Post your All MTN/Funduro hardtail

jimipolar

Likes Bikes
What frame is that? it looks familiar.

And you hit the trails with rigid forks? I thought I was being adventurous getting a hardtail, couldn't imagine riding without suspension up front.
Thanks for taking some interest Mike.

The frame is nothing spectacular, it's from an old Shogun mountain bike. Finish came out pretty good on it, ha ha it took me 3 days to strip it all down and hand polish the alloy up to that shine. It's a small frame, super light.

I've been burning around the city on it for the past 3 months, taking stairs and drops with ease. When you hop back on a bike with a rigid fork you feel closer to the ground somehow. I am interested in developing my riding technique so i wanted to rebuild this bike to feel the ground more. Might sound a little unforgiving, but carbon flexes in a ways unlike steel. It feels smooth. On or off the trails.

I spec'd out the bike with a new drivetrain, sticking to 7 speed but utilising a Saint short cage derailleur to minimise chatter, they're sprung tight and it really helps to keep the chain tucked up neat.

Went back to a wide stance on the front end too, still getting used to the extra width, i am taking tight gaps with a bit more care till i work it all out, but it makes it much easier to throw around :)

It's geared tight, 28 tooth chainring and a 12 - 21 cluster. Just enough to make the climbs and to not spin out on descents.

samlu

Likes Bikes
Whats your budget? Are you looking for a complete bike or you willing to go for a custom build?

I've just placed an order for a Cotic BFe, will be doing a custom build with 160mm forks to give me a little room for error on the steeper descents. If you google All mountain hardtail heaps of options will come up, the ones that I noticed popping up a lot were -

- Evil Sovereign
- Transition Trans Am
- On One 456 (think theres a carbon and steel version of this frame)
- Ragely Blue Pig
- Dialled Alpine
- Santa Cruz Chameleon
- Production Privee Shan
- Chromag Stylus
- Commencal Ramones
- Cove Stiffee
- Stanton Slackline
Budget is fairly open ended as I've sold my car and will be selling 4 bikes to fund it. I'd be willing to spend 7/8k at least and probably looking at a custom build. Would 160mm forks limit the bikes climbing ability? The Lynskey that was posted further up looks like it would be a fun bike!

agentninety3

Likes Dirt
Budget is fairly open ended as I've sold my car and will be selling 4 bikes to fund it. I'd be willing to spend 7/8k at least and probably looking at a custom build. Would 160mm forks limit the bikes climbing ability? The Lynskey that was posted further up looks like it would be a fun bike!
Shan with a TALAS out front would be pretty decent I'd imagine. You can always lock out the forks on the way up, and the TALAS would give a nice touch of adjustment for different conditions.

loc81

Likes Dirt
..Would 160mm forks limit the bikes climbing ability? The Lynskey that was posted further up looks like it would be a fun bike!
If you already have a fun, DH mentality on the anthem (they are 120mm yeah?) then even a 160mm fork may be too much, especially if the frame you buy has a more relaxed HA than an anthem to begin with. A TALAS or the like might be a better option? Your previous garage of bikes is pretty diverse!

My blog: www.justmytype81.wordpress.com
Stuff about stuff I like- bikes, music, food and laughs. Subscribe.

Mopageboy

Likes Bikes
It's my hardtail I try to take on everything. I just fitted a wigdit so i'll see how that goes on sat!
My Bike.jpg

All stock 2009 Alias, hasn't failed me yet.

loc81

Likes Dirt
It's my hardtail I try to take on everything. I just fitted a wigdit so i'll see how that goes on sat!
View attachment 255233

All stock 2009 Alias, hasn't failed me yet.
Love your work! This model Alias was my wife's first bike and I wish I kept it instead of her going to a duelly. Give it a hard time- a great value bike even if it isn't exactly made for AM. Surprised you haven't changed the fork?

Mopageboy

Likes Bikes
Love your work! This model Alias was my wife's first bike and I wish I kept it instead of her going to a duelly. Give it a hard time- a great value bike even if it isn't exactly made for AM. Surprised you haven't changed the fork?
Maybe next? More upgrades are more likely than a new bike. I think it's his birthday today... 4 years old now, I got it at the end of jan 2009!

lb1

Likes Bikes
Brand new 17.5" Cove Stiffee. Ready to be built from the ground up. Will take a while, but can't wait to get going!

Attachments

haritone

Likes Dirt
looks cool,but im not sold on the DT forks...how do they stack up?
I was a bit sceptical at first too but at the time I was searching for a 140mm fork with 1-1/8" steerer and that narrowed my choices a bit. I ended up picking up the twin shot DTs at a bargain price and can say I have been nothing but pleased with them after nearly 2 years. It doesn't soak up all the little bumps but is very rigid and really complements the bike's handling/geometry.

loc81

Likes Dirt
Ready to roll!

Hey Y'all,

Very excited to show off my Cotic BFe!
This build came about after many weeks talking with a riding buddy (MATTY R) about wanting a fun HT instead of this XC 29r HT business. I spent god knows how many nights online reading up on frames, parts and the way people have specc'd these things. I should point out that this very thread was a wealth of information and inspiration so cheers for all your input!
This started as a "I'll save up for the frame and chip away at the rest over 6 months" type of project. I just looked and my first email "tyre kicking" to Tom at Cotic was January 9th so things really moved along quickly! Build was a combination of online, LBS and second hand parts which were from a mate and they had only about 30km ride time.

- Wheels are Hope/Stan's flow EX combo. The reviews on these plus the CRC price meant these were a must!
- X9 rear and X7 shifter.
- Used my old 32t Widgit but bought black guides for them. 10 speed rear.
- New but cheap-ish seat post. X Tech I think?
- Ti rail, WTB laser V saddle half price. Sweet!
- 150mm float FiT dropped to 130mm at the moment. As soon as I ordered the green frame I saw these on here. Black with green decals? Sold. Thanks Gripper.
- 720mm Answer carbon AM bar (200g!) and Truvativ AKA 70mm stem.
- XLS cranks and Oh and Elixer 5 brakes. Not ground breaking but they get the job done!
- 2.35 Hans Damph tyres. So used to 2.2s and the like on my other bike- these things are huge!

Weight? Not sure but I'm guessing in the 12's. Really keen to find out though as I'm suprised as to how light it feels for a spec that IMO could take plenty of rough stuff.
Can't wait for this rain to stop for a ride. I'm used to large frames on recent bikes but all reports suggest a medium is fine for me so that's what I went for here. Cotic talk a lot about their frames being low and "flickable" and without even a proper ride I can notice this from my stretched out Pivot! Also, even with a 130mm fork the HA is quite relaxed. I"ll probably get back on here later with a ride report (coming from many years of DS bikes, it will be interesting!) but this sort of bike would be very, very versatile with an adjustable fork.

Cheers, Loc

image.jpgimage_1.jpgimage_2.jpg

lb1

Likes Bikes
That's awesome, loc81. That's the exact same frame I've got coming (should be here next week!).
I'd love to hear a ride report with the forks. I'm currently trying to decide which forks to buy. I was thinking a 160mm, but I'd like to have travel adjust for the hills. Be keen to here how it rides with the Fox's at 150mm though!

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
7259C801-6ACB-48EC-A23D-1555F86AD19B-3416-000003E80CAF2FB0_zps3c58d0c3.jpg

The Pig. Have been using it with big ring and slicks as a road trainer, but converted it back to trail-spec this morning.

lb1

Likes Bikes
[QUOTE

The Pig. Have been using it with big ring and slicks as a road trainer, but converted it back to trail-spec this morning.[/QUOTE]

Sweet. how much travel do you run on that?