Zero alcohol for December anyone?

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
steve24, I'm in mate, not that I drink much these days. Probably had 6 beers over the last 2 months. As others have said, you've picked a tough month. I think I can do this pretty easily, my problem at the moment is my food nutrition/intake. Got to stop eating junk and get on the health bus.

Sorry to hijack, but any out there got any tips on getting off junk food and eating healthy??

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Sorry to hijack, but any out there got any tips on getting off junk food and eating healthy??
First rule is only eat home made food.
Second rule is when doing the shop, do it on a full stomach and only buy decent food.
Third rule is lots of will power - if your in a house that everyone will try to eat better, it will be a lot easier than trying to do it on your own.
Maybe just designate a junk food night (in sensible moderation) to satisfy yourself.
I also find counting calories helps.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Art, i find having healthy food at home is a big start.

Cut up carrot sticks, raw green beans, turnips, fruit etc in the morning to take to work or in the fridge if you are home.

While we eat quite healthy food, i often snack on junk during the day.

For me i also find that spending a bit more time exercising makes me want to eat better...

I also don't drink loads but find this time of year 2-3 drinks at work parties etc turn into 8-9. The idea of eating sensible food also goes out the door and here comes another 5kg by the end of the month.

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Stick with it, youll feel better for it. I've done a couple 3 month no drinking stints leading up to big races, planning another one after New Years. Have you checked out 'hellosundaymorning'? It's got heaps of people doing the same thing for various reasons. It's a good way to keep on track.
+1, I did a HSM also the support is great. Hoping to do another next year...

driftking

Wheel size expert
ART

As healthy food it depends how healthy we are talking, to go full you need to make everything includin sauces from scratch. But without getting into too much here are my tips.

-cut out white foods, replace with wholemeal.
-find organic or natural if you can
-snacks, find healthy snacks, if your not trying to loose weight having nuts or natural Muesli bars (Carmen's are good) carrot sticks etc with you when your out will be good.
-look for healthy ea out alternatives avoid fried foods or batter, go for grilled or steamed foods or sushi etc as a lunch out.
-plate rule 1/4 protien 1/4 carbs 2/4 salad green veggies etc
-bake foods instead at home you don't need oil and you don't get carcinogenic burning.
-opt for lean cuts or meat chicken breast, eye fillet, top loin.
If you want something a little more tender with some fat buy a fattier cut but trim it down as much as possible.
-aim for grass feed beef the omega ratio is about 3:1 which is ideal (keep in mind ratio does not mean its high in omegas)
-Use herbs and spices in food for flavour instead of fats and oils.
-Use healthy fats, monounsaturated is the main player.

-for the sweet kick designate a small meal or desert to have either daily dark cholate is good as ts quite healthy injustice don't eat too many serves. (serving size is what gets ya)
-soda water with fresh juice added (not sugar filled bottle but fresh aha) this can help give you a sweet satisfaction without the massive sugar.
-on that note eat fruit for sugar cravings most are actually moderate to low in GI rating but they deffinately satisfy that sweet taste.
-eat regularly by eating regularly and complex carbs you will keep your insulin and sugar levels steady and provide your boy with glucose steadily this will help prevent those down times or cravings for sugars and other crap.

Some people find it hard to do it all at once so just focus on one thing each week or a few things and then slowly build up.

Oh and don't add salt to food unless medically you have to. Once you are making food from starch its fine but with some prepared things you get a good sack of odium.
Pasta and pasta sauce per serve can easily hit 1.5g / 75%rdi

Last edited:

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
3 shindigs over the next 2 weekends. Old drinking buddies at 2 of them, so I am going to be highly pressured into slamming down a few sherbets. I'll be right...

driftking

Wheel size expert
3 shindigs over the next 2 weekends. Old drinking buddies at 2 of them, so I am going to be highly pressured into slamming down a few sherbets. I'll be right...

Just remember that it's your body and your decisions, most people will respect that and if they don't at first they will learn to. The more you say no the easier it gets, my mates no longer ask me, they might ask if I'm having a beer on occasions but when I say no they don't push it now.

I find having something else with you will help even if it's just water, drinking and not getting thirsty will help at least keep your thirst at bay.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
+1, I did a HSM also the support is great. Hoping to do another next year...
just started one myself. the IL's had a go at me the other night for having a bottle of wine a week....:yell: i'm still fuming over the hipocrisy considering both of them are on multiple meds and 3 types of painkillers at 4 hourly intervals for lifestyle illnesses....

*ahem* /rant over

still i've just finished a long hard season of racing and have to back it up with State Titles in February at freakin' Mt Gambier so 3 months of teetotaling won't hurt me. maybe.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No real problem without alcohol for me so far but am succumbing to the Dec. shit food frenzy. Seems there is 1 or more kids shows on every day this week. Huge family gingerbread bake up today....
Add to that missing my monday ride 1 of above kids dos and worse missing my Wed night MTB for another has left me really grumpy and stuffing my face with left over party goodies and whatever other crap food is around....

Norco Maniac

Is back!
Today is the end if week one for me. Not too difficult as I live with non-drinkers, but next weekend is a mates birthday party so that may be a tad harder. One tough moment was cooking dinner for the clan Friday night as its been my habit of a few years standing to have a glass of wine or two while cooking.

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
just started one myself. the IL's had a go at me the other night for having a bottle of wine a week....:yell: i'm still fuming over the hipocrisy considering both of them are on multiple meds and 3 types of painkillers at 4 hourly intervals for lifestyle illnesses....

*ahem* /rant over

still i've just finished a long hard season of racing and have to back it up with State Titles in February at freakin' Mt Gambier so 3 months of teetotaling won't hurt me. maybe.
Stupid question; Whats considered to be a lifestyle illness? Its not a term I've come across.

trailrider

Cannon Fodder
I think that this is a great goal, you would not believe how much alcohol affects your fitness. So I am going to give this a crack right until march.

driftking

Wheel size expert

*ahem* /rant over

one bottle over 7days. whats that 1 drink a night maybe two. if its good quality ie proper red wine that would be considered healthy from my understanding. 1-2standard drinks of red wine a night is healthy.

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
after being a heavy drinker for a number of years I married a woman who seldom drinks. In the last 12 months I've had maybe 10 drinks and 8 of those were on our anniversary weekend away. No drinking in December should be easy peasy!

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
one bottle over 7days. whats that 1 drink a night maybe two. if its good quality ie proper red wine that would be considered healthy from my understanding. 1-2standard drinks of red wine a night is healthy.
Hahaha actually, one bottle of wine = 6 STANDARD wine serves (125ml) and not a single person I know would pour that little of a glass at home. So basically, it's about four glasses in a week, colloquially (or 6.8-7.7 std drinks depending on the wine)

:nerd: