WTF have I done? A First Race Journey

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Just did my first 90km - nearly died. Some cheap simple wins:

- Stuff the cardio - if you can climb a hill you'll be fine. It's all in the leg endurance as cardio recovers.
- Get lots of stretching in after training. In the race, if you feel a ping, stop and stretch it. Don't be like me and cramp half way up a steep climb.
- I disagree with you limiting food. Take as much food and shit you can get into your body. This goes for training rides and the actual day as well. Get your body used to high energy foods on low fuel. Don't be like me and get stuck 150km from feed zone, facing a climb and bonked (and cramped). If you're not cutting weight, then you should probably do more miles. Beer cutting is ok, but coke is your friend.
- Core. I think you left it out, for me if my back gives up so do I. If you're got sore back problems, guess what's going to hurt first? Try some deadlifts, back ups, sit ups and whatever other core you can manage.

Good luck. And remember when you hit the pain threshold, no training will prep you, it's up to the brain at that stage.
Coke? Don't they do urine testing for that stuff?

If you want core that is more fun than weights etc, indoor rock climbing.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
^^^^Ok, couple of things

1. Your maths sucks, either that or your sense of direction

2. Giving up beer is not ok

3. Food goes in, shit comes out, that's what eating is all about
Agree, agree, agree. But I maintain distances are open to interpretation if you're delirious!

And yeah coke, e, ice all good. Just don't do dope or you'll get hungry fast.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Come on! This shit has been going on for ages and we still don't have a stool sample to make an accurate analysis of your nutritional needs. Get to it.

Dogs and poo eh ? Nothing changes.

I have it in my mind to complete the full fling sometime, not sure if I should try for the next one.

Longest I have done is the Husky 50, going double is a bit scary.

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dogs and poo eh ? Nothing changes.

I have it in my mind to complete the full fling sometime, not sure if I should try for the next one.

Longest I have done is the Husky 50, going double is a bit scary.
Having done all three sections of the fling - have done the half individually and then the 55km Wingello stage as part of a team, I definetly do not recommend the full fling as a first up 100km race. The Wingello section alone had 1200m of climbing... Look for something at least a little bit flatter would be my tip....

uppo

Likes Bikes
^^ I did that hot year, was 42 deg at one of the SES stations at the top of a climb - I think the guys was enjoying telling everyone !

Although shorter and more 'fun' track in theory. I found the new course more exhausting than the old one ....
Yep, I did that year too. but only the half. On very little riding in the 6-8 months before.
36 degrees in August???? couldn't believe it.
The 50 started with a fairly steep climb which had most people walking. And while we were all slowly pushing our bikes up, Chris Jongeward rode past us like it was flat.

Minlak

custom titis
Ok So recent news:-

I did 30KM yesterday with 560m elevation and 3hrs 10 mins moving time that's an average moving speed just under 10kms/hr. And I was completely exhausted at the end of it.

I have been speaking to a lot of people that ride a long way and taking in advice from these forums and changed ideas on training.
First Month:-
Monday / Wednesday / Friday will be HIIT training in the Gym
Tuesday / Thursday 1hr ish ride on the road bike.
Saturday will be gentle ride for 3 - 4Hrs
Sunday will be 3 - 4hrs with elevation

I am going to probably go back to 2 x 10 set up as well with a 32t / 26t.

I am looking for suggestions on tires for the day too. I am thinking a Maxxis Ardent Race Rear with an Ikon front?

Calvin27

Eats Squid

I did 30KM yesterday with 560m elevation and 3hrs 10 mins moving time that's an average moving speed just under 10kms/hr. And I was completely exhausted at the end of it.
Wow, you have a lot of training to do!

On the flipside, it looks like you are firmly committed with a decent plan so very achievable in 3 months. Good luck mate, and keep the updates coming.

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I have been speaking to a lot of people that ride a long way and taking in advice from these forums and changed ideas on training.

I am looking for suggestions on tires for the day too. I am thinking a Maxxis Ardent Race Rear with an Ikon front?
I'd switch your tyre combo the other way. Ardent race up front and Ikon rear. FWIW I'm a fat fuck XC'er (think 105kg) and I run ardent race front and rear..... Good luck with your training btw I would be making sure you rest at some points, your body will need the recovery.... I try and ride a 50-60km race every 3 months and basically just do the riding part of your plan, I find I can do it (50km no issues - takes about 3.15- 3.45 hours depending on elevation gain etc), so after 3 months you will be fine. Don't expect to be fast but with that training under your belt you wont finish last either...... I would even consider a 24 tooth little ring, particularly if you are only going a 32 big one, I run 36/24 currently....

pharmaboy

Eats Squid

Can I argue?

If Monday Tuesday Wednesday is because you can't possibly get any riding in, I get that - but that amount of intervals is the sort of thing roadies do because they don't do interval work when on the bike - mtbers otoh do intervals all the time - they are called hills.

Seriously. Get some lights and stick a decent intensity 2 hr plus ride mid week in - a Tuesday, we'd or Thursday will do as long as you have follow it up with a big ride.

How you respond to training is an individual thing, but there's plenty of big gains to be made in just a month or 2 of increased training hours. Being absolutely stuffed is good .

Klips

Likes Dirt
I agree with the above, ardent race front ikon rear. Cop the weight penalty and go exo tr casing, and whichever one comes in 3c do that (only one does, I think it's the ardent race but can't remember). Had that combo for capital punishment 50km and it was stellar.

Mafra

Likes Bikes
Hey Minlak - been looking at and thinking about your training plan for a couple of days now.

My biggest concern would be the lack of recovery days in your schedule and also you haven't talked about recovery weeks.

Most (not all) theories on physical and neuro-physical adaptation talk about exercise tearing down the muscles and then gains being made in the recovery/rebuilding phases.
Recovery/rest days/weeks don't mean a total rest but do mean a drop in volume compared to your normal weeks without dropping the intensity of each session.

A lot of the training plans I've looked and some that I've used have worked on a 3 week cycle with a big first week, bigger second week, then a recovery week.

Having said all that, it also has to fit into the rest of your life.

Good luck!

Minlak

custom titis
Time for a bit of an update:-

I am regularly riding 40km's on the trails now in a session takes me just on 3 hrs normally. The elevation isn't as high as I would like and there are other options for more elevation at this stage I am just pushing actual time in the saddle.

I decided instead of going to the Epic as a complete virgin I am going to race round 2 of the wide bay series tomorrow. It is a 3hr ride with as many laps as you can do in the 3hrs. Will be around 40 to 50 people on a 9km course so should give me a bit of an idea. Its only a local race thing so it's kind of like just putting the tip in or only doing it in the butt its not really taking my virginity.

Road 25kms in 2hrs today and felt like shit might have a flu coming in so if I don't die tomorrow I will report results.

I have gone back to spd's instead of flats as well so getting used to that again.

I am about to buy a trainer to get more k's in during the week. I am going to give this a bit of a go http://www.zwift.com/index seems like a bit of fun. I will hook it up to the 60" plasma and smash out some k's most nights.
Going to pair it up with this. I know its not the same as trail riding but I have had a few close calls in the last couple of weeks on the road and it isn't practical for me to get to the trails during the week.

Qubo.JPG

ninjananna

Likes Dirt
I am going to give this a bit of a go http://www.zwift.com/index seems like a bit of fun. I will hook it up to the 60" plasma and smash out some k's most nights.
Going to pair it up with this. I know its not the same as trail riding but I have had a few close calls in the last couple of weeks on the road and it isn't practical for me to get to the trails during the week.
That looks cool !!!

Minlak

custom titis
So cough "Raced" on Sunday for my first ever race. By raced I mean trundled around for 2 measly laps in 3 hrs of a 10Km Circuit with 150m of elevation per lap. I went for a ride Saturday that I normally have no trouble with and was stuffed and on Sunday I didn't feel like riding at all but went out anyway. I am now burdened with a flu or cold or virus or some such so whilst it doesn't excuse the poor showing it somewhat answers why. It was ok most of the other riders were friendly and I was only run off the track by the 2 leaders who were neck and neck for most of the race.

Race Day.JPG

On the trainer front I have just ordered a TACX T2180 it is actually a "Smart Trainer" and will fully integrate into the Zwift program and allow the program to control when there is supposed to be a hill etc. It can replicate up to a 7% climb. I couldn't justify the Bushido (another $300) for 15% climbs. Going to build myself a new gaming computer today to run it on and build myself a little simulator with TV screens.

tacx 2180.JPG

Minlak

custom titis
Ok race is one week away time for a final synopsis before the fateful day
*Training:- Horrible not even close to plan. I have been battling a stuffed hamstring a sore back / stuffed Achilles tendon. Had an off today and have done some damage to my leg and calf muscles. Also pretty stiff in one forearm and the chest.
*Bike:- Going with 1 x 11 set up. 28t Front and 11-42 rear. I have recently changed my rear brake pads to sintered pads and I don't think they work as well as the Hope original. I have left it too late to get pads by the race day and lets face it I wont be at the pointy end. Going to run Ardent Race rear / Ardent front and have just replaced all bearings / bottom bracket / drive train.
Nutrition:- Is sorted going to be using Hammer Perpetuem / gels / bars during the race.

I am optimistic still about finishing even though I feel 100% under trained and didn't lose anywhere near as much weight as I would have liked.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Just make sure you have someone to shovel you into a bucket and take you home, post race.