2010 World Solo 24 Hour Championships

UKmatt

Likes Bikes
Any ideas if the course length at the WSC will be similar to the Aus champs. 30 minute laps seems pretty short to me?

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Well, someone's got to stand up for the wombat.
What's a Miranda Devine?
:) SMH Rabid right wing columnist... Had a few very ill informed comments about cyclists a while ago (basically we were silly to think that we should have equal rights on the road and it was our own fault when we got hit for being out there in the first place).

In a cyclist vs wombat incident... she would have taken the wombat's side... definitely :)

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Any ideas if the course length at the WSC will be similar to the Aus champs. 30 minute laps seems pretty short to me?
30minute laps are great! makes it easier to plan hydration etc...

I'd sare say it'll be a bit longer. CORC go on a magic formula of 1 rider ever 50m's or something. that's up over 10k's at the moment and clmbing. WSC is at a totally different venue to the Aus Champs too!

There's a few of us eagerly awaiting hints at the course. Speculation would have it at a 45-50min loop (the Red Lap you might have kept hearing about)

Cheers
Spoonie

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
I'd sare say it'll be a bit longer. CORC go on a magic formula of 1 rider ever 50m's or something. that's up over 10k's at the moment and climbing.
Yep - I'd say it will be a bit longer too - somewhere around the 16 Km mark. We want the track to be clear enough (in terms of congestion) so that the riders can have a fair and unobstructed race, but have them close enough to each other so they don't feel lonely out there.

30minute laps are great! makes it easier to plan hydration etc...
They will be longer than that, but there will be a mid point "neutral" feed zone which the helpers can choose to re-stock themselves, and we will have some water, sports drink and other "basics" there.

There's a few of us eagerly awaiting hints at the course. Speculation would have it at a 45-50min loop (the Red Lap you might have kept hearing about).
Ah yes, the anticipation ... :)

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
Yep - I'd say it will be a bit longer too - somewhere around the 16 Km mark. We want the track to be clear enough (in terms of congestion) so that the riders can have a fair and unobstructed race, but have them close enough to each other so they don't feel lonely out there.

They will be longer than that, but there will be a mid point "neutral" feed zone which the helpers can choose to re-stock themselves, and we will have some water, sports drink and other "basics" there.

Ah yes, the anticipation ... :)
Vote 1 for the shortest lap possible. The course at Majura is perfect for that reason... whilst I understand this is only possible due to the lower competitor numbers.

A midway "feed zone" would be a great alternative. In fact I kinda used one last year at the Scott... where I would met Jess at the top of the car park near the Short Track course, and say gday.

So if we can't have a shorter loop, then a midway please, and make sure it's accessible via bike and or a shortish walk.

PDogg

Manly Warringah MTB Club
I'm very excited by the prospect of a longer lap. Too short a lap makes me feel dizzy after 6 hours. Mid point feed is ideal for the convenince of a shorter lap re nutrition but the interest factor remains with the longer format lap. Horray (until formally announced otherwise).

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
At about 23:30:00 (when you are deciding whether to do another lap) you'll be cursing that long lap

I'm very excited by the prospect of a longer lap. Too short a lap makes me feel dizzy after 6 hours.
Ditto for the longer lap. My best experience so far was the Scott in 2008, where we did the hour glass format. There were punishing and exciting elements on both laps, but it certainly spread the huge field out and kept things interesting. I liked the skyline roller coaster on the red lap and the mini jump park on the blue.

While I'm sure all solo riders will be competent or they wouldn't be there, the prospect of continually having to pass or be passed on a shorter course isn't so appealing. I find my passing skills diminish greatly after about 6hrs in the saddle. That quick sprint past becomes a mildly hurried scoot as the legs cease to be controlled by the mind.

I like the concept of the Mawson Marathon as a 24hr point to point for all of the above reasons. Wouldn't it be great to have a series of 100 mile point to point races in Australia/NZ? :cool:

matt36415

Likes Dirt
I know there is no democracy operating here, but go the long lap. Doing a million short laps is boring and I assume that the guys at the pointy end of the race will want less rather than more traffic to deal with

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
Having solo riders out on their own for over an hour without support, is not ideal. This has been the case at the past 2 Scott 24 hours, and I can assure you that the riders would prefer it not happen.

As has been suggested that a midway point is the way to go.

Anti_Trainer

Likes Dirt
Personally I prefer a longer lap, more chance to get settled into a rythym, less oppurtunity to cry in the pits.
And all those people on tiny clown bikes with only one water bottle holder pay the price.

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Trunk Trail, Past the Pipes, down the back, all those s bends, through wombat junction, down past the 4x track. That'd have to go close to 16k's! not much opportunity for a 2nd feed zone though...

Cheers
Spoonie

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
I think I'd prefer the longer lap, like Anti-trainer said zone out and get into a groove, but dunno for sure 'cos I didn't make it to Majura to test out the shorter lap. I never had a problem with hydration at last years scott and that was only with one bottle a lap but i did have issues at the 100mile cruise on that loop when it got pretty hot in the arvo, so a spot somewhere to top a bottle would be cool.
I guess we'll just adapt to whatever's served up, if it was easy i guess everyone would be doin' it.
Around 16k's sounds perfect for me.

Norm makes a good point as depending on how hot it is one does get a little thirsty, especially if riding a clown bike with only one bottle cage. Additional feeding points are a sensible idea.

I just love variety and there are lots of fun sections at dusty old Stromolo, so some kind of day lap/night lap thingo would be good. Although that may be too complicated with the teamsters doing their thing at the Scott simultaneously.

I have to say I think anti-trainer is being a bit naughty discriminating against short people on toy sized frames. Having been of below average height all my life, I now carry a large chip on my shoulder, which he will have to navigate round to pass me (which I'm thinking he will be doing quite often). Be warned anti-trainer the little people are out to get you :p