2010 World Solo 24 Hour Championships

jmcavoy

Likes Dirt
Personally I prefer a longer lap, more chance to get settled into a rythym, less oppurtunity to cry in the pits.
And all those people on tiny clown bikes with only one water bottle holder pay the price.
+1 for that, longer laps means less traffic and who needs fueling more than once an hour anyway? If you do, a mid way refuel spot has worked very well at the previous couple of solo worlds too (where laps were over an hour).

As for the clown bikes, we're not all freakishly tall ;)

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
Norm makes a good point as depending on how hot it is one does get a little thirsty, especially if riding a clown bike with only one bottle cage. Additional feeding points are a sensible idea.

I just love variety and there are lots of fun sections at dusty old Stromolo, so some kind of day lap/night lap thingo would be good. Although that may be too complicated with the teamsters doing their thing at the Scott simultaneously.

:p
Why not swap laps with the teamsters when the sun drops?

RichJS

Likes Dirt
I think I'd prefer the longer lap,
I can see it now: Two hundred solo riders - every one of them on Salsa Fargo with a full count of drink bottles and a large Camelbak - takes off at the start line and heads up to the top of Stromlo, down the other side and off to the Cotter Dam. From there it's down to Cooma and back up again.

The fastest riders start their second lap a little after midnight. :D

Why not swap laps with the teamsters when the sun drops?
I think you'll find that's what will happen.

Last edited:

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
I can see it now: Two hundred solo riders - every one of them on Salsa Fargo with a full count of drink bottles and a large Camelbak - takes off at the start line and heads up to the top of Stromlo, down the other side and off to the Cotter Dam. From there it's down to Cooma and back up again.

Now that's just ridiculous, what if you don't own a large camelback???:rolleyes:

DaGonz

Eats Squid

http://richardsterry.blogspot.com/

see *This* is what I reckon endurance riding is all about!!

Cheers
Spoonie

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Thats an ok idea, but I'd much prefer it if the AROC Capital Punishment 100km race could be turned into a loop... hit 5 different riding destinations each lap - now that'd be sweet

btw I'll keep my rear suspension and flat bars

Enduro Pulse

Likes Dirt
I'm in

Holy crap. I finally committed and just entered the race, age group 30-35.

Better put down that beer and hamburger and dust off the lights now!

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Holy crap. I finally committed and just entered the race, age group 30-35.

Better put down that beer and hamburger and dust off the lights now!
I bit the bullet yesterday - must stop post-solo nats gorging on every piece of sugary fatty salty piece of food in the house!

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
30minute laps are great! makes it easier to plan hydration etc...
Vote 1 for the shortest lap possible.
+1 to what Norm just said.
Having solo riders out on their own for over an hour without support, is not ideal.
Can it really be called solo racing if you're getting you're nails done in the pits every 30 minutes? Seems solo riders are a bit soft these days.

Boreit

Likes Dirt
Can it really be called solo racing if you're getting you're nails done in the pits every 30 minutes? Seems solo riders are a bit soft these days.
consider a 30 minute lap for some is a 40 minute lap for others & so on.....

personally couldnt care less how long the laps are, still have to go round for 24hrs. ;)

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
Yep that's right... Jess has a peddi done every second lap, and if anything is over 40 mins I have to remix the Nail solution.

Good to see that as is common here, that the conversation always continues in such a constructive and "witty" manner.

Shorter laps = exciting racing... exciting racing can sometimes equal more media coverage for the sport, and that can only be a good thing. Laps under 1 hour and a mid way check point is awesome. Naturally the lap times that are achieved at Majura can only happen due to the lower numbers, so of course we won't see 30 min laps at the Worlds, due to it also doubling as the Scott 24 right?

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
Naturally the lap times that are achieved at Majura can only happen due to the lower numbers, so of course we won't see 30 min laps at the Worlds, due to it also doubling as the Scott 24 right?
Not quite - the solos will have their own lap, so the lap length of that course will be dictated by the number of Solo entries and will not be dependent on the number of team entries.

So, if we get 400 solo riders, for example, then you would expect a solo lap length of around 16 Km.

Megs:)

Likes Dirt
The Worlds website says there is a cap of 300 solo riders. Is that true? If so, 16km for 300 riders would be a similar density to the nationals which was 9k for, what, about 180 riders? which would be good. I think you wouldn't want it any denser than that so 16kms sounds pretty good to me. As far planning hydration etc, it doesn't make too much difference how long the lap is because you should be able to plan food/drink pretty easily for any distance. I know longer laps will probably be better for me otherwise I am stopping for a chat all the time!

jeffandal

Likes Dirt
Russ,
A couple of questions that I thought would be to others watching this thread:
1. Will there be a mechanic/bike shop at the event??
2. Is CORC or anyone seeking out accommodation packages from the area?

Thanks Jeff.

QZ13

Likes Dirt
I have to do my hairs more often than that!

Really though, is it up to us or do we just go and ride what the course is and try and do the best we can.

If we all had an input into how long, which part, more trees, less dust, less farkin switchbacks(!!!), there would be 300 diferent loops.

Like the alchemist says, ride and smile (well ride at least until the pizza dude can't find you) FFS

I vote for a 10 hour loop

Last edited: