XT M8000 Brakes 'pumping up' on descents

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
http://www.hibike.com/shimano-slx-m...and-adapter-pa904613647a3f3c025ea3c6a87e975dc

Just bought some of these, saying that the front is out of stock, but only took a few days to come in. Or if you want metal pads, they're listed as in stock, around $176 for the pair delivered..... http://www.hibike.com/shimano-slx-t...retail-pack-pa7c30a2e7017a829c4fafcf955e78b8b

All these are in stock if you want rotors and adaptors.... http://www.hibike.com/shimano-slx-t...c-metal-pad-p287427f3f4f8363a7be046999dc61a2e
180/160 with adaptors and rotors for about $250....

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
I paid $170 for the pair delivered from CRC with metal ice-tech pads.

Edit: These are SLX though. Couldn't find a matching XT set, I'm a slut and wanted the bling even though functionally there's no difference between the two.

Last edited:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
If you look hard enough you can probably find replacement caps, because that's the biggest difference between the two models.... They're not just functionally identical, they are actually the same parts with tiny detail differences.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bargain!

Although I think they might be OEM pull-offs. Looking at the photo looks like non-finned pads. Also doesn't specify which side. Also no olives and connectors included. Still a good price.
They come with non finned pads but that's both front and rear brakes set up for right/front left/rear.

wkkie

Has anyone tried the new SLX M7000 brakes? Given they've been released after the M8000 some of the original issues may have been sorted?

dunndog

Eats Squid
Suffered the same issue for the first time today. Had about 10 rides on mine with no issues, thought I might have dodged the bullet. Alas, I was wrong.
First shuttle day on the new rig and after about 5 runs at Maldon the pumping up issue appeared on the rear lever. Happened pretty consistently for the rest of the day. At one point the lever also pulled back to the bar without any braking force at all. Had to run off the back of a berm and basically hit a tree to stop.. as said by others, not exactly confidence inspiring. And here I was just yesterday on a thread here somewhere saying 'oh yeah, mine have no issues, I'm awesome'.
so it seems the only fix to this is a recent replacement under warranty, what fixes have people had? Northvanguy, are yours still behaving?
Why would they wait for so long before starting to misbehave?

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Suffered the same issue for the first time today. Had about 10 rides on mine with no issues, thought I might have dodged the bullet. Alas, I was wrong.
First shuttle day on the new rig and after about 5 runs at Maldon the pumping up issue appeared on the rear lever. Happened pretty consistently for the rest of the day. At one point the lever also pulled back to the bar without any braking force at all. Had to run off the back of a berm and basically hit a tree to stop.. as said by others, not exactly confidence inspiring. And here I was just yesterday on a thread here somewhere saying 'oh yeah, mine have no issues, I'm awesome'.
so it seems the only fix to this is a recent replacement under warranty, what fixes have people had? Northvanguy, are yours still behaving?
Why would they wait for so long before starting to misbehave?
That's odd, mine were shite right from the get go. I had the levers replaced under warranty but returned to previous gen shimano brakes anyway. Now a happy chappy.

moorey

call me Mia
Barjarg weather was sublime. Mine and my mates m8000's works sublimely all day on sublime tracks.
Dunndog, Nautonier says your a flog. His words, not mine.

dunndog

Eats Squid
Bit of a development here.. I e mailed Shimano Australia yesterday morning with a brief description of what was going on. They called me today and straight off the bat said yep, it's the lever, send it back and we'll send you a replacement straight away. No questions. He then explained that yes, it's a known problem to do with the master cylinder that affected some but not all levers, and has since had a design upgrade to address the issue.
I won't go dancing a jig just yet, I'll leave that for when the new brake shows up and works flawlessly.
However, that there is some stellar customer service. Kudos Shimano.

wkkie

Bit of a development here.. I e mailed Shimano Australia yesterday morning with a brief description of what was going on. They called me today and straight off the bat said yep, it's the lever, send it back and we'll send you a replacement straight away. No questions. He then explained that yes, it's a known problem to do with the master cylinder that affected some but not all levers, and has since had a design upgrade to address the issue.
I won't go dancing a jig just yet, I'll leave that for when the new brake shows up and works flawlessly.
However, that there is some stellar customer service. Kudos Shimano.
Good work. Where did you purchase them from originally? Online or local?

dunndog

Eats Squid
Sent my levers in last monday, and received warranty replacements Thursday. Been away on a little holiday so only got them in hand today, so will fit them up and see how they go. Shimano Aus have been second to none to deal with over this, no bs, fast turn around and assurances the lever has been re designed to fix the issue. I wonder what happened between now and when they told you Northvanguy that there was no problem and denied it?
Anyway, so far so good.
How has anyone else who's had a warranty replacement bee fairing so far? Problems seem to have gone away or more of the same?

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Bloody excellent service from Shimano. Called on Tuesday, sent my faulty levers in Wednesday via Express Post, received replacements a moment ago across my desk at work.

Yep, that's right, they shipped them same day they received them! Turn around less than 48 hours from sending them in.

Won't get a chance to install and bleed until next week, but I'm gathering they'll be fine if they've replaced my old ones so quickly.

Interesting fact is that there is no Lot/Batch code sticker on the underside of these new ones. Can't actually remember what my old ones were, but maybe NE?

I'll update once I've got the chance to get them on the bike next week.