NSW Mill Creek Conservation Park (Menai) - MTB Trail building Thread

markb84

Likes Dirt
Why did the berm after the three drop/jumps get pulled apart?
That section needed to be rebuilt properly now that the appropriate materials are available. Previously it was mostly made of branches, it'll be rebuilt using rock once the top section is complete and the entry speed can be worked out.

markb84

Likes Dirt
Build Day this weekend - Saturday 11th May

For any of you who aren't on the mailing list, there is a build day this Saturday.

Meeting at 7:45am, same place as normal. Little forest road, turn off new Illawarra road towards the tip then stay right and meet by the gate.

Gates will be closed at 8:05.

Plan for the day is to work on 2 sections:
1. Continuing rock work
2. Another trail diversion

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
on the subject of trail buildiling , I was just flicking through
one of the magazines and saw an article on NZ, one of the trails
had this thing called the Thing-a-majig it looked like a wooden
roller caoster!!!!!
now that's the crazy shizel we should build :):):)

You'll probably learn that there's a pretty strong aversion to crazy wooden features around these forums.... at least there used to be!

dcrofty

Eats Squid
You'll probably learn that there's a pretty strong aversion to crazy wooden features around these forums.... at least there used to be!
If by crazy you mean poorly built, dangerous, makes us look bad, crappy pallet 'notshore' then yeah, I'd put my hand up for discouraging it and I've pulled a bit out in my time.

Properly built stuff in an appropriate situation- go right ahead. Built my fair share of that too. But its so rare.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If by crazy you mean poorly built, dangerous, makes us look bad, crappy pallet 'notshore' then yeah, I'd put my hand up for discouraging it and I've pulled a bit out in my time.

Properly built stuff in an appropriate situation- go right ahead. Built my fair share of that too. But its so rare.

Agree. We find it tends to cost at least $500 to build something decent and do it properly. But it's worth it.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
bring your bike ... I think we'll be finishing early as the new section is pretty much on rock ... and Kevin has to leave at approx 11.30ish

Its a good opportunity to reccy a new optional track on the otherside of the creek and or the return leg.

If you get annoyed easily with stop start riding ... you might want to give this bit a miss

tech.itch

Cannon Fodder
Hi Guys,

This place sounds exciting, is it open to the public yet?
If not when do you expect it to be open?

Cheers & thanks for your hard work

Filthyfrother

Likes Bikes
Lost Leatherman on saturday at mill creek

Did anyone come across a leatherman multi tool on Saturday? It was in a leather pouch.
ive lost it somewhere along the way. found a hole in the bottom of my bag that it may just have fit through. (It could also be in Kevins car, so ill chase that up with him..)

Cheers, Azz..

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
Bikesarefun , the crazy board walk thing I was refering to is in one of NZd's
mountain bike parks !
it is properly constructed and not just slapped together .
I'm guessing you didn't read the article :)

JBR

Likes Dirt
I have a bit of down time tomorrow so I might go out there and have a poke around for you, see if I can find it.

Justin

Did anyone come across a leatherman multi tool on Saturday? It was in a leather pouch.
ive lost it somewhere along the way. found a hole in the bottom of my bag that it may just have fit through. (It could also be in Kevins car, so ill chase that up with him..)

Cheers, Azz..

-EMMETT-

Squid
Can someone confirm, is this the same track i read about awhile ago that the council had approved and were chipping in about $80,000 (from memory) to?
It said it will be suitable for all skill levels from families to professionals..?
Thanks, really been looking forward to this.

Bike bender

Cannon Fodder
This is my first post so hi everyone.
Just wondering, will the build day remain on a Saturday for the entire project or will there be a Sunday option. I'm really keen to do my part to help out but Saturdays I have other commitments.
Secondly, i've seen the pictures on facebook and was wondering if there will be some really technical sections and some good dh runs included?

Thanks for all the work you guys are doing. Hope to help out soon.

Cheers
Vinnie.

willsy01

Eats Squid
Can someone confirm, is this the same track i read about awhile ago that the council had approved and were chipping in about $80,000 (from memory) to?
It said it will be suitable for all skill levels from families to professionals..?
Thanks, really been looking forward to this.
Yeah, sounds like one and the same. The vision is to have a precinct where you can take the whole family......mum/dad can head out on the (eventual) blue and black trails while there is a green loop for kids and those just getting into it as well as the skills park and a BMX track.

We only get a half day per month so progress isn't exactly blistering. That said, there's a consistently good turn out each month and we do get quite a bit done.

This is my first post so hi everyone.
Just wondering, will the build day remain on a Saturday for the entire project or will there be a Sunday option. I'm really keen to do my part to help out but Saturdays I have other commitments.
Secondly, i've seen the pictures on facebook and was wondering if there will be some really technical sections and some good dh runs included?

Thanks for all the work you guys are doing. Hope to help out soon.

Cheers
Vinnie.
Pretty sure it will remain on a Saturday due to there needing to be a council ranger present at all build days. I don't think there's any plans for DH.

Bike bender

Cannon Fodder
Yeah, sounds like one and the same. The vision is to have a precinct where you can take the whole family......mum/dad can head out on the (eventual) blue and black trails while there is a green loop for kids and those just getting into it as well as the skills park and a BMX track.

We only get a half day per month so progress isn't exactly blistering. That said, there's a consistently good turn out each month and we do get quite a bit done.

Pretty sure it will remain on a Saturday due to there needing to be a council ranger present at all build days. I don't think there's any plans for DH.
Fair enough. Thanks