2007 Australian Worlds Team

MJR82

Likes Bikes
The Selction criteria is not worth the paper its written on. Doesnt matter wether its mtb,bmx,cycling etc. Its up to the discretion of the 'selectors' who they feel will get the results. Wether these 'selectors' make the correct decisions or not, is at times questionable.

This is just a personal opinion. The important thing is to go out and ride the best you can and enjoy yourself!

Last edited:

the F.H.B

Likes Dirt
Well as I've stated earily in the thread, Im very disappointed with the Team selection made, Here is a quick summery of my reasonings.

Do the selectors really want 4x to die? By their choices you would have to think so. If top riders spend their own coin to go to the national rounds, they should be rewarded for their efforts. Guys like Terry Scarr and Alex Lloyd rode well all season and beat pretty much everyone on the list yet they dont get on.
Conversely you have riders on the list like Mick or Bryn who put the 4x behind the Dh in order of preferance getting the big chance.
Here is the current 4x world rankings according to the UCI, It shows pretty clearly who's putting the effort in
http://www.uci.ch/ucinet/uci.asp?page=results&discipline=mtb&ryear=2007&ridercategory=me&l=eng

We all know the Joanne Fox situation is a joke and she should be in, so instead im going to tell a little story on missing out...
Back in the day I was a stong Sport climber, my training goal was to compete in the (Asian)X games one day. In 2000 I finally got the chance after finishing 3rd in the national series. When I when to the Sport climbing Federation they said they had decided not to send a team so I would have to wait till the next year. (they decided we weren't good enough, even though I was consistantly beating the climber who came 5th the year before.)
I accepted this (I was unbelievably pissed off but what could I do...) and started training for the next year. 2 weeks after the first comp of 2001 I ruptured my PCL, effectively ending my Climbing career, I never did get to the X games...

I guess the moral of the story is people have dreams, and they strive to make those dreams happen. In a sport like Mountain Biking there is only a limited window of oppertunity to get to the top, you have to take that chance while you can because you never know what tommorrow will bring.

Mtba's job is to get the best possible representative team to Fort William, they are failing to do that, they should explain why.:mad:

G-Man

Likes Dirt
Even though Foxy did come 5th. I was close to 50sec of the pace of the winners. I would think that CA would want a better showing than last year with all of the elite women well of the pace. Thus have only picked riders with a realistic chance of being up near the pointy end instead of being cannon fodder.
Compared to the men where all of the guys finished in the top half of the pack. With an impresive five in the top 15 riders.
Yes everyone loves an underdog. But you have to fit the criteria.
If the appeal does not work the best thing Foxy can do is get enough UCI points (20 at the moment) or be a part of a trade team (you can start your own like team USA Decline), ride at the Canberra World Cup and show why she sould have been picked.

Also pyley this a Worlds Team in general thread, not just a Why didnt I Get Picked thread. So showing us team bikes is cool with me.
Good Call we have already go tthe wheels in motion for that ..

Any hoo - like incontenant said We'll Just Ride and have fun ..
She & I are much calmer today so what ever comes - comes ..

Catch yas

G-man outy

ronning

Likes Bikes
Easy to get international xperiance when your never given the chance as i say if lloydey and foxxy had the big dollar sponsers then would they have been chosen.As i see it alex beat the whole 4x team except Luke who may have uci bmx commitments so go figure.I know for a fact that alot have people chased the national series and dedicated them selfs to do what ever they were told to do to make the team i suppose they musnt know the right click.
Just thinking i have seen barnsey actually axe a few of the 4x team and hes like 100 so if we dont want to show the world the best we have fuckit pick me ill go.
N#G@A PLEASE
Firtsly llyod wouldnt touch graves... however alex possibly should have made the team because he rode well in the aussie series.

I'm not sure who barnesy is but the courses overseas are a fair bit more technical and having a good gate start does not get you in the team.Most of the picked riders have performed competitivley on the international arena.

It hasnt nothing to do with dollars

ronning

Likes Bikes
Well as I've stated earily in the thread, Im very disappointed with the Team selection made, Here is a quick summery of my reasonings.

