Yarra Trails regulars

al_

Likes Dirt
My sister used to work for DHS and tells stories of a level of incompetence which would blow your minds, it is even worse than you think that it is. One guy who works there in the facility management area is so useless that no matter what the problem is with a house / facility he’ll just order a new toilet (I swear this is true).
Unfortunately I know exactly how bad it is and bash my head against this department every day. I made a fairly subtle dig in a statement late last year, and found they are surprisingly efficient when it comes to blaming other people for their incompetence and apathy towards the people they serve.

They were bad enough before 500 jobs were cut, but now there are empty floors with flickering lights and ringing phones, and nobody knows what is supposed to be going on. They are extremely risk averse though, so episodes like this will cause problems - particularly as everybody knew it was a danger. That awareness of pre-existing issues exposes a few people and I suspect will be making them very uncomfortable today.

I bet somebody in charge at the facility will be made a scapegoat, despite being forced to achieve the impossible with no money. It is a terrible situation though with no good scenarios, like much of the work in the community sector. I'm sure some of the facts were misrepresented in the Hun article, but it sounds like unacceptable risks with public safety have been happening, and were widely understood.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Unfortunately I know exactly how bad it is and bash my head against this department every day. I made a fairly subtle dig in a statement late last year, and found they are surprisingly efficient when it comes to blaming other people for their incompetence and apathy towards the people they serve.

They were bad enough before 500 jobs were cut, but now there are empty floors with flickering lights and ringing phones, and nobody knows what is supposed to be going on. They are extremely risk averse though, so episodes like this will cause problems - particularly as everybody knew it was a danger. That awareness of pre-existing issues exposes a few people and I suspect will be making them very uncomfortable today.

I bet somebody in charge at the facility will be made a scapegoat, despite being forced to achieve the impossible with no money. It is a terrible situation though with no good scenarios, like much of the work in the community sector. I'm sure some of the facts were misrepresented in the Hun article, but it sounds like unacceptable risks with public safety have been happening, and were widely understood.
No money? They have $6.3M to treat 12 men. That seems like a pretty good $ to patient ratio to me.

al_

Likes Dirt
No money? They have $6.3M to treat 12 men. That seems like a pretty good $ to patient ratio to me.
This isn't my particular area, but the numbers involved do look small.

It is a particularly poor investment when the program isn't working and the wards continue to escape and reoffend!

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
This is what the spiel for the centre is....

THOMAS EMBLING HOSPITAL

Thomas Embling Hospital is a 116-bed secure forensic mental health hospital, situated in Fairfield, an inner Melbourne suburb. Opened in 2000, the hospital was purpose designed and built to provide advanced clinical treatment and programs. Most patients are from the criminal justice system, either transferred from the prison system or ordered by the courts to be detained for psychiatric assessment and/or care and treatment. (I highlighted the key word, theirs not mine).

Day release whether supervised or not should not be allowed, but instead there are inmates walking out on their own, going out supervised and then going missing to do who knows what?

Mental illness is a serious issue but if you have done the crime do the f***ing time! Excursions and release from this place just doesn't work. Shut the gate FFS before anymore innocent people have to wear the outcome of the mistakes from such places.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
ride this afternoon

hey back on topic- I am free to ride this afternoon- anyone want to ride with me. If I have a car I will ride Plenty Gorge- if not it will be the Yarra from Ivanhoe North. Probably aim to leave around 2pm. Now I'll be riding Plenty Gorge around 4:15

Last edited:

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
I rode today from abbotsford to hans and back. All in top nic. Some parts of hans are dusty and a but slippery but otherwise good.

I think I saw George 2 days ago at hans with his titanium front suspension fat bike. Looked awesome

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Last night, Rode YTs from abbotsford to the paddock and back. Very dry and very fast. No puddles at all :-D Good fun.

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
Mate rode out to Hans Wednesday and in the loop prior to getting into Hans proper to do it anti-clockwise he ran over the back of a Brown, then later had a Tiger to the side out the back end, and he said it wasn't even warm yet.

But he said the tracks were dry and fast.

Big AC

Likes Dirt
Anyone heading out on the YTs tomorrow (Sat) morning? Thinking of a ride out to Hans and beyond.

I'll probably be hitting the trails a bit after 10am if anyone wants to come along.

Rob_74

Likes Dirt
Anyone heading out on the YTs tomorrow (Sat) morning? Thinking of a ride out to Hans and beyond.

I'll probably be hitting the trails a bit after 10am if anyone wants to come along.
have fun but i got family stuff to do tomorrow.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid

Where you starting from? I just stripped down the Anthem but still have the hard tail to ride.

Big AC

Likes Dirt
Sorry but I think I'll take the roadie out........ again.
No probs.

Hans is dry and fast. The line down off the leaky dam wall has been cleaned up, someone here mentioned they were going to do it so thanks if it was you.

The flats stuff back into Banksia St is also dry and very fast.

clintbtt

Likes Bikes
No probs.

Hans is dry and fast. The line down off the leaky dam wall has been cleaned up, someone here mentioned they were going to do it so thanks if it was you.

The flats stuff back into Banksia St is also dry and very fast.
I couldn't get the ag pipe buried well enough because I ran out of time.
Going to head out tomorrow morning to give it some more attention.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk