Zelvy Relaunched (ZLV)

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I started to get nervous when I noticed three of Greg’s business’ seemed to be closed down or VERY hard to contact - including Zelvy which was rebranding. It all started to feel a bit like a ponzi scheme of sorts so I got out and got my money back. I get that business is hard and I doff my hat to anyone who jumps in and takes on the massive risk so I don’t mean to shit on the bloke just for sport. I hope this goes well for anyone that invests in a set. I just wont be going there myself.

I will say that it seems at the very least he Is serious about improving quality and obviously didnt go ahead with propriety hubs that weren’t up to the task and instead went for tried and true DT.
If you take the video on how to set up a fake wheel company as an example, then every man, woman, intersex alien being and their companion animal is using DT swiss, so that "their";) wheels scream 'quality', or at least 'not piles of utter shit' . Water transfers FTW!!!

Anyone who sees that people have been badly burnt by soulless shitstains in business for the express purpose of relieving people of their money without necessarily providing ,in return, a proper quality product with decent after sales service - and STILL buys from those fuckheads - well....
I have zero sympathy.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Why wouldnt you just grab some hunt wheels at this price?
Or build your own / buy the parts and get them built. AUD$2100 for 1800+g wheels with 28 straight pull spokes and DT350 hubs doesn't seem like value for money. Even off-the-shelf there seems to be much better deals available. For example, these ACROS wheels are hand built in Germany using German made hubs and bearings - https://www.bike24.com/p2376962.html?menu=1000,2,140 and should be well under AUD$2000 landed incl. GST and shipping.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Why wouldnt you just grab some hunt wheels at this price?
for a start, have a quick look at the hunt logo and then the ZLV logo. The font is fairly similar. just fucking lazy, they aren't even trying.
it's almost as if both of them watched the video and used it as a template.

from the Hunt website:

"Shipments are often fully pre-sold before they arrive so please pre-order to avoid missing out on your HUNT wheelset."

They get you to pre-order so they have the cash to actually order them from farsport
(or whoever else in China manufactures and wholesales the wheels)

Built for serious durability | We've invested in high spec 6066 & 6069 rim alloys 34-69% higher Ultimate Tensile Strength than 6061-T6, welded joints, triple butted spokes and seriously fast 3 degree engagement hubs
Open the gap in the corners | Enhanced grip; wide 25-33 mm internal rim widths for broad trail contact, less tire roll and incredible grip.
Designed with purpose | We don't spec down to a price point, as lifer MTBers ourselves we just create the best wheels for each type of riding
Tubeless-ready | Lower pressures and great puncture protection.

^^^^ They could be describing Hope wheels (apart from the marketing wank re pricing), or pretty much any half reasonable wheelset. and who uses triple butted spokes? not many riders, I would suggest.

Also, what hubs are they using? I looked at a cheaper alloy hunt wheelset and a carbon rib $2K wheelset and they both seem to be using the same generic hubs etched with the Hunt logo.
oh, but they have CeramicSpeed bearings!!! Woooooo!!! Works "excellently" with their non-brand cheapshit hubs

This kind of Bullshit Snake Oil is described on the how to make fake wheel company video.

Last edited:

gillyske

Likes Dirt
This kind of Bullshit is described on the how to make fake wheel company video.
I mean from the standpoint that Hunt has quite a good reputation and actually has very good customer service.
Theres a guy on this forum who purchased some wheels and had a decent experience with them.
If you're going to go for a cheap set of pre-built wheels that are meant to punch above their weight then I don't see why hunt would be a bad choice.

In terms of the hubs pretty sure they use the high engagement novatechs (I own a set and like them) which you're starting to see pop up on a few pre-built wheels (that will charge you $100's more), the new spank 350's use them for instance.

Last edited:

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
You can buy DT Swiss builds from Wheelworks, $1080 for alloy, $2070 for carbon.

Mine have been faultless.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I recall him saying how crap hope hubs were and how much better the one's he was putting out on the market exceeded them. The way he spoke to customers was amusing and horrifying at the same time, I know some people can be a thorn in the backside but as a business owner you just can't afford to do it.
He should have stuck with the idea of being a Carbon Fibre Coathanger company.

"What are you trying to say? That I can just dodge customer inquiries?"

"No Greg, we're saying that when the time comes...you won't have to!"

Reactions: Zaf

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I mean from the standpoint that Hunt has quite a good reputation and actually has very good customer service.
Theres a guy on this forum who purchased some wheels and had a decent experience with them.
If you're going to go for a cheap set of pre-built wheels that are meant to punch above their weight then I don't see why hunt would be a bad choice.
One of my customers recently bought a set of Hunt wheels. Had some settling in issues with leaky, poorly-applied tubeless tape and spokes losing tension and going out of true. Hunt reimbursed him for what he paid us to do the rectification work!

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
In terms of the hubs pretty sure they use the high engagement novatechs (I own a set and like them) which you're starting to see pop up on a few pre-built wheels (that will charge you $100's more), the new spank 350's use them for instance.
Are you saying that Spank simply brand Novatec hubs?

Sent from my SM-G960N using Tapatalk

gillyske

Likes Dirt
One of my customers recently bought a set of Hunt wheels. Had some settling in issues with leaky, poorly-applied tubeless tape and spokes losing tension and going out of true. Hunt reimbursed him for what he paid us to do the rectification work!
This is exactly my point. You can put together your own wheels for $670 aud sure (if you could build your own wheel and don't mind using a shimano hub) but then you don't get the warranty support... plus you have to build your own wheel.
Are you saying that Spank simply brand Novatec hubs?

Sent from my SM-G960N using Tapatalk
I think they might have their own torque cap?