The Fixie Thread

Paddyboy

Likes Bikes
If i wanted to ride it with a flip-flop hub, have 45-17 on the freewheel side and another ratio on the other side that is faster for flatter roads is that possible?
Im not sure I like the idea to much of skidding to stop considering my commute involves going through around 5-6 traffic lights. So i'd prefer to have good brakes and ride free-wheel on a single speed.

RCOH

Eats Squid
Singlespeeds usually have a slightly lower gear (60 -65 gi) so it is easier to go up hills.

edit: you don't have to skid to stop on a fixie, just get a front brake and learn to use it. Skiding is really only in emergencies or to wipe off speed when going down really fast hills, or to muck around on.

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
If i wanted to ride it with a flip-flop hub, have 45-17 on the freewheel side and another ratio on the other side that is faster for flatter roads is that possible?
Im not sure I like the idea to much of skidding to stop considering my commute involves going through around 5-6 traffic lights. So i'd prefer to have good brakes and ride free-wheel on a single speed.
You dont need to skid to stop/slow down a fixie, you can just slow down the pedaling. However I would still run a brake, it takes a while to learn to stop.

Moving on, I built up my first fixie yesterday, went out riding last night learning how to skid and slow down. Pics up soon.

hubbie

Forever 1,337
Fixie for sale

Selling my spare fixie. Repco (70s/80s?) 700c frame painted dark greeny blue, like the ocean. Alloy road stem, drops, post, sugino 170mm cranks. Campagnolo Zeus high flange rear, Campagnolo Record high flange front, both to Alex DP2000's with DT Swiss spokes. Vredestein Ricorso tyres. X-mission road saddle, KMC chain, Odyssey Twisted PC's. Runs great. small paint chips on frame. Waiting on a Miche lockring to arrive on monday-tuesday. $600 - Pickup preferred.

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/album.php?aid=55645&id=1041449289

My new bike
Specs
Frame: CMW? Columbus SL tubing
Wheels: Deep Vs, laced to a Surly NEW hub (rear) and Campy (front, not sure of model).
Cranks: Sugino (42 tooth)
Rear Cog: Surly 18th 1/8th track cog
Chain: KMC Kool
Bars: Titec xc bars (flat), Cinelli (drops)

Its been pretty fun, but i need some new pedals i think and i need to get my head around bunny hoping up gutters etc. Skidded the shit out of it though

floody

Wheel size expert
Sorry if this has already been posted.
A gearing claculator http://www.surplace.fr/ffgc/
I still like sheldon's better, I think more in gear inches than development.

LOLz 88.9 gear inches. No wonder the old girl takes some pulling up.

Anyone know of a stash of old skool 700x20c rubber? Really want a matched pair of tyres. Have one Avocet fasgrip K20 and would love another... Or anything much else old, skinwall, slick, 700x18 or 20 and not crunchy.

Zyphryss

Breaker of the unbreakable
Anyone know of a stash of old skool 700x20c rubber? Really want a matched pair of tyres. Have one Avocet fasgrip K20 and would love another... Or anything much else old, skinwall, slick, 700x18 or 20 and not crunchy.
VeloFlex Record.

floody

Wheel size expert
Oooh nice, like the look of those. Tossing up between some 80s Avocet Timetrial rubber on ebay or them...bout the same price.