Do the selectors really want 4x to die? By their choices you would have to think so. If top riders spend their own coin to go to the national rounds, they should be rewarded for their efforts. Guys like Terry Scarr and Alex Lloyd rode well all season and beat pretty much everyone on the list yet they dont get on.
Conversely you have riders on the list like Mick or Bryn who put the 4x behind the Dh in order of preferance getting the big chance.
Here is the current 4x world rankings according to the UCI, It shows pretty clearly who's putting the effort in
http://www.uci.ch/ucinet/uci.asp?page=results&discipline=mtb&ryear=2007&ridercategory=me&l=eng

We all know the Joanne Fox situation is a joke and she should be in, so instead im going to tell a little story on missing out...
Back in the day I was a stong Sport climber, my training goal was to compete in the (Asian)X games one day. In 2000 I finally got the chance after finishing 3rd in the national series. When I when to the Sport climbing Federation they said they had decided not to send a team so I would have to wait till the next year. (they decided we weren't good enough, even though I was consistantly beating the climber who came 5th the year before.)
I accepted this (I was unbelievably pissed off but what could I do...) and started training for the next year. 2 weeks after the first comp of 2001 I ruptured my PCL, effectively ending my Climbing career, I never did get to the X games...

I guess the moral of the story is people have dreams, and they strive to make those dreams happen. In a sport like Mountain Biking there is only a limited window of oppertunity to get to the top, you have to take that chance while you can because you never know what tommorrow will bring.

Mtba's job is to get the best possible representative team to Fort William, they are failing to do that, they should explain why.:mad:

Terry didnt go so well in the last world cup did he. I think some of the women qualified faster than him and he was out in the first round.

UCI ranking no way a means to pick the team. Alex llyod accrewd all his points by racing the aussie series. You guys have to remember MOST of the top riders don't even attend these races. Jared's first UCI point scoring race was the national titles in which he would have won bar unclipping in the final.

Give guys like Bryn and Rando some respect.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
If selection went purely on local results Cadel Evans would never have been picked on the XC team...

I can see where they are coming from in terms of the MtnX team but leaving Foxy off the womens team and only sending 1 rider is baffling at best.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Can someone explain why CA are pulling the strings? I would have though MTBA would be the governing body even though the 2 are associated.
And was there a press release regarding the team selection?

GDonehue

Likes Dirt
Terry didnt go so well in the last world cup did he. I think some of the women qualified faster than him and he was out in the first round.

UCI ranking no way a means to pick the team. Alex llyod accrewd all his points by racing the aussie series. You guys have to remember MOST of the top riders don't even attend these races. Jared's first UCI point scoring race was the national titles in which he would have won bar unclipping in the final.

Terry has raced well in the Felt Cup last weekend - a UCI points race. He dropped it in Qualifying at Schladming as did a bunch of riders. That said he also finished in the top 50% of the pack overall, which puts him above two of the team members in the 4X team in terms of their World Cup rides. There are no UCI points for the Aussie series (I think) - they came from the Oceanias and the National Championships. Terry, Lloydy, Luke Strom all beat Rando there and Amiel. Lloydy and Luke also beat Bryn. I am not saying that this 'means they should be on the team' but I would argue that those three riders are a match for some of the world's best when given the opportunity.

BOBCATZZ

Banned

1st MADDILL 2ND LLOYD 3RDBRYN 4TH JARED dont know about cant touch still he had to beat maddill but jareds os perfermances warant him being there as he is taking 4x seriously.Also this the track of the worlds 09 there for is the best 4x track au has to offer

Last edited:

BOBCATZZ

Banned
Firtsly llyod wouldnt touch graves... however alex possibly should have made the team because he rode well in the aussie series.

I'm not sure who barnesy is but the courses overseas are a fair bit more technical and having a good gate start does not get you in the team.Most of the picked riders have performed competitivley on the international arena.

It hasnt nothing to do with dollars
LLoydy was the only aussie to make it to finals last year at rotarua a track that scared the shit out of most riders so u are right the tracks are different

the F.H.B

Likes Dirt

I have never given the likes of Jared or Bryn anything but the uttermost respect, which is something you could learn judging by the first sentence of your post.

