Formula One world championship

Ivan

Eats Squid
Like it or not that's exactly what happens when you remove the aero from an F1 car.
That's a bit disingenuous and callous. Aero doesn't improve safety, if anything it reduces it with higher corner speeds and smaller braking zones, which reduces the margin of error. Drivers will always drive within the limits of the vehicle they have. MotoGP had no aero, and those guys seem to survive with less protection than 4 wheel drivers.

F1 stopped being about leading edge technology when they started banning active aero and traction control.

Anyway, back OT to the championship.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
That's a bit disingenuous and callous. Aero doesn't improve safety, if anything it reduces it with higher corner speeds and smaller braking zones, which reduces the margin of error. Drivers will always drive within the limits of the vehicle they have. MotoGP had no aero, and those guys seem to survive with less protection than 4 wheel drivers.
Jochen Rindt deliberately removed the wings from his car thinking that it would be more of an advantage on a track like Monza. It wasn't. And callous? eh?

Too soon? :rolleyes:

Comparing Moto GP and their lack of 'aero' to F1 is like comparing apples and people on f***ing motorbikes. For one thing, the human body with it's dynamic positioning acts as a fairly intelligent form of aero in itself. Secondly, it's only been 2 years since there last was a rider fatality in Moto GP. It's been almost 20 for F1.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I have a solution to spice F1 up: Run two races; one Saturday and one Sunday. The Saturday race grid is made up of your qualifying time but reversed so fastest starts last. Award the same points for that as you would for Sunday's race which which is started in the order you qualified prior to Saturday's race..........if there are any cars left.

akashra

Eats Squid
I have a solution to spice F1 up: Run two races; one Saturday and one Sunday. The Saturday race grid is made up of your qualifying time but reversed so fastest starts last. Award the same points for that as you would for Sunday's race which which is started in the order you qualified prior to Saturday's race..........if there are any cars left.
Ive long suggested there should be a Saturday 'sprint' race, with a third/development driver - make it count towards the constructors championship. This would appease teams like Ferrari who want three car teams.

Zam

Likes Dirt
While a reverse grid format has its merits, I think in the long run it would become far too expensive to sustain due to amount of carnage there would be each race weekend...

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I reckon adding the option to discard a drivers worst result for the season would add a bit of spice and make stuff interesting. Make the option to discard the result at any point in the season and it'd be like having a wild draw four up your sleeve if you didn't fuck up early on.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Even better, run the F1 and celebrity race at the same time. F1 in one direction, celebrities the other direction. Carnage and lots of B grade celebrities no longer a problem in society.

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I reckon adding the option to discard a drivers worst result for the season would add a bit of spice and make stuff interesting. Make the option to discard the result at any point in the season and it'd be like having a wild draw four up your sleeve if you didn't fuck up early on.
this would only really punish someone who managed to finish in the points in every race, I would say it is rare that any driver would do this - most would have at least 1 DNF or out of the points race finish making this a low impact tactic.

sounds like pirelli are actively trying to reduce the marbling on the tyres which should reduce the zero-grip zones on some circuits and therefore reduce the penalty for being off the racing line and increase overtaking.

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
this would only really punish someone who managed to finish in the points in every race, I would say it is rare that any driver would do this - most would have at least 1 DNF or out of the points race finish making this a low impact tactic.
Maybe you'd have to not include DNFs perhaps? And re-jig the points system? I dunno.

Old Shagger

Farkin Legend
So do any of u guys that r posting want to join the tipping with us on superbru, or r u afraid of Dozer whipping ur little asses, like red bull will again to Ferrari and others!!!!

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So do any of u guys that r posting want to join the tipping with us on superbru, or r u afraid of Dozer whipping ur little asses, like red bull will again to Ferrari and others!!!!
I joined up. I don't entirely understand it but I'm sure it beats brain numbingly fucking inane office footy tipping pools.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Streaming

Online streaming
So how do I go about this, what is the best site to use, are you guys who do this using BBC or ten?
Which one has no ads and if you can what sort of data usage does it take to watch the full race in HD.

al_

Likes Dirt
Sooo.......who's actually going to the race next week? Bueller? Bueller?
I might head in to check out the new turbo f1s - I live 100m from the track so feel a bit left out when I don't go along.

The circuit is looking great anyway. The grand prix stuff definitely adds a bit of excitement to my daily commute.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I might head in to check out the new turbo f1s - I live 100m from the track so feel a bit left out when I don't go along.

The circuit is looking great anyway. The grand prix stuff definitely adds a bit of excitement to my daily commute.
Shit hot, I'm sure a few of us would love to drop in to you rplace between sessions and say G'day. Do you know how to make scones? What about ANZAC biccies? The beer fridge running? ;)
Have you done a Strava run on the track yet?

al_

Likes Dirt
Shit hot, I'm sure a few of us would love to drop in to you rplace between sessions and say G'day. Do you know how to make scones? What about ANZAC biccies? The beer fridge running? ;)
Have you done a Strava run on the track yet?
I'm angling for an invite to a client's office on Queens Rd near turn 12! Their 13th floor cafe has an epic view of the track.

I did a few laps on the way home tonight but didn't have strava running. I'll fire it up tomorrow and see if I can Schumi's lap record on my fixie. The construction work for the race is a pain in the arse, but it is amazing watching the place transform.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I did a few laps on the way home tonight but didn't have strava running. I'll fire it up tomorrow and see if I can Schumi's lap record on my fixie. The construction work for the race is a pain in the arse, but it is amazing watching the place transform.
You need to be hitting this sort of pace...

[video=youtube;pCyKqpNr244]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCyKqpNr244[/video]