Yarra Trails regulars

Rob_74

Likes Dirt
Ah, I got you JD. Thanks. I had a look on Google maps after your post, was trying to make my ride home from the city along the Yarra more interesting, if I do that bike path one more time I'm going to go postal. Was pondering starting on the ST here through to Gipps St bridge and then do this bit here which should hook me up to the rest.

Anyone done these? OK to ride?

And you're not a moron JD. Trail advocate, passionate rider, social coordinator of Yarra trails and champion for strange men walking around Heidleberg, but not a moron.
if i recall that first section at least used to be signed no bikes.

As Gead said it has quiet a few stairs which are a lot easier riding down away from the city.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ah, I got you JD. Thanks. I had a look on Google maps after your post, was trying to make my ride home from the city along the Yarra more interesting, if I do that bike path one more time I'm going to go postal. Was pondering starting on the ST here through to Gipps St bridge and then do this bit here which should hook me up to the rest.

And you're not a moron JD. Trail advocate, passionate rider, social coordinator of Yarra trails and champion for strange men walking around Heidleberg, but not a moron.
been along that on my cx when I've got bored of the boulie - had to walk the steps, a good mtb can ride down that - there's a fine line, cx risks pinch flats, after that it's nice flow ST which exits at park with playground, then the section opposite children's farm, a bit experts only normally 2 walk sections, one part could be ridden but if you stuff it up it's a nice drop into the drink. these are all rideable but a bit slow going. then again always better than the grind of the road.

Big JD

Wheel size expert

Yes mate- Start off Gipps street bridge- ride through the park and through the gate (opposite Abbossford Convent). The trail in this section is quite narrow and technical with some stairs. From the stairs it opens up and is good. It ends at the bridge (to Kew and Richmond) and you either go under and up the stairs and do the trails around the monument or climb sharp right just before the bridge and do the trails above the Boulevard and Boat House. There is a short road section either way you go before you either drop down to the river via some stairs or climb up to the lookout well above the bat colony - I really like the short downhill back to the road. Then drop down onto the main ST and follow it all the way through to the pipe bridge and beyond. There are a few mystery trails above the boathouse and the pipe bridge, you cant get lost. I like the jumpy/drop in section at the newly built dam/weir- not far from the Monument.

OCDr is right - one day I will embrace new technology and thankyou for your kind words Coaster- you have firmly moved up my list of favoured Yarra Regulars - its a short list. I will pass on your details to the strange men to allow full passage for you and your companions

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rode the parts I was asking about last night on the way home. Not a bad ride at all, a bit fumbly at times but that's more a reflection of my skills and that the first ride was a night with a bag knocking around on my back.

I did notice that unlike around pipe bridge there are 'no bike' signs, so will be pretty choosy of when I ride it. Do you see many people walking it?

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I see occasional walkers on the southern end of the gipps st park & rarely ever seen anyone on the northern, 1 or 2 joggers in years maybe. As usual a little courtesy goes a long way.

The only grief I've had recently is on the river ST from pipe bridge. I take it real easy down there as we dont need those kew housewives gettin fired up, i reckon.

Neither of these bits of ST around gipps st park is anywhere near as busy as river ST, you should be right.

Big AC

Likes Dirt
Rode Bourke Rd to Studley Park (monument climb area) and the trails are fine with the exception of the part in Bourke Rd billabong just after the log over / log pile which is still a bit wet (if you enter the ST near the bend in the bike path and head towards the city then it is fine in there - one puddle).

Thanks to whomever did the puddle draining on the freeway embankment section.

To whomever is making the flow / pump track in the monument climb area, carry on. I'll be interested to see what you do with it as there isn't a lot of elevation to use in that area; however, the start looks promising.

bardles

Likes Dirt
Forgot to say, went out on thursday - single track from after odyssey house to Hans was fine. Hans was fine, except an avoidable bit near the dam.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
did a long ride up to Hans loop yesterday from fairfield, gone are the days when you can crack a descent time on the loop (loops?) as there's now so many different tracks all over the place, not complaining of course, can't believe how eroded/rutted the straight rocky downhill has become - looks like motos have been going up it.

can't beat tucking into those 5? switchbacks how cool are they ... then punching out on a bit of a death run downhill through to dam, always a great ride up there!

Big JD

Wheel size expert
thanks for nothing

on the weekend i rode nothing because I was moving house on my own with no help from any of you f*ckers.

I did change my handle bars from my carbon thomson to my ti thomson which was the closest i have came to my new bike in weeks. I also discovered that when i built the bike I left off a cog from the cassette so was running 9 speeds with 10 speed shifter and mech- just couldnt see why it wasnt shifting well.

hope you all had a great weekend

gnarly_rider

Likes Dirt
did a long ride up to Hans loop yesterday from fairfield, gone are the days when you can crack a descent time on the loop (loops?) as there's now so many different tracks all over the place, not complaining of course, can't believe how eroded/rutted the straight rocky downhill has become - looks like motos have been going up it.
Gotta admit you did inspire me, when ( I think?) you showed me around Hans many months ago... So I did the same (Pipe Bridge to Hans) ride on Saturday in those quite surreal foggy conditions on the new 29er. 65km door to door, a good solid work out...

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Gotta admit you did inspire me, when ( I think?) you showed me around Hans many months ago... So I did the same (Pipe Bridge to Hans) ride on Saturday in those quite surreal foggy conditions on the new 29er. 65km door to door, a good solid work out...
i was moving house on Saturday but I remember that ride quite fondly

Big AC

Likes Dirt
on the weekend i rode nothing because I was moving house on my own with no help from any of you f*ckers.
Why didn’t you rally the Banksia St crew to help out? What, they can’t shift furniture in leather chaps?

I rode through the Banksia St area on Sunday and it was out of control. The first half nice day in a while had them all out and about, weird guys walking around everywhere.

Some guy had even parked his pink Nissan Micra on the grass near the ramp which leads up to Bankisa St and was walking around with a tambourine. It was definitely a sign that it was time to ride home.

Last edited:

OCD'R

Likes Dirt
I rode through the Banksia St area on Sunday and it was out of control. The first half nice day in a while had them all out and about, weird guys walking around everywhere.

Some guy had even parked his pink Nissan Micra on the grass near the ramp which leads up to Bankisa St and was walking around with a tambourine. It was definitely a sign to ride home.
You just can't make this stuff up!

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Why didn’t you rally the Banksia St crew to help out? What, they can’t shift furniture in leather chaps?

Some guy had even parked his pink Nissan Micra on the grass near the ramp which leads up to Bankisa St and was walking around with a tambourine. It was definitely a sign that it was time to ride home.
no the weekends are special time for my boys - Saturdays are leather wanderers wonderland and Sundays are musical theatre (hence the tambourine).

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
How does the fuel ex 29 er go along the yt's. I know it wouldn't be challenged in the travel dept/technical stuff but how efficient is it along the flats