If you refer back to my post you will see that I stated that it was a question of prorities, I believe the DH team is picked on merit, Im struggling to see that merit on the 4x team.

I took the time to go through UCI records from the beginning of the year, in that time I have Mick down as doing 1 4x event, 1 UCI sanctioned race all year. He was down for 2 others and had DNS's, can you explain that?

I could go on, things like Amiel being beaten by Scarr and Lloyd at every round during the national series come to mind fairly quickly but the fact is I doubt it will change anything...

Oh yeah except the fact that Australia's shooting it's own chances in the foot, and when these guys give up on doing the national series because lets face it, it's limited returns for a serious outlay, then it's the sport that will suffer.

junior

get out of my grill
Loyd's tracksuit pants are'nt gonna cut it in fort william.....

Last edited:

ronning

Likes Bikes
LLoydy was the only aussie to make it to finals last year at rotarua a track that scared the shit out of most riders so u are right the tracks are different

NNNEEEERRRR. No he was the only rider to go into the second round. I think only a handful of boys actually raced after a bad run of injuries leading up to the race. Bootes had a broken nose, Jared broken wrist etc and i'm sorry but graves is in another league.

Hannah, Rando and Bryn have all had big results on the international scene. Scarr and llyod have not!!!! You cannot get picked for a WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP team after competing in a half assed series. Maybe next year they should do what all the picked guys on the team have done in the past and put there lives on hold and prove themselves on an international scene.

It is worth noting that although they have named 8 men DH riders only 6 will race and less than 6 will actually race 4x.

The same thing is gonna happen with selection with the olympic bmx team. Whilst most people(in public) will lay there judgements from races in australia the team will mostly be chosen from international events. UCI supercross, american uci races and of course the upcoming world championships and maybe in tight situatiuons thay would look to the likes of Australian UCI events or Pro BIX.

I do hope Madill rides he does have the class to do well and has proved himself at a international level.

Last edited:

GDonehue

Likes Dirt
NNNEEEERRRR. No he was the only rider to go into the second round. I think only a handful of boys actually raced after a bad run of injuries leading up to the race. Bootes had a broken nose, Jared broken wrist etc and i'm sorry but graves is in another league.

Hannah, Rando and Bryn have all had big results on the international scene. Scarr and llyod have not!!!! You cannot get picked for a WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP team after competing in a half assed series. Maybe next year they should do what all the picked guys on the team have done in the past and put there lives on hold and prove themselves on an international scene.

t is worth noting that although they have named 8 men DH riders and 6x that is not the amount that will actually compete. I think in the men only 6 can ride Dh and less in the 4x.

The same thing is gonna happen with selection with the olympic bmx team. Whilst most people(in public) will lay there judgements from races in australia the team will mostly be chosen from international events. UCI supercross, american uci races and of course the upcoming world championships any maybe in tight situatiuons thay would look to the likes of Australian UCI events or Pro BIX.
Exactly what International 4X results has Madill had..? Being National Champion did not appear to make much difference to Foxy...

Funny as it may sound - Lloydy's Oceania result, whilst gotten here, is an international result. This is why it gets so many UCI points. And speaking of half assed series - have you seen the results at NORBAs and who is riding 4X? Take out the top three at all but one round and you aren't left with a lot of quality... So maybe we should be giving more credit to our half assed series.

ronning

Likes Bikes
Exactly what International 4X results has Madill had..? Being National Champion did not appear to make much difference to Foxy...

Funny as it may sound - Lloydy's Oceania result, whilst gotten here, is an international result. This is why it gets so many UCI points. And speaking of half assed series - have you seen the results at NORBAs and who is riding 4X? Take out the top three at all but one round and you aren't left with a lot of quality... So maybe we should be giving more credit to our half assed series.
Pull your head in.Anyone can see Luke Madill would quickly cut his teeth and be a contender at a Worlds in 4x and is an exceptionto the rule.

We do not want moto fill