Yarra Trails regulars

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
who's up for this on Sunday morning from Warburton 8:30 a mini epic with a good chance of snow. (bigjd, big whoever, others?)

57k, 1200 metres climbing.

ride on strava

pace will be easy, will be snow and wet, so bring appropriate clothing. it's a beautiful place to ride.

shakes

Likes Dirt
Have done that ride a couple of times. Flu wipes me out. Is awesome, pack dry spare gloves for the descent!

slowmick

38-39"
wow mtb101 - that's a serious ride. maybe just a little crazy in July though. be great to see some happy snaps from Sunday.

I'll be taking the family to Christmas in July in Sunbury while you brave the elements.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
round 2 chasing snow up mt donna, well while the single track is a bit muddy - we have some epic riding only 1.5 hour from melbourne ... the mtb can go there, I rode over most of the snow as long as it was untouched I could ride on it, as soon as the tyre dropped into other tracks I was wheel spinning. fantastic fun. temperature hit 0.7, no rain, just a light cloud cover.

starting to look hopeful for snow around 700-800 metres elevation.
IMG_0684resize.jpg

snow.
IMG_0700resize.jpg

IMG_0699resize.jpg
look no bike stand.
IMG_0692resize.jpg

IMG_0694resize.jpg
the summit, we made it, lots of kids on toboggans to dodge on final climb to summit. all we had left was a 20k descent on road.
IMG_0714resizesummit.jpg

slowmick

38-39"
wow - awesome ride 101. you don't seem to be earing too many layers given the amount of snow around. how was the trip downhill in the snow?

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
wow - awesome ride 101. you don't seem to be earing too many layers given the amount of snow around. how was the trip downhill in the snow?
had 2 lycra tops and a vest, plus leggins etc, - I rode with normal gloves until the snow then put on the chunky ones, also put covers over shoes, the 2 areas I suffered last time were hands and feet, if you can keep your feet dry that's a win and hands, spare pair of gloves, ... bingo.

wasn't too cold as long as you didn't stop for too long. descent down was on main mt donna road - bitumen, there was a long line of cars waiting to access summit for tobogganing, I just sat on the tail of cars descending, got up to 80ks at one stage, was thinking about my tubeless conversion at that point.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
had 2 lycra tops and a vest, plus leggins etc, - I rode with normal gloves until the snow then put on the chunky ones, also put covers over shoes, the 2 areas I suffered last time were hands and feet, if you can keep your feet dry that's a win and hands, spare pair of gloves, ... bingo.

wasn't too cold as long as you didn't stop for too long. descent down was on main mt donna road - bitumen, there was a long line of cars waiting to access summit for tobogganing, I just sat on the tail of cars descending, got up to 80ks at one stage, was thinking about my tubeless conversion at that point.
Looks great but I think you're a crazy bas**rd!

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
...I just sat on the tail of cars descending, got up to 80ks at one stage, was thinking about my tubeless conversion at that point.
Looks like an awesome ride. I have the same feelings about high speed on tubeless. I looked it up recently and saw that there's no real valid reason to doubt it at speed, but the recent flats I've had have been quick to flat compared to fairly slow with a tube. On the three decent punctures I've had stans didn't plug the hole and the tyre was flat in 3-4 revs. For that reason a front blowout still scares me so I stick with heavier reinforced casings both ends. Should probably go back to tubes as well.

rsclio

Likes Dirt
the recent flats I've had have been quick to flat compared to fairly slow with a tube. On the three decent punctures I've had stans didn't plug the hole and the tyre was flat in 3-4 revs.
Hmm is that because the stans will stop any smaller holes from flatting and hence the only flats you get are large/fast ones?

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hmm is that because the stans will stop any smaller holes from flatting and hence the only flats you get are large/fast ones?
most tubeless conversions are using a standard rim so the bead lets go and believe me it happens very quickly, I use stans rims (haven't had one of them go) so to a point the tyre bead fits snuggly into the rim inner bead, on the road with higher sideway forces I've had 2 beads let go only at low speed usually from a sharp turn, I trust them on the dirt, just not on the road.

other thing is we're use tyres for tubeless conversions that are designed for tubes, so the sidewalls are not as robust.

Last edited:

Big Tim

Likes Dirt
That looks like a great ride. Very jealous. I was laying bricks in rosebud. Maybe next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk