Rotorburn Leaderboard.

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You need to take 3:29 off that!

0psi- 10km run 29:42 (It was a long time ago but still, it's my PB)

0psi- Half marathon 1:14:(something) Sorry can't remember seconds, it was 8 years ago.
For real!!! That's an incredible time - for the 10 - the half is very soft!

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Obviously I'm in no position to be calling BS, but...

Anybody claiming 50+ push ups after "not doing them for a while" should probably have a look at proper form before they try again.

ALL of the guys I train with, both kickboxing and in the gym, would struggle to do it properly and there is some seriously strong (and fit) people in that group!

ADD

Likes Dirt
Anybody claiming 50+ push ups should probably have a look at proper form before they try again
Don't worry mine were proper form. I was trying to get into the army a few years ago and was doing really well until my police record got in the way.

ADD

Likes Dirt
Every now again there is someone claiming to be a fitness professional or personal trainer on a forum. Just saying. Lets keep things positive with less criticism.

Plow King

Little bit.
Bit.of an update from fat king.

Push ups - 45
Dips - no idea lol
Bench 100
Military press - managed 2 @ 32.5 but with dumbells

akashra

Eats Squid
This thread has got me tempted to attempt a recent 100m sprint. I'm going to bet I can't come near 13.2 anymore :p

gixer7

Likes Dirt
Obviously I'm in no position to be calling BS, but...

Anybody claiming 50+ push ups after "not doing them for a while" should probably have a look at proper form before they try again.

ALL of the guys I train with, both kickboxing and in the gym, would struggle to do it properly and there is some seriously strong (and fit) people in that group!
Really?

I used to race dragonboats with a guy who was strong but not massive - he could do 70+ pushups. In 60 seconds. I kid you not.

50+ is not that hard. I can do a fastish 40 with perfect form even after not having done much training at all for 2 years and too many sausages in my belly (I know cause I was recently dared to do so. Probably not recommended). 50+ would not be a stretch I think for most fit/strong guys.

Now getting to 100 would be something else again.

On the other hand my flatmate struggled to get to 7 before his form went right off. Which was kinda sad.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It seems there are some free divers on here so some lazy man stats too?
Static breath hold 5:20sec
Constant balast 30.4M

One arm push ups 17 right, left- crap....

Grrilla

Likes Bikes
Good stuff with the thread Steve-o and Grrilla, very impressive lifts.

What do you think of adding weight classes for us little guys?
Thanks! Keep in mind though that I do train as a powerlifter, just have always loved riding so started downhill recently as my 'cardio' haha..

If you guys want to compare weight classes there is actually a formula called the Wilks formula that we use in PL for exactly that - link is http://www.powerliftingaustralia.com/WilksFormulaCalculator.htm

Basically you put your bodyweight and single lift or total in there and it spits out a Wilks number. Might be a bit complex for this purpose though!

gixer7

Likes Dirt
It seems there are some free divers on here so some lazy man stats too?
Static breath hold 5:20sec
Constant balast 30.4M

One arm push ups 17 right, left- crap....
Wow. How long did it take you to get to that?

How do you do your one arm pushups - legs spread or together? 17 is still pretty impressive either way. I know I can do at least 10 on either arm but never tried for a max. Might have to start training up to beat your mark.

akashra

Eats Squid
50+ is not that hard. I can do a fastish 40 with perfect form even after not having done much training at all for 2 years and too many sausages in my belly (I know cause I was recently dared to do so. Probably not recommended). 50+ would not be a stretch I think for most fit/strong guys.

Now getting to 100 would be something else again.

On the other hand my flatmate struggled to get to 7 before his form went right off. Which was kinda sad.
50 pushups, even 7 pushups, with proper technique can be very hard - not cheating push-ups. Proper, all the way to the ground, and hands appropriately spaced.
Try this:
Do one push-up in any position.
Now do another, but with your hands each about 8-10 inches further outwards from last time.
Now do another, but with your hands each about 8-10 inches inwards from the first time.

Now use the first position again but move them 8 inches back.
Now again, 8-10 inches forward from the first position.

See how much difference there is?

History tells me it takes me about 8 weeks to work back up to being able to do 100.

For those doing core training, we should really also be counting V-Snaps and Bridge twists.

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Really?

I used to race dragonboats with a guy who was strong but not massive - he could do 70+ pushups. In 60 seconds. I kid you not.

