

Knopey

Likes Dirt
As a marshall at last year's Mont, we were told riders were to have a solid rear red light. In practice it's pretty impossible to enforce the "solid" bit, but the rule was there technically (or at least, someone told me it was haha).

Onegear

Likes Dirt

Last minute decision so I will enter on the day I dont want to but I think I will even sign up for singlespeed.