Adjustable Seat Posts

cressa

Likes Dirt
Got a new bike the other day and I'm going to be fitting up an adjustable post almost straight away. I'm thinking of going for the KS 950 because of the 125mm travel and good rep. Just can't decide weather to go for the lever or bar remote... Probably leaning more toward the lever due to not liking bar clutter and extra cables. Opinions?
I haven't ever used a lever operated post before but have been running 950 with remote for a couple of months now. I honestly couldn't imagine having to take my hands off the bars to shift the seat height. I abuse the remote, changing seat height almost as regularly as gears. Not sure if it's just me, but I feel hitting any corner or bit of fast/downhill track with the seat up a waste (and a sin), so mine is up down constantly.

It's been said a million times before, but a dropper post is an amazing asset to an AM bike and worth every overpriced dime you pay for them.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Just on a curiosity note. What's the advantage of the hydraulic remote on the reverb? I see a cable as being a much more reliable option, what's so good about having a full hydro line?
from what I've read ... its more disadvantage ... something to do with the fluid having to travel up the post (or up to the post) ... I didn't really understand this as I would have thought it was a closed circuit.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
from what I've read ... its more disadvantage ... something to do with the fluid having to travel up the post (or up to the post) ... I didn't really understand this as I would have thought it was a closed circuit.
It is a closed circuit. I suspect that the reason the reverb uses hydraulics is so that the clamping force on the post can be higher which means the release force on the clamp also has to be high. The post has virtually an infinite number (ok finite but lots) of heights at which it can be used without relying on detents or notches to hold the post at height. The hydraulics generate much more force than a cable so the clamp can be tighter. Bit like hydraulic disc brakes versus cable discs. If that makes sense to anyone... I could be very wrong though but I can't see why you would go for the added complexity, cost and weight of using hydraulic oil if a cable release would do the trick.

niki125

Likes Dirt
The KS is the same as the Reverb in that regard. The cable on the KS only activates a hydraulic valve. When the valve is closed it stops the post moving due to hydraulic lock. That's why I don't get the Reverb, They're both Hydraulic but the KS if the cable gets broken only requires a new cable :shrug:

Smythie

Likes Bikes
Changed my mind

I'm still getting used to my Joplin. I'm far from raving about it though. Not because of quality, it seems great but I can never get the drop in a correct position for tech single track. Full extend for climbing is great and push it all the way down for really steep stuff (which there is none of in Brisbane) is useful but random positions in between doesn't work for me. Before I had the post I was very used to riding and leaning on my seat through corners and using the seat to weight and balance the bike. Now every time the position feels a bit different and I rekon i'm slower on the fun stuff now. The only advantage so far is having the post up at a better height for climbing (boring).
The specialized post sounds perfect with the 1" drop from the top. I'd be trying one of them if I could.

P.
After riding for a few months now I have to say dropper posts are the shit. I would hate to be without it now. Even in Brisbane I have found it has transformed my riding style. Best thing to happen to mtb since disk brakes.

P.

dA_bOmBbIkE

Likes Dirt
My torpedo7 post just arrived in the mail after a whopping 13 days delivery time. What I can say is that the build quality seems fantastic, better than some of the big name brands. Colour looks great and matches all my other componentry on my Rocky Mountain Altitude. Action seems smooth enough, not too fussed about not having bar mounted actuation. Word of warning, tighten the top cap before riding, mine was about half a turn off completely undoing :0. Also min insertion is very high about 100mm which may be a problem as I have to run it about 10mm above this for proper saddle height, does anyone know why a dropper post needs more insertion? or is it just to be extra safe seeing as a bent one would be completely useless? All in all for $125 delivered seems like a bargain too me.
Chris

Ride_Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have just got myself a reverb and love it, first ride out on my slayer and its so good having it there. Minimum insertion is 80mm on the rock shox seat posts also.

Rhys

Last edited:

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Love my Reverb. Didn't need bleeding out of the box, even after I shortened the cable, which is a 5 second job, particularly with a threaded barb.

jheeno

Likes Bikes
update
ks 950r
3 months normal use
it has 1 inch of play
trying to contact the place i bought it from.
hopefully they can sort it out

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
update
ks 950r
3 months normal use
it has 1 inch of play
trying to contact the place i bought it from.
hopefully they can sort it out
Contact Pushie (at) live.com.au if your place of purchase doesn't help. Proof of purchase required.

Note: items not purchased via an Australian Retailer may be charged a processing fee. (TBC)

niki125

Likes Dirt
Got my spanking new KS 150 Supernatural the other day thanks to Pushie/ Nerf. Only been for 1 short ride so far but it has changed the way i get around the forrest. Keeps your flow going and now i'm dropping and raising a lot more than what i used to which makes me a lot faster on sections where i used to just plug away or dodge the saddle. Best thing to happen to MTB yet i think. Big thanks to Pushie for bringing them into the country. If anyone in Briz is after one gimme a call at GEAR Shop or shoot me a PM.

BB1

Likes Dirt
I've got a KS i900 post I've been running for around nine months, no issues whatsoever. Interestingly, when a mate has having his uber build done, we weighed my post and seat (SDG Belair) and his i-beam SDG Belair combo and from memory my setup was an extra 450g. So yes, as to be expected, heavier, but not as bad as I thought, and I think the usability factor more than makes up for the added weight! Interestingly he is now running a reverb.

Coincidentally, I've got a 31.6 Joplin 3 for sale cheap in the cockpit/controls section. New frame had a 30.9 diameter hence the change. For the riding we have in SEQ I actually think 3" of travel is more than ample.

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Picked up a KS 272 w/ remote from Al @ Pushie this week for my Commencal Meta4 XC.

Pretty impressed with the action. Nice and smooth, no initial play, nice and solid. And most importantly was the ONLY adjustable post that fits a 27.2mm post size! Saying that if i ever change frames with a bigger size i can just use a shim. So its win/win really.

a.jpg

Last edited:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Picked up a KS 272 w/ remote from Al @ Pushie this week for my Commencal Meta4 XC.

Pretty impressed with the action. Nice and smooth, no initial play, nice and solid. And most importantly was the ONLY adjustable post that fits a 27.2mm post size! Saying that if i ever change frames with a bigger size i can just use a shim. So its win/win really.

View attachment 222103
There is also an x-hilo and a gravity dropper that fits 27.2. I think thats all the options