XT M8000 Brakes 'pumping up' on descents

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Yep, that's right, they shipped them same day they received them! Turn around less than 48 hours from sending them in.
Big kudo's to Shimano when credit is due. I am still mentally scarred from RapidRise and didn't really mind Biopace even it if did nothing in the end. Stories like this make me want to go and fondle my XTR M952 groupset.

I can't believe that I actually like Shimano again for no real good reason, something is up :heh:

bmar560

Likes Dirt
Is the XTR M9020 worth the extra $$ over the XT ?
How do I know if I'll be getting the 2nd revision of this product ?

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Is the XTR M9020 worth the extra $$ over the XT ?
How do I know if I'll be getting the 2nd revision of this product ?
Others may disagree, but my experience with Shimano brakes is no performance difference between SLX, XT and XTR models of the same generation (I guess the XTR race would be different cos it doesn't use the servo wave, can't comment on those though). I also find Deore to be almost as good as the above.

Maybe contact shimano about the 2nd question. Or just take the risk and be prepared to send them off for warranty.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Others may disagree, but my experience with Shimano brakes is no performance difference between SLX, XT and XTR models of the same generation (I guess the XTR race would be different cos it doesn't use the servo wave, can't comment on those though). I also find Deore to be almost as good as the above.
This is quite correct, especially with XT & SLX, as both the previous M785/666/675 and current M8000 Update & M7000 use exactly the same parts for the two models (but different for each generation). XTR and Deore use different parts but the same basic design, differing in materials (except XTR Race, which as noted are different levers, which cuts the grunt slightly).

I don't know exactly what changed, but my understanding is that the issues were resolved with M7000 SLX, and introduced as a rolling update to both M8000 and M9000-series brakes.

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
How old were the M8000's giving the grief? I have a new set on my hardtail that have never really copped a hammering so cannot say if they have the underlying problem, but I also have a 2016 bike on layby with full M8000 groupset and it will be ridden much harder than the XC hardtail. I guess the "new" bike has older brakes given I bought the M8000's only in the last couple of months.

Also going to end up in the weird situation of having a surplus set of M8000 brakes when the hardtail gets retired to shop bike (have old XT's to go back on it). Maybe my 8 year old daughters MTB needs M8000's. My wifes M7000 brake M8000 gear combo has some weird mount thing that my levers don't have (her M7000's have been fine) otherwise I would swap her to full M8000 groupset.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I have two sets of XTR M9000 race brakes. One set has white pistons and the other has black pistons. Not had any pump-up issues with either, but maybe the running change was a change to the piston material?

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I have two sets of XTR M9000 race brakes. One set has white pistons and the other has black pistons. Not had any pump-up issues with either, but maybe the running change was a change to the piston material?
Looks like the guys above had their levers replaced, but I have heard of the different calipers....

Delazy

Got a new bike!
like most my m8000 brakes have the pumping up issue...have been dealing with it until the weekend when the front lever decided to start clicking...

upon inspection i found this small piece of plastic has seemingly broken free from inside the lever somewhere and become lodged around the linkage pin...

14914966_10155363255008222_658172228_n (1).jpg

the levers are absolutely spotless and obviously being a front havent been used aggressively...so kind of frustrating...

trying to sort out warranty with evan cycles currently...most likely pushing to change to something else...

Hope tech 3 E4?
Shimano Saint M820?
Guides?

trail type riding @ 100kg rider weight...suggestions? opinions?

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
like most my m8000 brakes have the pumping up issue...have been dealing with it until the weekend when the front lever decided to start clicking...

upon inspection i found this small piece of plastic has seemingly broken free from inside the lever somewhere and become lodged around the linkage pin...

View attachment 333249

the levers are absolutely spotless and obviously being a front havent been used aggressively...so kind of frustrating...

trying to sort out warranty with evan cycles currently...most likely pushing to change to something else...

Hope tech 3 E4?
Shimano Saint M820?
Guides?

Hope E4 for the win... you will not be disappointed.

mooboyj

Likes Dirt

View attachment 333249

Hope tech 3 E4?
Shimano Saint M820?
Guides?

Hahahaha, it'll be Hope. I'm actually suprised you haven't done this sooner. FYI, I own a sexy RA60 with a 1JZ ;)

dunndog

Eats Squid
Half a gravedigger here.. but for anyone interested or in a similar situation, I did 3 days shuttling some long descending k's over Ignition weekend at Falls creek and Bright, and not a hint of pumping up, or fade, or anything negative with the new levers at all. Problem solved (touch wood).

stirk

Burner
]

This comment made me think about how much more I actually use my front brake when really braking hard, while mostly upright of course.

I'd guess that the rear gets more use overall given trails are full of loose corners where too much front would see you wash out the front but when really hard braking into a corner from a fast downhill section the front brake is the one I use aggressively. Also given the weight bias the front gets a much harder squeeze than the rear ever does.

Good thing I'm right handed ;)

Delazy

Got a new bike!
This comment made me think about how much more I actually use my front brake when really braking hard, while mostly upright of course.

I'd guess that the rear gets more use overall given trails are full of loose corners where too much front would see you wash out the front but when really hard braking into a corner from a fast downhill section the front brake is the one I use aggressively. Also given the weight bias the front gets a much harder squeeze than the rear ever does.

Good thing I'm right handed ;)
im far from an amazing rider...that and i am blessed with living in tassie...so the majority of my riding is done on derby and north south...both relatively flowy trails

stirk

Burner
im far from an amazing rider...that and i am blessed with living in tassie...so the majority of my riding is done on derby and north south...both relatively flowy trails
Haha, not calling you out on it, I'm far from being even a good rider!

I ride big hills and fast runs into tight corners and the front brake gets all the abuse. Slower flow trail unless I need to bail up fast the rear is used a bit more.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Over 75% of your braking comes from the front... but 28.2% of statistics are made up on the spot.