The Fixie Thread

floody

Wheel size expert
JESUS FLOODY! That bike looks trick.. Will it get a run at Friday night track? looking forward to seeing the finished wheels. NOS Turbo, dug out from Uncle Rays basement or one of the new ones? My old brown one still gets a workout and is very compfy.. bought a new black one.. so uncompfy.

Think its probably a new Turbo to be honest, think the older ones have tricolour stripes adjacent to the logo.

Plan to do the odd track event on it for shits and giggles, its really a hang on the wall build though, certainly not a streeter with 30+ year old unsealed dura-ace bits and a wheelset which will be nearly as old as me.

LJohn

Likes Dirt

My Workhorse of 4 years. Changes around a bit but it's pretty basic.

Best bit of it.

Coming soon, something quite special involving a BMC TT bike

rhysrhysbaby

Eats Squid

75% done, still waiting for spokes to build up the real wheelset (shitter rollers wheelset and rubber on it now, building nos high polish MA4s on Dura Ace track high flange hubs), and Reynolds 531 decals for the frame.
Very Very Very nice!!!
I'd be putting low flange DA hubs on it, but thats just a personal preference.

floody

Wheel size expert
Looking at it in pics now, I kind of agree. But have a fresh 7500 DA slotted high flange rear hub, and a brand new 7600 high flange front to use. Ideally I'd have two 7500 hubs but I have spent 6 months searching and not found a single 32h one.

Last edited:

Rexy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Evening all,

Just recently got back into the fixed scene. I had an old track bike that I used to ride, but got rid of it a while ago for the fear of being hip, and because it just didn't get used.

Now that I am at uni, and riding to work also, I thought it was time to move up from the bunky SS roadie I was getting around on, so with a little encouragement from a few friends I have built myself another fixie! Here it is:

The frame is an old Gordonson (very fitting I thought given that I am located in WA!). The fork, headset (rebuilt) and stem are original.

Many of the parts on it I had lying around the shed (ODI longnecks, Odyssey monolever, Odyssey PC pedals, Raceface cranks, FSA Platinum Pro ti BB, set of Vittoria tyres, etc). Picked up the bars and saddle cheap of a friend.

Front wheel is an XTR hub laced onto an Alex rim. 16 spoke radial, mainly because I was a bit tight on cash at the time of buying spokes to be honest...

Rear wheel is a Velocity B43, as I just wanted something nice and tough that I could bash around on.

Total cost came in under $250!

I'm loving the feel of it at the moment, I purposely went for a much larger frame than normal (its a 60cm, I would normally run a 56) and the 700 wheels on a 27 fork as I wanted to be sitting fairly upright (carrying a laptop and a bag full of books to uni bent over is no fun!). Flat pedals as I don't have room in my bag for a set of shoes if I ran clipless, and have a raging hatred of toe clips.

Plan is to ride it to uni, to work, go for the odd Sunday pizza and pint ride and maybe try out a little polo on it. Plus do lots of skids :)

Five Miles Out

Likes Dirt
Hi all, I have a new Roselli 17T cog. I have been riding singlespeed with a normal road chain for a rear cog, but now I put the chain on, the gap between the pins are too large.

What type of chain do I need? Bit of an amature question but I really need some advice!

-SaM-

Likes Dirt
hey guys its probably a dumb question, but i heard that the star flip flop wheels off eBay are cheap and weak but it it just the cog and lockring that strip or does the actual thread on the hub?
Thanks

STP RIDER123

Likes Dirt

hey guys,jsut finished ghetto spraying my new fixie,its almost done,just need tires,seatpost and seat.
have no idea what frame it is so yer ill just show you guys a pic! hope you enjoy.

ill get better pics later

Pete J

loves his dog
hey guys,jsut finished ghetto spraying my new fixie,its almost done,just need tires,seatpost and seat.
have no idea what frame it is so yer ill just show you guys a pic! hope you enjoy.
ill get better pics later
The paintjob looks pretty good but that frame is massive, how tall are you?

hubbie

Forever 1,337
I'm frothing over the moon. Had this frame sitting in my garage for about 3 years, and finally got it together today, after months of rawing the frame, months of painting it, then months of working on the fork to get the headset to fit. Still need to set up the brake, get shims for flat bars, and get some stainless bolts for the bottle holder mounts etc. but very happy it's done. better photos when it's not glary.

Mystery 80's(?) 700c frame, Deep V wheelset, shimano 600 cranks, KMC SL Ti-pin chain, KKT pedals, Vittoria Zafiro 23c's

My Fixies. Selling bottom one.

Rexy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looks really neat Hubbie, I like it!

Have you run the Zaffiro's before?

I've got a set on at the moment and so far so good, just wondering how they will pan out in terms of wear and puncture resistance...

hubbie

Forever 1,337
thanks man. they're the same wheels and tyres as on my first fixie. I haven't skidded them or used them much yet, but they seem to do the job. Brake going on soon, so I'll be using it more often. Got some stainless bolts for the bottle holder mounts to clean it up a bit.