XT M786 FD
XT M771 11-36 cassette
HG94 HGX 10sp chain
Easton Haven carbon bars 711mm
Easton Haven 85mm stem
ODI Rogue grips
Thomson elite setback post
Selle Italia SLR Flow saddle

Right on 28lb / 12.7kg with pedals. Easy to lighten it up a bit, but I value comfort and strength of components over light weight (plus I can't afford more XX / XTR lol).

TALLBOY1.jpg

TALLBOY2.jpg

Would be interesting to see how it handles if you put the spacers on the top and flip the stem. Bars will probably be at the same height but will have a lower grip on the steerer. I did this to mine and the handling was vastly improved.

A few changes so far, mainly revolving around running a SRAM drivetrain instead of the XT that it came with and looking to replace the FOXs with some SIDs in the very near future.
Very little saddle time so far but looks promising. The FULCRUMs in particular look the goods.

View attachment 249344

glenn1529

Likes Dirt
My Ritchey P-29er Blinglespeed

In the great tradition of posting your 29er in front of a mini. I present my Ritchey in front of my '62 Morris 850.

IMG_4516.jpg

Frame - 2012 Ritchey P-29er 19" triple butted Ritchey cr-mo. sliding dropouts, integrated headset
Rear shock - nope
Front shock/fork - 2013 Fox F29 CTD 15QR kashima with TREK G2 offset
Handlebars - Polished Bontrager 17d sweep flat bar
Stem - Polished Ritchey WCS 100mm
Headset - Ritchey pro
Grips - Ritchey WCS foamies
Saddle - FIZIK Tundra 2 Kium rail
Seatpost - Titanium Ebay job, Actually really well made and comfy
Front brake - Avid Elixir 7
Rear brake - Avid Elixir 7
Cranks - NOS RaceFace Turbine ISIS drive forged 5 arm
Chainguide - nada
Chain - KMC SL BMX jobby
Pedals - 970 XTR
Front derailleur - zilch
Rear derailleur - zip
Front shifter - nil
Rear shifter - What don't you understand? it doesn't have one.
Cassette - Surly 19t with spacers
Front hub - DT Swiss 240 9mm Thru with a ghetto 15mm conversion
Rear hub - DT Swiss 240
Front rim - Stan's ZTR Crest
Rear rim - Stan's ZTR Arch
Spokes - DT Swiss comp, I think
Nipples - sensitive and pointy
Tyres - Conti Race kings
Tubes - what are they?
Total weight - about 10.5kg on my cheap shop luggage scale

I have a complement of blingy Titanium bolts ordered
Going to swap to Maxxis Ikon EXO's as the local SS's seem to swear by them
Tossing up building a set of silver SS specific wheels to go with the retro theme, Quality silver rims seem to be hard to find though

RDH

Likes Dirt
Santa Cruz Highball (alloy SS)

IMAG0042.jpg

Frame: Santa Cruz Highball, alloy with SS rocker dropouts (large, blue with orange highlights, frameskinned).

Everything else: offcuts, spares, cheap sh!t to tide me over 'til the real stuff arrives.

Will post ride report, build details and proper pics in a week or 2.

Last edited:

glenn1529

Likes Dirt
Very Nice. If I have a growth spurt I'll be getting that bike.
The 650b one is ticking a lot of the right boxes for me.
How flexy is it?
How trail compliant(suspension wise)?

650b looks trick and should be very quick though it's a fixed rear end so no inbuilt chain tensioner to run SS if that's your thing.

P-29er is very compliant, especially with the Ti post and high volume tyres but somehow not flexy. The magic of quality steel I s'pose. The G2 geometry forks are cool too, It turns real sharp but is stable at speed.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
650b looks trick and should be very quick though it's a fixed rear end so no inbuilt chain tensioner to run SS if that's your thing.

P-29er is very compliant, especially with the Ti post and high volume tyres but somehow not flexy. The magic of quality steel I s'pose. The G2 geometry forks are cool too, It turns real sharp but is stable at speed.
Ahh thanks for the report and info about the 650b drop outs. I'd want to run my Nuvinci hub out back, so sliding drop outs would be nice. I could run a chain tensioner, but would rather not.

Ruse

Squid
Cotic Solaris

My new build. Nicely bedded in with 1000km and a couple of races. Still a couple of tweaks needed to cockpit, screaming out for a lighter set of wheels and a creak in the headset that I can't seem to isolate. But other than that, a beautiful ride that flies on the flat, is rock solid on the rough stuff and surprisingly nimble in tight singletrack.
Specs to follow.P1030515.jpgP1030514.jpg

mtb1611

Seymour
Bit the bullet and crossed over to the dark side.....despite investigating a number of other brands I've ended up on my 3rd Giant; price-point spec on the Trance X 29er 0 was simply too good to look past; the large number of positive reviews didn't hurt either. Picked her up on Saturday and have only had one ride thus far (Mt Annan). My initial skepticism in regard to handling traits due to the longer wheelbase was unfounded, as the handling through the tight and twisty sections was great - although I've now trimmed the bars down to 680mm (from their stock 730mm). The 2 x 10 gearing was great and the ratios are generally well-spaced, although Mt Annan is not a course with long climbs or descents. I swapped out the dropper post for a Thomson jobbie; in over 20 years of riding I've never found myself in a position where I've thought that dropping the post would enhance the ride and at 42 it's unlikely that I'll be actively seeking out such scenarios! I found the larger wheels to roll over obstacles extremely well they certainly give you an extra edge on fire trail/dirt road sections. The XT groupset is excellent with the brakes being particularly impressive and very powerful - also very quiet having come from Avid Elixir R's withe their factory-spec squeal! The mounting and adjustment hardware for the XT shifters and brake levers is very tidy and certainly gives the cockpit a very "clean" look. The Fox suspension package was very balanced. The CTD is handy to have but I imagine both front and rear will be spending 95% of the time in "Trail" mode. I haven't yet played around with sag and rebound or FIT settings as they performed well with all adjustments dialled into the "middle" settings. The Schwalbe Nobby Nics hooked up well but I'm probably running them a bit high for tubeless at 40 psi so I'll drop them down to 35 psi for the next ride and take it from there.

If I've got any info to add after the next ride I'll be sure and pass the info along.

Cheers. Ben.

29er - Copy.jpg