Post your 29er!

pistol

Likes Dirt
SantaCruz Highball alloy 29" wheel with SS drop outs

Enve bar
Sid fork
Rotor cranks
Xtr brakes
Hadley hubs (front is currently Shimano just waiting on Hadley conversion parts)
Mavic rims tubeless
Thompson stem
Carbon post
34:21 ratio
Running racing Ralph's now F&R

Good fun...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358749992.571455.jpg

Last edited:

OCD'R

Likes Dirt
So many SC Highballs lately... here is another one

Frame - SC Highball Carbon XXL
Rear shock - N/A
Front shock/fork - SID WC 100mm
Handlebars - ENVE XC
Stem - Thomson 70mm
Headset - CK
Grips - Lizardskins somethings
Saddle - Selle Italia SLR Ti
Seatpost - ENVE
Front brake - X0 160mm
Rear brake - X0 160mm
Cranks - X9 180mm
Chainguide - E13 XCX
Chain - SRAM PC1091-R
Pedals - XTR race
Front derailleur - N/A
Rear derailleur - X9 Type 2 short
Front shifter - N/A
Rear shifter - X0 10sp.
Cassette - SRAM XG-1090 11-36
Front hub - CK ISO 15mm
Rear hub - CK ISO 12x142
Front rim - Chinese carbon 23mm 28h
Rear rim - Chinese carbon 23mm 32h
Spokes - DT Revoloution 2.0-1.5-2.0
Nipples - DT prolock alloy
Tyres - Conti Race King 2.2
Tubes - N/A
Total weight - 9.5kg

Last edited:

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Bet that's what you say to all the boys...

and again...

Oh dear... and again.

Meet up in Feb to exchange rides/bikes - I heard you are a big bastard too
you are very sharp OCD................... and slightly twisted................................... that and the yeti make the perfect stable of bikes - well done.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
mmmm, now that's nice.... Big bastards unite!!!!
hi Ads

Hows the Lenz?

I see you have been travelling around the country abit - hitting up the trails i hope. Perhaps you could post a group pic of your fleet.

let me know if you are in Melbourne

the "bitch" that started all this

Attachments

Last edited:

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Seriously OCD that is one of the most considered and well thought out 29ers in recent times.

Very impressive mate

softek

Likes Dirt
OCD,

Very nice build mate, just 1 question, I notice you got sram xx1 crankset and the X9 type 2 rear derailleur, wouldn't that mean you don't need the chain guide?

OCD'R

Likes Dirt
Howdy Softek, I run X9 crank arms with an MRP Bling Ring (32T), not XX1. If the XX1 crankset came in 180mm lengths, then yes, I'd run them without the E*13 guide. The guide isn't really needed on a XC bike but it weighs bugger all so it is there as a bit of security/peace of mind.

Thanks JD, I'm really enjoying this HT business... very responsive, super fast and much more comfortable than I was prepared for. I've ridden at Warramate, You Yangs, YT and a local big elevation trail here in Eildon in the last two weeks. Life is great!

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I agree re: comfort on a well setup 29er hardtail.

The SC Tallboy only comes out to play when the terrain really demands it.

Lynskey 29er FTW ;-)

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
Seriously OCD that is one of the most considered and well thought out 29ers in recent times.

Very impressive mate
Hey OCD'R,

I concur with all the positive sentiments from JD and other lovers of fine things.

Don't tell anyone but I too have a Highball Carbon :cheer2: in the stable that I built up early 2012 after having played on a Gary Fisher 29r for a few years prior in which only the frame and fork was original.

I'm interested in the weight of your carbon rims and your opinion of feel and rigidity?

Also your bars look like they have been cut down from factory width or is it an illusion given the XXL size of your frame making it blend to look perfect? The build of yours and mine isn't overly dissimilar with you going one way and me the other then vice versa on a couple of other things, but I run a double.

Mars.

OCD'R

Likes Dirt
Rims from farsports (XC 23mm height and outer width), weigh in at 320g. Wheelset weighs 1500g.

No expert in suspension and component stiffness but I haven't noticed them to be flexy at all. I built them light for XC stuff and feel they are a good match to the frame and build. I used a concave washer on the pro lock nipple to help distribute the load a bit and get the tension up on the spokes. They are still running true and round, setup fairly easily with 2 x tape for tubeless (not as easily as a UST rim) so can't complain. My other 29er wheelset are alloy havens and I've promised my mate, HifiandMtb, a comparison review as I consider those wheels to be super stiff. I'll cross post here.

Enve bars are the full 700mm width, like you said they look a bit XC in comparison to a 'normal' sized bike. The bars are the same width as my other MTB, the reach is about 10mm longer on the HB, perfect for sliding around on the saddle in my XC Lycra ;)

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Howdy Softek, I run X9 crank arms with an MRP Bling Ring (32T), not XX1. If the XX1 crankset came in 180mm lengths, then yes, I'd run them without the E*13 guide. The guide isn't really needed on a XC bike but it weighs bugger all so it is there as a bit of security/peace of mind.

Thanks JD, I'm really enjoying this HT business... very responsive, super fast and much more comfortable than I was prepared for. I've ridden at Warramate, You Yangs, YT and a local big elevation trail here in Eildon in the last two weeks. Life is great!
yeah a new dialled bike makes life great - simple pleasures in life. When you think about how much time/thoughts you invest in MTBs related to funds invested - it is a very cheap passion for the output. If I got paid for my interest in all things MTBing I would be very wealthy.

I am voting for this one to be bike of the week - BOTW

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
Enve bars are the full 700mm width, like you said they look a bit XC in comparison to a 'normal' sized bike. The bars are the same width as my other MTB, the reach is about 10mm longer on the HB, perfect for sliding around on the saddle in my XC Lycra ;)
I hear ya, yep I am running the ENVE bars too, though have cut mine down to 660mm but my bike is the Medium so they almost look a bit moto in comparison. Though I have set the cockpits up bw my mtb's so that when I get on the start point is essentially the same (allowing for suspension sag, BB heights etc).

Also on rims I mated Hope Pro2 Hubs onto rebirthed Amercian Classic V rims (clarification, my mate built them up for me).

I could still get quite a bit of weight savings but choose to run my bikes on a balance bw robustness and lightness so dont see myself making any wholesale changes in the short term. You have done a fantastic job in getting an XXL to 9.5kgs, that is respectfully obscene - congrats! There are just so many nice bikes getting built out there, it's a good thing.

Will look to post a pic if I have a current one.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
the more XXL bikes being built = more XXL bikes will be available second hand in the coming years. The only way i will get to throw my leg over that machine is if OCD sells it too me or we start dating, he passes away and leave it to me in his will.

OCD you must be getting slightly bored with your Yeti by now and are already looking towards your next build. Ads/Ansonline/Sumgy/Monks and other giant mountain men - look away now - I have first dibs - I found OCD first

Big JD

Wheel size expert
niner carbon fork

oh on another note..............................

I remember seeing an ad in the for sale section from a gent who wanted to swap a Niner carbon fork with 1/8 steerer for a suspension fork...... how did you go mate

I am looking for a 1/8 carbon fork for my SS 29er - anyone?

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
oh on another note..............................

I remember seeing an ad in the for sale section from a gent who wanted to swap a Niner carbon fork with 1/8 steerer for a suspension fork...... how did you go mate

I am looking for a 1/8 carbon fork for my SS 29er - anyone?
I thought you were done with clown wheels?