I guess what I was trying to say is, like oils, push ups ain't push ups. Position, depth, timing etc all have a MASSIVE influence on the difficulty and that should probably be determined sooner rather than later for the leader board to be successful.

In my experience, and I see this on a semi-regular basis as new guys give kickboxing a try (you can probably all imagine the type, they rarely last long), of all the guys who claim large numbers of push ups/pull ups/whatever else, only a very small minority can back it up under scrutiny even if they perceive their own form to be perfect.

I didn't mean to call BS on anyone's numbers, it is just a friendly challenge after all. And besides, my greatest ever push up achievement is being able to do one single pain-free push up following a shoulder injury.

gixer7

Likes Dirt
Akashra,

Yeah I actually have done pushups with a variety of of hand positions (or even just on my thumbs/fingers) and/or with my feet/foot balanced on a swiss ball so I know how to make them harder or easier.

I still maintain 50 is not that hard for someone who is fit enough and yes I'm talking about proper pushups not the half way to the floor crap. My martial arts trainer from when I was a wee tacker used to do the count and if anybody cheated he would not count it so there was no point in cheating on them.

Tough bastard he was. I still remember the night I was late to class - had to mimic sitting against the wall till my legs were jelly. I could barely stand after that. My dad thought it was hilarious AND justified. Ahh good times.

ADD

Likes Dirt
50 pushups, even 7 pushups, with proper technique can be very hard - not cheating push-ups. Proper, all the way to the ground, and hands appropriately spaced.
Try this:
Do one push-up in any position.
Now do another, but with your hands each about 8-10 inches further outwards from last time.
Now do another, but with your hands each about 8-10 inches inwards from the first time.

Now use the first position again but move them 8 inches back.
Now again, 8-10 inches forward from the first position.

See how much difference there is?

History tells me it takes me about 8 weeks to work back up to being able to do 100.

For those doing core training, we should really also be counting V-Snaps and Bridge twists.
Ditto

Never done a hundred but it was about 6-7 weeks to get to 80 push ups.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wow. How long did it take you to get to that?

How do you do your one arm pushups - legs spread or together? 17 is still pretty impressive either way. I know I can do at least 10 on either arm but never tried for a max. Might have to start training up to beat your mark.
I used to train with Aust. female freedive/ spearfish champ and my wife once a week in a dive training pool (absolute quiet).
She was actually a bit average at static but gave us some good tips.
I spent 6 months dive instructing in Thailand and did a fair bit of long/ shallow free dives there.
Like many things it's a lot in the mind, i would be able to get most average fit people to 3 mins in 1 session.

Legs spread for 1 arm.

As to technique i don't go to gyms, prefer to do a few pushups with my kids on my back or doing 1 arm kid lifts.
As i am not trying to win any medals i couldn't care less about form.
Never managed to crack 100 but it is one of my life's goals and regardless of form i will be impressed when i do it.

gixer7

Likes Dirt
I guess what I was trying to say is, like oils, push ups ain't push ups. Position, depth, timing etc all have a MASSIVE influence on the difficulty and that should probably be determined sooner rather than later for the leader board to be successful.

Not a bad idea. Maybe a link to a youtube clip that shows proper form etc would be useful for things like push ups, muscle ups etc. Not just for the leaderboard but just for general edumacation purposes.

Last edited:

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The second post in this thread will contain the rules for "correct form" for each excercise soon. I'll start it tonight and update the OP too.

There will always be people who add a few to what they can really do but the only way around that is video proof. I don't think we need that. This leader board is for healthy competition and motivation. You don't gain anything by cheating.

A quick note for pushups, they must be EXACTLY like this video. Chest must be 1-2" off the ground each rep and then pushup to full extension.

[video=youtube;Eh00_rniF8E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh00_rniF8E[/video]

Grrilla

Likes Bikes
The second post in this thread will contain the rules for "correct form" for each excercise soon.
I put the standards we use in my post with my numbers - most people don't seem to know what a 'parallel' squat is. Makes a huuuugggeeee difference to the weight you can squat!

Bench is paused or touch and go, must touch the chest.. and deadlift pretty much the only rule is no straps, grip strength is part of it!

That's my opinion anyways, can dig up some instructional videos if anyone wants.

Edit: I had a video of us squatting as an example, if I can work out how the hell to get it off FB I'll post a link!

Last edited: